• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dhayse32

Plinker
    Apr 21, 2009
    I am in the market for a new Muzzleloader. I just bought a new Sig P250 so I am a little low in "me" money. I was looking at the CVAs and the Traditions, TC wants too much for me right now. Can anyone give me some feeback on the these guns? Is a CVA or Traditions that much lower quality that a TC? I am leaning towards a CVA Accura...anyone had any experience with this one?

Thanks everyone.

zcam630

Plinker
    Nov 9, 2008
    Somewhere
    I think Hickman recently picked up an Accura. I my self bought the Optima last week. While I have not had the chance to shoot it, I really like the feel and balance. I think CVA makes a good muzzle loader and one that will last you for quite a while. Granted T/C makes some great higher end rifles, but I'm not always sure that with T/C there is not marked up due to the name. :yesway:

dhayse32

Plinker
    Apr 21, 2009
    Awesome. I was looking at the Optima too I haven't looked too much in to it. Thanks for the information

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I have a CVA optima that I bought I believe in 03,really good gun accurate at 100 yrds, and I have killed many deer with it. Well worth the money.

Tiki bar

Plinker
    Nov 18, 2009
    I bought a cva wolf @ dick's last year for 150.00 , plenty accurate for deer to 100-125 yds. It's nothing fancy but works very well. Also has a shorter barrel than most ml's , lighter and easy to carry in the woods.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Dec 6, 2009
    If you are looking for a low priced ML, Big R has one on sale right now for 99.00. It's a CVA, don't know the model though.......R

NullSyndrome

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Gilbert, AZ
    I have a CVA Optima in .45 and I like it. Some rough tooling marks, etc., but it shoots well, and you can't beat the price. Easy to remove the barrel and clean. My advice is to make sure you get a break-action style like the Optima. The bolt-action types are a pain IMHO.

x10

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    If I may suggest Muzzle loader season is just about over, Save your money and get a savage and never look at black powder again,

Even the BP subs are not as clean as smokeless powder and you can get pretty good velocity out of the Savage ML

dhayse32

Plinker
    Apr 21, 2009
    If I may suggest Muzzle loader season is just about over, Save your money and get a savage and never look at black powder again,

Even the BP subs are not as clean as smokeless powder and you can get pretty good velocity out of the Savage ML

I'm a rookie here but anyway you can give me the differences between say a Savage ML and a typical CVA or TC?

Thanks!

Also, I am in no hurry, other than the deal Cabelas has for the Accura...if I heard great things about it I might buy the BLK/Stainless for $289, but I have nearly a year before I really need a ML. Thanks

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    The Savage ML can use Smokeless powder (the kind used in centerfire rounds). Cleaning is easy because Smokeless is noncorrosive. It cleans just like any other Centerfire Gun. The other M/Ls have to use Blackpowder or Blackpowder subs like Triple Seven. Blackpowder and subs leaves behind residue which requires cleaning or your M/L will rust. The Savage, when you use smokeless, will give you greater velocities and therefore longer distance shots are feasible.
    I have a Traditions Yukon with Scope. I got it at Wal-Mart 2 years ago for $199.00. Shoots great. I hunt in heavy woods so my shots are under 50 yards.

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Dec 6, 2009
    The Savage ML can use Smokeless powder (the kind used in centerfire rounds). Cleaning is easy because Smokeless is noncorrosive. It cleans just like any other Centerfire Gun. The other M/Ls have to use Blackpowder or Blackpowder subs like Triple Seven. Blackpowder and subs leaves behind residue which requires cleaning or your M/L will rust. The Savage, when you use smokeless, will give you greater velocities and therefore longer distance shots are feasible.
    I have a Traditions Yukon with Scope. I got it at Wal-Mart 2 years ago for $199.00. Shoots great. I hunt in heavy woods so my shots are under 50 yards.

I bought a Savage a couple of years ago. Sure is nice to be able to shoot shot after shot and not have to swab the barrel, since there is no build-up from the blackpowder. It is also nice to be able to see where you shot since there isn't a big puff of smoke after shooting. They are rather pricey though. I think the cheapest one is around 500.00. I bought the camo and stainless one and paid about 600.00 for it.....R

x10

Master
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    2 good posts, the first deer I killed was right at 221 yds

THE ONLY downside to the savage you have to make sure you get modern Highpressure Sabots

Rshelbu

Plinker
    Dec 6, 2009
    2 good posts, the first deer I killed was right at 221 yds

THE ONLY downside to the savage you have to make sure you get modern Highpressure Sabots

One more thing that is different is that you have to weigh the powder rather tham measure it......R

Kimber7man

Plinker
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lawrence
    With Blackhorn 209 smokeless powder substitute for muzzleloaders now, you don't have to worry about the "crud ring" from Triple 7, or even swabbing your ML every few shots like you do with Triple 7.

Only you will know for sure, but most who buy a T/C (Omega or the new Triumph) don't pitch it and buy another. On the other hand, if you buy cheap and don't like it, you're gonna spend even more money to get a better ML. If you've got a year to get it, save up and get a good one!

ddewyse

Plinker
    Oct 12, 2009
    North Central Indiana
    My $0.02 on your first ML: If you are new to the ML sport, I would suggest not spending an boat-load of money to begin with. Think about the following when looking for a shooter:
    1. Stay away from the flint lock style or No 11 / musket caps and go with the 209 barrel break models
    2. Camo stock is really cool but I don't think the deer actually care
    3. Do you really need to shoot 150 grains of powder? If not, don't buy a Magnum model and pay the extra money. 100 grain (2 pellets) is more than enough to get you to 120 yards with some knock down power.
    4. You are most likely going only use it 2 to 3 weeks a year. Buy accordingly.

I bought a CVA Kodiak 209 in-line break barrel for my son about 2 years ago after the season was over for about $190 out the door. We love this gun. With a scope and over / under sight rings, it will hold a great patten at 100 yards.
    ENJOY!!!!

fst aslp

Marksman
    Dec 9, 2009
    Zionsville, IN
    I have a NEF Sidekick, and I love it. It is very accurate and is easy to clean. I got it for about 150 I believe and added a pine ridge scope and a sling.

One other thing that took me a while to figure out was when I first started shooting at the range or before going into the woods, I would fire 2 caps through it to dry/blow out any moisture in the gun. Doing this has proved very useful and I no longer get hang/miss fires.

This is the one I have:
    New England Firearms Sidekick

M88A1

Marksman
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I went with the CVA Wolf, .50 cal Camo/Blue. $200 at wally world. It fires nice and smooth, didnt feel hardly any kick to it. I'm glad I got the CVA with the removeable breach plug, sure made cleaning so easy. Light weight short barrel, good brush gun.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Feb 18, 2009
    If you are just using it for hunting and really don't care much about what gun you have, any cheap muzzleloader will be fine as long as it's a break open design. CVA's work fine. I personally have a super cheap CVA wolf knockoff, I've never missed a deer with. Probably 10 deer shot with it between me and friends. It shoots pleanty well at 100yds for hunting purposes. Probably better than most rifled slug guns. I know there are much better out there, but I just don't care to spend alot and care much for muzzleloaders other than using them as a tool for hunting.

The savage imho is the best muzzleloader out there with no close second. I've considered purchasing one many times. I just don't want to spend $500-$700 and only use it during the muzzleloader season. I'm sure you could use it during the firearms season also, but I prefer a rifle.

Top Bottom