• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Who do you use to train your pointers/retrievers? I have a 6mo old German short hair/lab mix that needs to learn to hunt upland birds. I'd like to get him professionally trained and don't have time to do it myself. Who do you recommend? The closer to Ft Wayne the better but Indy is fine too

thanks!

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I would contact INGO member Josh Ward. He is a professional trainer. He specializes in retrievers, but I know he has worked with a few pointers in the past. Even if he can't help you with pointing dog training, I'm betting he knows trainers that specialize in pointing dogs. Either way, he is very knowledgeable, and probably can help you.

View Profile: Josh Ward - INGunOwners

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've got a friend on the Southside of Indy who has won many awards for his dogs. I can check with him to see if he can take on another. Let me know if the distance isn't a problem.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I would contact INGO member Josh Ward. He is a professional trainer. He specializes in retrievers, but I know he has worked with a few pointers in the past. Even if he can't help you with pointing dog training, I'm betting he knows trainers that specialize in pointing dogs. Either way, he is very knowledgeable, and probably can help you.

View Profile: Josh Ward - INGunOwners

I second Josh. He is the real deal and a great guy.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    Ray Weaver in Pierceton is pretty close to FW. My dad has had him train 5 retrievers over the last 25 or so years. He's a great guy and does a great job with dogs. He does everything from obedience training, to hunt test stuff.

He takes a trailer of dogs to SC every winter to train, so he probably won't be doing any training in IN until the end of March or April. So if you're not in a hurry, you might give him a call. Also you might check out a local hunt club for a referral. Backwater retriever club is down in Kosciusko County mostly, and they might know of a few other people.

I will mention in full disclosure that he's my god father and a close family friend.

Here's his website with contact info:
    Bittersweet Kennels | Gun Dog, Retriever, Hunt test, Hunting Dog training in Pierceton, Indiana

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I third Josh Ward.. Top notch

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]-- [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Ruger MK III, M&P & 1911mechanic [FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] –[/FONT] Certified Glock armorer

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    Ray Weaver in Pierceton. He has been in the game for years, honest as the day is long and very well priced. He's trained 2 Brittanies for a family member and also my Yellow Lab. These dogs came back on fire! Ray will even take your dog down to SC for winter and Spring training on quail.

phodegraaf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2020
    Bargersville
    need gun/bird dog trainer

I've got a friend on the Southside of Indy who has won many awards for his dogs. I can check with him to see if he can take on another. Let me know if the distance isn't a problem.

I'd be interested in connecting with this person. I know its an old post but hopefully he's still around. I'm in Bargersville

Top Bottom