• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gvbcraig

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 10, 2009
    Southwest Fort Wayne
    I recently bought a MI Garand with an new, uninstalled 308 barrel. I've been told that the barrel needs to reamed before installation. This is way beyond my abilities.

Does anyone know a gunsmith in the Fort Wayne area that can is proficient at M1 conversion?

I do get to the Tipton / Kokomo area on occasion as well.

bab2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    SW Fort Wayne
    I believe Hillside Shooting Sports maybe able to provide assistance or point you the right direction. IIRC the owner, Greg, is very knowledgeable with M1 and has a few for sale there, many rebuilt/restored.

web site is hillsideshootingsports.com and location is Roanoke.

I am not associated to this store/range.;)

Last edited:

brcrbn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    From reading posts on here for a couple of months, I would direct any question on this rifle to (excuse the mispelling) ingo member sloughfoot. From his posts he is well versed in this rifle. My 2 cents....

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Contact Jerry Johnson. He is listed in the gunsmith FAQ's. 260-693-1902 evenings.

He is a highly experienced M1, M1A, and 1911 gunsmith.

Last edited:

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    Most replacement barrels come from the manufacturer "short-chambered". This is done so that optimum headspace for your particular rifle can be established after it has been installed on the receiver. IMHO, on a conversion such as this it's generally a good idea to use a 7.62x51 NATO finish reamer and headspace gauges rather than .308 Winchester, but that's up to you and the gunsmith.

On some barrels, the gas port may need to be either located/drilled or finish-reamed to spec once it's been installed. Installing a spacer block in the magazine well to prevent the inadvertant loading of a clip of .30-06 is also a good idea.

My own M1 was purchased in large part because it'd already been rebuilt/converted to 7.62x51 and I've been very happy with it. Milsurp/spec 7.62x51 ammo was/is usually both less expensive and more easily obtained IME, which was a sizable factor in the choice. Otherwise, it still uses the same clips, springs, etc. which are still plentiful and easy to get.

One really nice accessory you might want to consider is the Schuster adjustable gas plug. It's DCM legal and allows you to "tune" your gas system for optimum function and (usually) a bit better accuracy with a much wider variety of loads. About $35, IIRC, and worth it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    That's .308 Winchester, Spike. The .30-30/.30 WCF is a whole 'nother animal and predates the 7.62x51/.308 by half a century.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Did it shock that a 3006 is a 7.62 by 63.
    measure it and then comment.
    YES the bullet head is different: 3030 30 cal has a blunt tip, 7.62 30 cal bullet has a point.

Yes it predates it but still the same

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville

No. Should it? I mean, it's been around for over 110 years.....We're kind of passed the shock point in it's lifecycle.

Spike,
    The .308 Winchester is similar to the 7.62 NATO.....the 7.62 NATO is a specification.

30-30 Winchester is a completely different cartridge.

Left to right:

.223.....30-30...... .308 Win
    200px-30-30.jpg

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    YES the bullet head is different: 3030 30 cal has a blunt tip, 7.62 30 cal bullet has a point.

Yes it predates it but still the same

Spike, what shocks me is that you can't seem to discern the other obvious differences between these two entirely different cartridges.

The fact that the .30-30 Winchester has the same nominal bullet diameter in no way renders it interchangable with or "the same" as the 7.62x51 or any other .30 cal. round. Check out Streck's pics and see if that doesn't help you straighten things out for you.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    Not in Ind. but close, [Jerome MI] is Suffs parkerizing. I have never dealt with him, but his reputation and work are stellar. If anything, he has some really cool M1 mods. to checkout. A mini-G is diffidently on my must have list :cool:

Top Bottom