• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drussell077

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2013
    Livingston
    So i was researching rainwater collection systems, and i was thinking. I want a tank big enough to run my entire house. Need it to run on solar panels.

So i'm thinking -

Solar water pump with filter(to make it drinkable)
    Solar hot water heater

I just want to be self sufficient and not use any electricity or water

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm going to bet you'll find a well would be cheaper, more efficient, and infinitely more reliable. You'd have to have a lot of roof space and a pretty big cistern to live off rainwater.

When I was about 7 we didn't have running water in the house. We pumped creek water into 55 gallon drums near the house and then pumped that into the house to fill the tub, etc. Eventually we dug a cistern, and that helped, but get a good stretch without rain and you're calling the water man to come deliver a truck load. I don't know if the water man still exists any longer, or if like the milk man he's pretty much disappeared.

Anyway, when I moved back there the first thing I did was have a well dug. It cost me about $3k, but it refills at 10 gallons per minute and never went dry. It was good enough that when they finally ran city water out that way in '03 or '04 I didn't bother to hook into it.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Tons of commercial solar pumps out there. Most are for agriculture, but should work fine for home use. You'll need something of decent "size" to run an entire house at the pressure and volume you are used to.

I "rigged" something for my garden. It works OK, but would need a major rework to scale up to a house. Solar panel, deep-cycle battery, 12V pump (for a camper), and a switch. Fine for running a drip system. You couldn't take a shower with it, though!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I dont trust the crap they put in shingles, and that I assume would cause minor contamination to your water supply.

While it sounds like a good idea in theory, in my head (right or wrong) I wouldnt do it until I replaced the asphalt shingles with a shiny new steel roof (or even cedar shakes or slate but thats EXPENSIVE).

Top Bottom