• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Never heard of a Strouger, can you give me a bit of background?

The Stoeger, sorry I misspelled in in my previous post. It's identical to the Beretta Cougar, and is made in Turkey. Beretta sold them their tooling, and license to manufacture them. As Beretta no longer makes the Cougar model, because it was not a big seller for Beretta. They are a fantastic gun for the money. You can find blued models for around $400. My dad owned one for a while, and it was flawless.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    The Stoeger, sorry I misspelled in in my previous post. It's identical to the Beretta Cougar, and is made in Turkey. Beretta sold them their tooling, and license to manufacture them. As Beretta no longer makes the Cougar model, because it was not a big seller for Beretta. They are a fantastic gun for the money. You can find blued models for around $400. My dad owned one for a while, and it was flawless.

Pretty awesome, learn somethin' new each day. They look like beretta/sig hybrids, really neat lookin' pistol.

Last edited:

slottech

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2008
    N.W. IN
    I love my Beretta's for carry, from full size 92FS, 92SB Compact & most of all Mini Cougar. Yes I found a Beretta Cougar Mini. It holds 10 rounds in the mag. It runs flawlessly, and it's not too heavy for EDC. Of course that is my opinion. You should try out several different type for yourself.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I love my Beretta's for carry, from full size 92FS, 92SB Compact & most of all Mini Cougar. Yes I found a Beretta Cougar Mini. It holds 10 rounds in the mag. It runs flawlessly, and it's not too heavy for EDC. Of course that is my opinion. You should try out several different type for yourself.

You should post some pics of that Cougar Mini!

xdmstu

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Lower NE Indy
    Does anyone know ANYTHING about the CZ 75 P-01 (its the compact). I can't find any info on trigger travel OR pull...:dunno:

I have the CZ P-01 (technically, mine is the 75D Compact... same gun).

I love it. It is my current CC gun.

The grip fits very well in my hand and design offers excellent recoil control. I thought about ordering fancier, wood grips, but the standard rubber is just so dang comfortable and stable.

Now the trigger (I'm no gun expert, so bare with me)... The trigger may take a little getting used to if you're used to pistols like the Glock/XD/M&P, but that comes with practice. Some report the trigger as "gritty" when new. I guess mine was a little bit. I did a fair amount of dry/snap cap firing to get used to the first DA pull and help the break in period and all that. I've now got hundreds of round through it and it is smooth.

The first, DA pull has about a 1/4in slack to take up and then a heavy, but smooth 1/2in pull to the rear. I would call the follow up, SA as having a medium-short reset (about 1/4in travel) with a light pull weight to fire again. CZ-USA offers trigger jobs that guys on the CZ forums rave about. I have not done it yet. I'm all stock.

Please note, I also came from shooting a friend's Glock and M&P, and my own XDm 9mm (which is also a very nice shooter). So it is an adjustment. Honestly, my friend didn't care for the DA/SA as much.

Also, a common "critique" of the P-01 (well all CZ75 models) is its slide width. The slide is narrow and sits inside the frame - supposedly this help with its recoil control and also weight. This same design also makes it harder to rack than many other autos. With a Glock/XD/M&P/XDm etc., you can rack using basically a big, sloppy, meaty palm over the top - not so much with the CZ. You really need to grasp it more precisely between the thumb and fingers. This is not the gun for those that don't carry with one in the chamber and think they can do a quick draw-n-rack (at least not without lots and lots of practice.)

My P-01 is my choice when I go to to shoot at Friday Night Steel and pistol classes. I tell myself to take my XDm, but always go with the P-01. It also gets more range time than my XDm when I take them both.

Lastly, also realize that accessories are a little harder to come by, but not impossible.

Nice mid-weight. Nice size (I CC with it in a Crossbreed Qwik-Clip). Excellent ergonomics. Smooth shooter.

You will enjoy it I'm sure. They also have the new-ish P-07 out now. Not as elegant, but supposedly more modernized. Worth a look.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I have the CZ P-01 (technically, mine is the 75D Compact... same gun).

I love it. It is my current CC gun.

The grip fits very well in my hand and design offers excellent recoil control. I thought about ordering fancier, wood grips, but the standard rubber is just so dang comfortable and stable.

