• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Any of you facilities maintenance guys on here have a good lead acid battery preventive maintenance plan your willing to share?? Trying to set up a PM on some auxilliary batteries we have on some pre-lube pumps but don't want to re-invent the wheel if I don't have to. Yeah, I can write it start to finish but I'm lazy so any contributions are appreciated!

Thanks!!:ingo:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I can give you what the government(Federal Aviation Administration) has me do. Are the batteries deep cyle or just regular start batteries? Are they vented, sealed or just have removable caps? 12v batteries? They used as standby emergency batteries or ??

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Remmie's right church. They're deep cycle., can't remember if sealed or screw cap. That'll have to wait for Monday.

Thanks!

You find out what the specs and even get me the make/model number on the battery and PM me with the info and your email and I'll send you over the PM schedule and maintenance tasks for the batteries.

I take care of all the batteries that are in our equipment at Terre Haute airport and remote sites which include generator start batteries, emergency backup batteries for equipment that pose a danger to the flying public when the power is lost to that equipment. Heck our written orders alone for generator start batteries are replace them every 4 years NO MATTER what their condition.

schhrdkncks

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ohio county Indiana
    I work in maintenance at a power plant.
    Monthly: check water levels on all batteries, check the voltage and take hydrometer readings on the pilot cells, make sure all batteries are clean

quarterly: check water levels,voltage,hydrometer, check for loose connections,and clean all batteries

yearly: quarterly plus check all connnections with a torque wrench

may have forgot something but hopefully this helps

church

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Margaritaville
    I work in maintenance at a power plant.
    Monthly: check water levels on all batteries, check the voltage and take hydrometer readings on the pilot cells, make sure all batteries are clean

quarterly: check water levels,voltage,hydrometer, check for loose connections,and clean all batteries

yearly: quarterly plus check all connnections with a torque wrench

may have forgot something but hopefully this helps

This is all i've ever known to do. Is there more? Please, teach me. I am an industrial maintenance tech, the last two companies i've worked for. All they've said is clean'em and put water in'em monthly. Yearly check with hydrometer.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    This is all i've ever known to do. Is there more? Please, teach me. I am an industrial maintenance tech, the last two companies i've worked for. All they've said is clean'em and put water in'em monthly. Yearly check with hydrometer.

Ill post up a copy of all my stuff tomorrow when I am at work. Copy and paste! ;)

But ALL cells should have their specific gravity checked and recorded Quarterly. Check and record pilot cell specific gravity Monthly. This data is used for trending and making it easy to spot a cell getting ready to shi^ to bed on you. All batteries should have their voltage measured and recorded Monthly. Load test batteries Annually (Not deep cycles). Non Start Engine Start batteries should have connection and batteries internal resistance measured by a CellCorder(Or equivalent) and recorded Quarterly. Theres more and it really depends on the type of battery and the purpose of the battery.
    The requirements I go by are for equipment that is used for Aviation Safety do your companies needs might be less. All data I measure has to be recorded and the paperwork has to be kept for as long as those specific batteries are still in use. Its all up to your company and how will they are to "worry" about the batteries.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Thanks for the help on this Remmy, being an AP myself (at one time) I can appreciate what you're dealing with as far as the FAA is concerned. I'm sure your specs will keep my hospital generators happy!!

Top Bottom