• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    How are people still saying that the Sheriff is not his CLEO? A sheriff has jurisdiction, and they are on the list of people who can sign off. Regardless of where you live, you can go to the sheriff of your county and ask them to sign. It isnt like the LTCH where you must go to a given person. You can even have a judge or prosecuting attorney sign off, it doesnt have to be your town's chief of police.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Just got off the phone with the Thorntown Marshall, Russ Voils. He said he would be educating the Chief of Police regarding these matters and the 3 of us have an appointment scheduled for April 9th at 1pm

Ummm... Russ Voils is THE chief of police for Thorntown. We grew up together and he is one of my best friends to this day. I highly doubt he is refusing to sign off on any class III item. I am thinking you might have talked to some reserve or something.

PM me your name and I can tell you in five minutes.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    How are people still saying that the Sheriff is not his CLEO? A sheriff has jurisdiction, and they are on the list of people who can sign off. Regardless of where you live, you can go to the sheriff of your county and ask them to sign. It isnt like the LTCH where you must go to a given person. You can even have a judge or prosecuting attorney sign off, it doesnt have to be your town's chief of police.

Didn't realize a judge or an attorney were LEO's...purple implied.

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana

Exactly! I had 2 form 4's and a form 1 approved in 2012. 2 were signed by the chief of police and one by the sheriff. It was simply a matter of who was easier to track down.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

Because the sheriff does not have primary jurisdiction in Thorntown. Just because the BATFE accepts it does not make it correct.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    The office of sheriff is established either by the state constitution or by an act of state legislature.

No small town cop can over ride them.:draw:Generally, in State Statutes, it states that a Sheriff is the highest authority in Law Enforcement in his/her respective county. A Sheriff is the only one who can legally arrest a Chief of Police, or the District Attorney.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    The office of sheriff is established either by the state constitution or by an act of state legislature.

No small town cop can over ride them.:draw:Generally, in State Statutes, it states that a Sheriff is the highest authority in Law Enforcement in his/her respective county. A Sheriff is the only one who can legally arrest a Chief of Police, or the District Attorney.

Pretty sure a Conservation Law Enforcement officer can as well as a Corner.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass

hmm....

Glocker1986

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Northwest Indiana
    I think you can replace "sheriff" with "SISP" and get your answer

I am going to respectfully disagree with you. Op lives in a municipality therefore his chief of police can sign, that municipality is located in a county so the sheriff of the county can sign, that county is located in Indiana so the superintendent of the state can sign. ATF will also accept signatures from a judge or prosecutor in the applicants county of residence. I've heard of a few going the judge/prosecutor route but have never seen it personally. If you have anything from the ATF concerning that only the chief of police can sign if you life in a municipality please share it, it would be an interesting read.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN

I believe it is actually "Chief law enforcement official" not "Officer" as we frequently state, I could be wrong though. I do know for a fact that numerous people can sign off who arent sherif or police.

Because the sheriff does not have primary jurisdiction in Thorntown. Just because the BATFE accepts it does not make it correct.

A sherif's department has jurisdiction over the entire county, the way I understand it. Hence why those who live in cities still vote for sheriff. So yes, it does make it correct.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton

Where does people get this crap? :n00b: In reality a town marshal has the broadest statutory authority of any Indiana LEO. FWIW I can arrest the prosecutor or any police chief. Heck I don't even know what a district attorney is but we don't have them in Indiana....not that I have ever heard of. Also worth noting is the conservation officer thing is also false. A co is just like any other Indiana leo. No more authority than any other cop. Urban legend.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Judges are.

IC 35-33-1-2
    Judge
    Sec. 2. A judge may arrest, or order the arrest of a person in his presence, when he has probable cause to believe the person has committed a crime.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Care to cite the relevant IC code?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    A sherif's department has jurisdiction over the entire county, the way I understand it. Hence why those who live in cities still vote for sheriff. So yes, it does make it correct.

Jurisdiction doesn't work like that in Indiana. Some states do, but we aren't one of them. We have full authority anywhere in the state, and Indiana controlled portions of bordering waterways, regardless of if we are city, county, or state LEOs. We all have jurisdiction anywhere in the state.

IC 35-41-1-1
    Jurisdiction
    Sec. 1. (a) As used in this section, "Indiana" includes:
    (1) the area within the boundaries of the state of Indiana, as set forth in Article 14, Section 1 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana;
    (2) the portion of the Ohio River on which Indiana possesses concurrent jurisdiction with the state of Kentucky under Article 14, Section 2 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana; and
    (3) the portion of the Wabash River on which Indiana possesses concurrent jurisdiction with the state of Illinois under Article 14, Section 2 of the Constitution of the State of Indiana

Top Bottom