Now the trigger (I'm no gun expert, so bare with me)... The trigger may take a little getting used to if you're used to pistols like the Glock/XD/M&P, but that comes with practice. Some report the trigger as "gritty" when new. I guess mine was a little bit. I did a fair amount of dry/snap cap firing to get used to the first DA pull and help the break in period and all that. I've now got hundreds of round through it and it is smooth.

The first, DA pull has about a 1/4in slack to take up and then a heavy, but smooth 1/2in pull to the rear. I would call the follow up, SA as having a medium-short reset (about 1/4in travel) with a light pull weight to fire again. CZ-USA offers trigger jobs that guys on the CZ forums rave about. I have not done it yet. I'm all stock.

Please note, I also came from shooting a friend's Glock and M&P, and my own XDm 9mm (which is also a very nice shooter). So it is an adjustment. Honestly, my friend didn't care for the DA/SA as much.

Also, a common "critique" of the P-01 (well all CZ75 models) is its slide width. The slide is narrow and sits inside the frame - supposedly this help with its recoil control and also weight. This same design also makes it harder to rack than many other autos. With a Glock/XD/M&P/XDm etc., you can rack using basically a big, sloppy, meaty palm over the top - not so much with the CZ. You really need to grasp it more precisely between the thumb and fingers. This is not the gun for those that don't carry with one in the chamber and think they can do a quick draw-n-rack (at least not without lots and lots of practice.)

My P-01 is my choice when I go to to shoot at Friday Night Steel and pistol classes. I tell myself to take my XDm, but always go with the P-01. It also gets more range time than my XDm when I take them both.

Lastly, also realize that accessories are a little harder to come by, but not impossible.

Nice mid-weight. Nice size (I CC with it in a Crossbreed Qwik-Clip). Excellent ergonomics. Smooth shooter.

You will enjoy it I'm sure. They also have the new-ish P-07 out now. Not as elegant, but supposedly more modernized. Worth a look.

Nice, post. Thanks for all the info. I don't much care for the aesthetics of the P-07, and it looks a bit to big for an EDC. I'll stick to the P-01 :D

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    Never heard of a Strouger, can you give me a bit of background?

The Stoeger Cougar is just like a Beretta Cougar. Nice guns. A guy that used to shoot on my pistol team has one and is quite pleased. I have handled / dry fired it and I thought the trigger was fine.

More in this thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/149293-my_next_gun_will_be_9mm_help_me_pick.html

I would also consider a STI GP6.

See review here: http://www.bridleandbit.net/ebooks/b...files/main.swf (see pp. 10-12)

Buy here: Brazos Custom

Also, the recommendation of a CPO Sig is sound. The 226 is a fine gun and a used one will have a nice broken in trigger.

A CZ 75 or the like is also a fine choice. As is a EAA witness, though of the two I would choose a CZ.

Finally, the FN pistols (FNP / FNX) have excellent DA/SA triggers and ambi controls.

For the record, I only have one DA/SA gun and I hardly ever shoot it. I prefer SAO or SAO-esque guns for carry (I carry a G19). But it is your preference that matters and you are the one that has to be happy with your choice.

Good luck with what ever you end up with.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I own two FNP's, and they are fantastic pistols. I have also owned a CZ 75B, and it's honestly the most accurate pistol I have fired. I own a Sig 229 E2, and it too is a great gun. Unless you buy used though, they are not cheap. If you go that rout, by one that is Sig certified. I also have a 92FS, which is another fantastic pistol. They are a little big for EDC, in my opinion.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I own two FNP's, and they are fantastic pistols. I have also owned a CZ 75B, and it's honestly the most accurate pistol I have fired. I own a Sig 229 E2, and it too is a great gun. Unless you buy used though, they are not cheap. If you go that rout, by one that is Sig certified. I also have a 92FS, which is another fantastic pistol. They are a little big for EDC, in my opinion.

Can you only get "Sig certified" Sigs directly through them, or can they be found at local gun shops?

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Can you only get "Sig certified" Sigs directly through them, or can they be found at local gun shops?

They can be found in shops. They'll have a red band around the grips. One of the owners of a local shop here is big into Sigs. He is also a member on here Sig-Bandit (Shannon). He has certified Sigs from time to time.

adam

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Noblesville
    I just picked up a CZ-75 SP-01, and love it. It's my first 9mm besides the M9 I carried in the military. You won't be disappointed in the P-01.

Top Bottom