• mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I talked with sandcreekpostandbeam.com and they say they kiln dry their beams. I asked about shrinkage and cracking.

Our logs were kiln dried. We ended up with many having so much moisture that they had mildew all over them and had to have significant cleaning before we could stain them. You might ask to talk to some of their customers to see how satisfied they were with the company. The place we dealt with went out of business after we bought our kit.

State farm insures my log home with it's wood stove.

Maybe they have changed their policies since we built 20 years ago, but they didn't then. I know that our agent has a limited number of companies to choose from to get us coverage due to it being a log home so I would call and ask before I assumed that the company you deal with will insure one.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    Post and beam and Timber Framed aren't exactly the same beast. True timber framed is all mortised and genomes together, no nails or metal connectors. Post and beam uses metal connectors. For a tight fit timber frame uses green timbers, so as they dry the pull together tighter. Not sure it matters to you. But when we built our TF we wanted the mortise and tenon. Our 2100sf home has about 30 screws in the entire frame.

it was pretty cool to see the frame go up. Wife took close to 300 pictures of the whole building project.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Post and beam and Timber Framed aren't exactly the same beast. True timber framed is all mortised and genomes together, no nails or metal connectors. Post and beam uses metal connectors. For a tight fit timber frame uses green timbers, so as they dry the pull together tighter. Not sure it matters to you. But when we built our TF we wanted the mortise and tenon. Our 2100sf home has about 30 screws in the entire frame.

it was pretty cool to see the frame go up. Wife took close to 300 pictures of the whole building project.
    care to share any?

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    care to share any?
    I would love to. If I could find them. Most were film, no scanner. Wife can't find any of them. I feel like I just opened an old wound.

Something else to consider. The foundation tends to need to be beefed up. A lot more weight than conventional construction.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Hate to revive an old thread but we are considering a log home build as well.

Just starting research about who/what/why...

Or maybe ICF with a mix of brick and log siding.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Also negative: Banks want basically nothing to do with them, either from a Construction Loan perspective, or from the perspective of finding an Appraiser that has comps within range on something similar.

IE: Best have a lot of cash and be prepared to put down more % than usual, IF you need a loan.

Finding a contractor that knows how much labor they will/will not have in assembling a true timber-frame home, and can quote accordingly, is not easy either.

Last one I helped build had almost a 40% budget overage, a lot of which was due to labor. The owners coughed the difference.

-Nate

Top Bottom