• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fisherg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    Osceola
    Need some ideas for loads for eliminating starlings in my barn. Don't want to bunch holes in my steel roof. I'm thinking about having a few 20g loads made up with plastic airsoft bb's. Any other ideas?

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    That's a cool idea. What about using some of those .22 or .38 shotshells that CCI makes? Those have very small shot in them, so surely they would not damage the roof. Let us know what you decide to use.

Spanky46151

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Martinsville
    If you're poppin' roosting birds, 22 Short CB caps. Won't cycle a semi (Longs will), but super quiet & I don't think they'd penetrate a tin roof. Low velocity & soft lead.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's a cool idea. What about using some of those .22 or .38 shotshells that CCI makes? Those have very small shot in them, so surely they would not damage the roof. Let us know what you decide to use.

I'm thinking you'd have to be rather close in order for those to work. That itty bitty shot really loses oomph quickly.

The idea about loading up shotshells with airsoft BBs is intriguing, though!

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Popcorn kernels are meant to work quite well for this purpose. Never done it myself, but my wife's uncle told me about it and I thought it was an interesting idea.

msd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Princeton
    Have to vote for the bb gun. wont penetrate tin, esp if you buy one of the daisey jokes walmart carries.
    Sure dont make bb guns like they used to.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Aguila Colibri. Absolutely silent out of a rifle.

Be careful, try them in your gun, if they don't leave the barrel, go with Super Colibri.

The Colibris go through my son's .22 rifle just fine. YMMV. They sound like an air rifle in my pistol.

If you use a air rifle use lead pellets, not BB's, you don't want to have one ricochet and put out your eye.

(P.S. wear safety glasses)

(P.P.S. spot light, after dark)

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    337   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    What about Remington's CBee 22LR Rounds? They shoot really quietly out of a rifle, and they're the size of an normal 22LR. They feed fine from a mag, but won't cycle a bolt. That will eliminate feeding problems with shorter 22 caps. They'll kill a squirrel, but I doubt they'd penetrate tin at 50 feet.

Worth a try.

qybzao.jpg

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have several boxes of Remington CBee .22's from different lots. I have not found a single lot that will reliably stay subsonic. They cycled my 795 and my old 10/22. I've tried them in 20" barrels all the way to a 26" barrel in my Winchester 67. At $9.99 a box (GM pricing) it was an expensive experiment

I've had to completely abandon them in favor of CCI CB Shorts. I lose the capacity to make a followup shot, and the chamber fouls quickly, but at least I don't have to worry about the neighbors freaking out about muzzleblast.

(my yard is overrun with vermin from voles to coyote and everything in between)

The CB shorts will reliably put down a squirrel with a shot to the vitals. They generally bounce off of a skull.

I also have a Savage 120 that is sighted in for Super Colibri's which do remarkably well on chipmunks and squirrel inside of 25 yards.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    If you can find the Winchester .22lr shotshells with the crimped brass ends and the #12 shot that will work well inside your barn. I use lots of them in my buildings with metal roofs with very good results and no damage to the tin.
    I have been finding the boxes of Winchesters at Rural King. They definitely hit harder than the CCI's with the plastic shot cup and are much more affordable.

Top Bottom