• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I'm in the market for my first long gun. I have a dept issued 12 gauge and need to supplement that with a rifle. I want to go with a .308 due to ammo availability and increased power over the .223. Have thought about an AR-10 by H&K and DS Arms as well as the M1A. I will not be purchasing until the fall but wanted to get some expert advice on what direction to go. I don't buy many guns so I can afford to spend decent money on the few that I purchase, still have to justify the expense to my wife though:):. Thanks for the help.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    Sorry, I should have clarified a little more.

Not for patrol, my department would never trust me with something that they don't provide. I would use it primarily at the range and to rid my property of coyotes that are wanting to eat all the cats that my wife loves but I won't allow inside the house:D. The farthest I would need to shoot is about 200 yards but would do more at the range for fun.

I will have an easier time convincing the boss that I need an expensive (and fun) rifle than convincing her that I need more than one of any type of gun so I tend to go over the top with my purchases.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    A semi auto would be fun, but a bolt gun would be awesome. I'm getting the itch for a bolt gun after shooting a sweet .308 a couple weeks ago. There's something satisfying about cycling a bolt after hitting a long range target.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    A Savage 308 would be a good 1st high power rifle. They are relatively inexpensive compared to other makes, accurate and dependable. You might want to take a look at one of those. :twocents:

Sorry, for some reason I thought you said you wanted a bolt gun first. For an auto pick, go M1A and you'll never be sorry.

Last edited:

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    i too have been looking for a decent .308 bolt gun. right now 770 and the savage are what im considering, both seem to have good reviews, hope you find what your looking for

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    If your goin semi-auto go FAL - built like a tank, reliable as anything can be, 10lbs loaded isnt bad unless you pick up an stock ar15, the ar will feel lile a toy in comparison. Dsa offers a lot of options and with good ammo they can be 1-2 moa, im just a big fan so im kind of biased, i havent even shot mine yet, spent a lot of time on fal files learning about them though. You can slide a rail in place of the dust cover and quad rails are available too, mags are 13-25 dollars depending on condition and new polymer ones should be available within the next couple of months. I would go metric as its easier to find parts for and modify, para models with the folding skeleton stock are available if your into that, kind of pricey though. It kinds sounds like your wanting better accuracy though so...that probably rules the fal out compared to a bolt gun/ AR10/m14

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I have no expert opinion, but I have thoroughly enjoyed my Savage .308 bolt action over the past few months. It's pretty accurate and is set up with a pretty decent scope and a light trigger. It will shoot anything, but 175 grn provides the most consistent accuracy.

silent 50 cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    i own a savage 308 with a yhm can on it i dont care for savage stock but that a easy fix mine is a heavy barrled model 10 with acc trigger it shoots 168 grain siera very well it is quiet and very friendly to shoot, if i had to choose a bolt gun would be a very good choice.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    You can get a Savage Edge in .308. The package deal runs around $400. I have one in .223, and I'm impressed considering it's a budget rifle. I shot a couple of nice groups yesterday. One dime sized and one nickle sized 5 shot groups. It comes from the factory with a Bushnell 3x9x40 scope.

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    You seem to want a semi-auto so of course you are getting copious bolt rifle recommendations. You should've asked after bolts and you'd have received good semi advice.

I'm partial to FALs for nostalgia reasons, but in the US an AR-10 pattern rifle is more practical. Mags and repair parts are far more common and local gunsmiths are more familiar with them, should you ever want any work done. You also have more options for stocks and barrels and handguards, so more options for weight and handling.

Coyotes at 200 yards isn't a demanding application and I would expect any 308 semi that isn't broken would be up to the job. Bullet selection isn't critical there either, so you don't need to worry much about things like mag length. All in all it would be tough to make a bad choice. I would suggest trying to find a way to handle some candidate rifles to see which ergos feel best to you.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Remington GameMaster Model 760 Pump Carbine in 308 Winchester would fit your needs well and the wife will never see the large amount of money come out of the account. I delieve you could pick up a nice used model in the 400-500 range. It would complement the pump shotgun that is the issue arm well to prefect if you are using a 870 shotgun. You could get a nice scope and lot of ammo to feed it.

Browning make a-bolts, and weatherby makes the vangaurd at good prices for bolts.

IN 308 you can get just about any type, semi auto, lever, pump or bolt.

steve666

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Indianapolis Eastside
    In a bolt gun the CZ550 American is terrific. For a semi-auto I like the M1A, but am HIGHLY intrigued by the KelTec RFB bullpup:
    image_0a817544-cb20-4eb5-afcb-18914449658c.png

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Do what 80% of LE departments do (according to Remington), and get yourself a Remington 700 Police. You can find these at most resellers for $750 to $850, and you won't have to upgrade the stock or trigger to get the best out of your new stick.

My 700 Police:
    700pss20xsmall.jpg

My best 5-shot group to date:
    best5shot0182moa.jpg

...With an inexpensive ($299) Super Sniper scope no less.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I'm in the market for my first long gun. I have a dept issued 12 gauge and need to supplement that with a rifle. I want to go with a .308 due to ammo availability and increased power over the .223. Have thought about an AR-10 by H&K and DS Arms as well as the M1A. I will not be purchasing until the fall but wanted to get some expert advice on what direction to go. I don't buy many guns so I can afford to spend decent money on the few that I purchase, still have to justify the expense to my wife though:):. Thanks for the help.

Here ya go: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/long_guns_rifles_and_shotguns/144622-sad_story.html

Not mine, but thought it was a good price if it has already been shot and tested good for function. Just saw it while surfing around here during lunch. I already have a FAL or I would get this for a .308 bullet thrower. I have shot a CETME before and liked it, but already had the parts to build my FAL.

Magazines are cheaper than M1A or FAL mags, you can stock a bunch for very little. I think I even have 6 or 8 laying around I picked up years ago when they were dirt cheap. Loaded them up with surplus Lake City for eventual sell or trade when the spirit strikes me.

Top Bottom