• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Now, I and other Indiana libertarians already knew that Mark had been elected, but it's nice to see it recognised in the IBJ. Congrats to Mark!

via IBJ.com

An Indianapolis business attorney has been elected second-in-command of the U.S. Libertarian Party. His ambition is to move America’s third-largest political movement from the margins to the mainstream by focusing on competence at the local office level.

“You don’t apply to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 company straight out of college. You start in the mailroom,” said Mark Rutherford, a partner with locally based Thrasher Buschmann and Voelkel PC. “Why should people think we should lead national office until we’ve proved it at the City-County Council or county commissioner level?”

Libertarians elected Rutherford their vice chairman at their national convention in May. Rutherford, 50, is a New Albany native who grew up in Carmel, spent his teen years in Columbus, earned his undergraduate degree from Wabash College and his law degree from Valparaiso University.

The son of Republican parents, Rutherford said he knew he wanted to be an attorney at age 8. His first law job was to serve for three years as a deputy prosecutor under Stephen Goldsmith. He then moved to private practice, where he focused on commercial and bankruptcy law, often serving as defense counsel for clients accused of white-collar crimes.

“The prosecution has lots of resources and an awful lot of power. It’s easy to be misused,” Rutherford said. “I feel much more satisfaction keeping government at bay and making sure it does things fairly.”

As you’d expect from a Libertarian, Rutherford’s views align with conservatives on many business issues. He bemoans the encroachment of regulation and criminal penalties in a wide number of areas, from fishing licenses to waste disposal to nursing home management. But on social issues like ballot access, civil rights and personal freedoms, he sides with liberals.
    More at the source. One mistake in the article, tho. Marks parents are Libertarians, not republicans.

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    One mistake in the article, tho. Marks parents are Libertarians, not republicans.
    I thought that was a relatively recent change (as in: the last decade). He was *raised* by Republican parents... who then later saw the light. ;) However, I've only met them a few times, so I can certainly be wrong on that. Mr. and Mrs. Rutherford are good people.

anywho..

Yay for Mark! The whole article was really excellent! :)

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    While I'm not a fan of the national LP, it's always good to see libertarianism get some good publicity.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    “You don’t apply to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 company straight out of college. You start in the mailroom,” said Mark Rutherford, a partner with locally based Thrasher Buschmann and Voelkel PC. “Why should people think we should lead national office until we’ve proved it at the City-County Council or county commissioner level?”

Good grief, a rational Libertarian.

I think the party just took a big step away from the Crazy Cliff.

spaceball.gif

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    While I'm not a fan of the national LP, it's always good to see libertarianism get some good publicity.

Downzero,

I wholeheartedly agree with you!

However, if you look at some of the gradual changes that have occurred within the National LP I think you will find them becoming much more reasonable and mainstream.

While each party has its own "whackjobs" our numbers have been too small to give them the boot. As time has passed and we are becoming much more palatable and our numbers are growing. As such our "extremists" are becoming marginalized and their influence reduced. This is allowing a shift to a much more reasonable platform and national party.

Regards,

Doug

PS - For those interested in meeting Mark he will probably be at Rebecca's shootout/cookout/fundraiser

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I'm actually not afraid of the "extremists." I'm afraid of the moderates that seek to water down the party that stands for liberty above all else.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Downzero,

The problem is that pushing for too much change all at once can be too much for the average American to deal with, thus the extremists will never fulfill the objective of a political party - that being to gain power and influence over government.

For example, the idea of just blatantly decriminalizing all drugs is one that I agree with, but which I acknowledge is too radical for most Americans, some of whom still remember those crazy kids on "Reefer Madness."

So pushing for instant removal of all drug laws will not allow you to get elected to almost any office. If, on the other hand, you push for decriminalizing marijuana this is a much more palatable idea for the average American. You don't lie about going all the way, you just shouldn't push it. Most Americans have less aversion to marijuana being decriminalized, so run with it.

I could also say that were I to run for office I would support a total removal of all firearms restrictions, save WMDs. However, I wouldn't necessarily campaign on that. I would more likely campaign on supporting states rights and limiting the Commerce Clause by allowing fully automatic weapons to be sold within states where they are manufactured. Again, less problems with the average American. Now, would a bill come up to totally repeal the NFA I would be one of the first to support it, but I wouldn't campaign on it.

In my opinion the extremists have good ideas but are far too controversial to ever be elected, so less controversy is need. Mark Rutherford will help our party move in that direction.

Regards,

Doug

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.

We either stand on our principles or go down as politicians like the rest. I prefer the former.

Too bad Barry isn't here to see the tea party movement.

Top Bottom