Looking to buy an Ak. What do I need to know?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Like the title says. I'm looking get into AKs. Want to go with 7.62x39, fixed or side folder stock. What should I look for? Any brands to avoid or recommend?

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    From a good price point and reviews. The psa gen 3 ak seem to be really good. I have a maadi thats been great.

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    Avoid most American made as much as possible. Standard advice is get a Wasr or Serbian Pap or the WBP Jack rifles. Atlantic Firearms also does fairly decent kit builds. Avoid the Century VSKA, Ras, or anything else they build (Wasr is imported by Century and thus, just fine). Basically, stick with either reputably built parts kit builds or imports. Also, don't fall for the "Polish" hellpup garbage that Classic firearms sells. PSA does make AKs but personally I wouldn't recommend u less you're willing to do the QC on their behalf. There's tons of info and a few knowledgeable people here, just ask around.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    I saw an Arsonal side folder for around $1200 at a local shop. In the minute or so I held it it looked good, but then I don't really know what to look for. I heard that Century Wasrs had issues in the past with canted front sight blocks and loose mag wells. Is that still true?

Devilpig

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2018
    Northeast Indy
    I saw an Arsonal side folder for around $1200 at a local shop. In the minute or so I held it it looked good, but then I don't really know what to look for. I heard that Century Wasrs had issues in the past with canted front sight blocks and loose mag wells. Is that still true?
    If you saw an Arsenal side folder for 1200 you should snatch that right up. Those are regularly going for over 2k. Yes Wasrs have been imported with canted sights and all that and it was fairly common 10 years ago, especially with 10/63s. The new WASR 10s are that have been coming in the last few years are good to go, like everything you have to give it a once over before buying.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If you saw an Arsenal side folder for 1200 you should snatch that right up. Those are regularly going for over 2k. Yes Wasrs have been imported with canted sights and all that and it was fairly common 10 years ago, especially with 10/63s. The new WASR 10s are that have been coming in the last few years are good to go, like everything you have to give it a once over before buying.
    I agree with this. That’s a good price for an Arsenal right now. Which model?

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    The $1000-1500 range will get you a good AK
    WBP Jack
    Zastava M70
    Hungarian AK63 at Atlantic Firearms
    I'd personally grab an Arsenal if possible for the $1500 but if you can't then the Zastava M70 is extremely hard to beat for $950. Best import for the money right now. I'd avoid Pioneer Arms for the moment until their newest offerings have been throughly tested by 3rd parties. Same for Riley Defense

knutty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 5, 2016
    Noblesville
    Zastava ZPAP, WBP Jack or FB Radom Beryl

I wouldn't recommend any Arsenal rifle made after 2019.

I wouldnt recommend a WASR either unless you know what to look for before buying/transferring.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    You can still find a Norinco MAK-90 for under $1500. Best factory trigger of any AK imported into the land of shall not be infringed. If you can put up with the Bush-hole stock, great. If you want to remove (and save) that abomination and install the standard stock and pistol grip, great too but make sure the rear of the receiver is straight cut (squared off) and not angle cut. Do it quickly as Chinese stock parts are skyrocketing like the rifle.

As others have said, the newer WASR-10s and ZPAPs are also good choices.

Top Bottom