LOL, Neighborhood Drama and Control Freaks...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    if there isn't a HOA, nobody is able to enforce them other than the majority of the residents of the subdivision
    Covenants can be enforced by other than an HOA. The entity that put the covenants in place can enforce them for sure. Others would have to prove they have standing to sue to enforce them.

Case in point, a buddy bought land from a farmer to build a house on, the farmer put covenants on the property. The farmers covenants prohibited any pigs being raised on the land and limited the number of horses and cows. It also prohibited buildings close to the property line greater than the county regulations.

That farmer and anyone who subsequently buys the farm has every right to enforce those covenants…

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Covenants can be enforced by other than an HOA. The entity that put the covenants in place can enforce them for sure. Others would have to prove they have standing to sue to enforce them.

Case in point, a buddy bought land from a farmer to build a house on, the farmer put covenants on the property. The farmers covenants prohibited any pigs being raised on the land and limited the number of horses and cows. It also prohibited buildings close to the property line greater than the county regulations.

That farmer and anyone who subsequently buys the farm has every right to enforce those covenants…
    It would need to be done by the individual rather than the county boards though. That was the point I was trying to make. We used to have people attending meetings all the time asking us to make people do things, and we did not have the authroity to do that.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    It would need to be done by the individual rather than the county boards though. That was the point I was trying to make. We used to have people attending meetings all the time asking us to make people do things, and we did not have the authroity to do that.
    Agree, the county does not have standing to enforce others covenants…

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    People thought because their subdivision had convenants, they wouldn't have to deal with things that weren't allowed. Nobody told them they might have to pay a lawyer to make that true. Of course, we had realtors selling parcels to people and telling them they were buildable lots too, but they weren't because they didn't have the required road frontage or were land locked, etc. What a cluster....

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Why would anybody want more rentals in their neighborhood? Why would anybody be upset that someone is trying to keep rentals OUT of the neighborhood?

Oh, and we have a couple of black families in the neighborhood, and they don’t buy into the BLM nonsense, so you’re neighbor with the nice yard is probably a real piece of work to begin with.
    The point is trying to control who others are selling their house to. Who are they to tell someone they have to accept less money for their property because they do not approve of whomever wishes to buy it?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    100%?? Getting 75% of the people to agree on free ice cream is a difficult task.
    HOA’s and covenants are voluntary agreements. At the time they are created they typically require all property owners to agree to them being placed on their property in Indiana, I have heard some odd sounding stuff from other states.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    People thought because their subdivision had convenants, they wouldn't have to deal with things that weren't allowed. Nobody told them they might have to pay a lawyer to make that true. Of course, we had realtors selling parcels to people and telling them they were buildable lots too, but they weren't because they didn't have the required road frontage or were land locked, etc. What a cluster....
    Yes it sure is. As is often said one way or another, the world would be great if not for people…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Coming down the stairs to a fellers basement unannounced without an appointment or phone call hollering "code enforcement!" Might get one shot as a home invader. Maybe it's just me.
    Along with talking to ones spouse in a derogatorily manner should earn one a beating in your own front door threshold.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Who are they to tell someone they have to accept less money for their property because they do not approve of whomever wishes to buy it?
    These agreements are totally voluntary, no one is forced into them. But with the advent of Airbnb and national rental companies many neighborhoods are agreeing to not allow rentals and if there is an HOA, you agreed to what 75% of your neighbors want to do.

I know, I know, they all conspired to keep the buyer from seeing the covenants before they closed. LOL

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Oh, and we have a couple of black families in the neighborhood, and they don’t buy into the BLM nonsense, so you’re neighbor with the nice yard is probably a real piece of work to begin with.
    The majority of people I see with those signs fit into a pretty specific category, white, suburban, middle age moms. It’s almost like they have to show the world how woke they are.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    The majority of people I see with those signs fit into a pretty specific category, white, suburban, middle age moms. It’s almost like they have to show the world how woke they are.
    I was going to mention that the nice yard BLM sign people were probably white libtards, but got caught up in the silliness of the thread and forgot.

If my suspicions are correct, I wouldn’t give them the time of day, either.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    So why did you feel it appropriate to talk to someone else's wife that way? Then apparently that it was such a cool thing to do you should brag about it on INGO?
    When you show up to my door uninvited and start peddling your wares, be it some controlling restriction of free trade you want to impose, or windows, or investments, or internet services, I will talk to you in any way I choose, especially when you ring the doorbell that is right next to the "No Soliciting" sign. The same goes for calling me about my car warranty, or internet or whatever.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Thirty seven rentals in my neighborhood. Every one of them is a dump. They don't have any reason to mow, paint, clean gutters. Dealing is common. Their kids are little monsters. It's a valid concern. Blights on society for the most part.
    On the plus side, when SHTF they are storing my food for me.
    I know we have rentals here, but I couldn't tell you which ones they are. Everyone keeps their yards and homes pretty well cared for.

Top Bottom