• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Everytime I pay, I catch Don (the owner) at the range. BUT, his house is right out in front of the range, so you could always stop by there, pay, and fill out some quick paperwork.

Ol'Bluesmoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    Attebury Range Report

First let me thank Doughbarnes101 for offering to take me to his range in Martinsville, unfortunately my schedule prevented us from going this weekend. Luckily I had time late Friday morning to drive to Atterbury Range (about 15 miles N of Columbus). I just got a new Ruger P95 9mm, my only handgun since I sold them all a few years back after my darling little girl came into the world and we needed money.

I got the gun at MC sports 2 weeks ago for about 325.00 including tax, its blued, came with two 15 round magazines and the typical gunlock, fired casing, ammo loader, manual and grey plastic carrying case.

After driving for a little over an hour from Bloomington I arrived to find a nicely open outdoor, but roofed range, that could accomodate over 60 shooters, to include rifle and shotgun. They had a limited supply of ammo, mostly .40 cal (No 9mm) and some .22, .45 and a few other calibers...all ball ammo. The two guys who worked there were cordial, one being the manager and the other was the range officer (the latter was curt, but not a big deal).

As I stated, the range was nicely open, only a few guys shooting (hours are 11am to 7pm and only on Fridays during the winter months) The range shot in 20 minute intervals and then had a period of about 10 minutes for all shooters to put up new targets and arrange the distance of their target holder. They were very safety minded and the flashing red lights were a nice touch to help ensure safety during target changes. They provided the cardboard backings and all you had to do was affix your target and wait for everyone to do so before firing would proceed. A very professionally run range. Range fees were $7 for an hour, with a $5 dollar deposit for the target holder which you got back if you didn't shoot the frame up.

It was a crisp, cold, windless morning (35 degrees) and felt good to be out shooting again after almost 3 years. You had to shoot standing and could not present from a holster so I just fed the Ruger 150 rounds of Winchester 115gr FMJ (white box) at 7 yards...mostly I was focused on reliability testing, but was able to keep everything in the center of the impact displayed adhesive target I purchased at the range, one ragged hole dead center basically. I had a great time, no problems with the Ruger were noted, it cycled well and the sights were dead on.

This range seems ideal for large groups of people who are new shooters due to the strict adherence of safety rules (a good thing) and there was lots of room where many people could stand/walk around without bothering other shooters or hindering the safety of others. The bench space at the line was adequate and there were additional tables to the rear of the line. All in all a good experience and it was really good to shoot again with a pistol I now trust with the life of myself and the family.

Last edited:

bbbas55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    i guess that everyone already knows that the attabury range may be closing very soon. i live near there and am very disappointed. after their last remodel it is a fantastic range. i stop by there from time to time and lately have been told that business was so slow that it was difficult to see how long it could stay open.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    Google Maps

I've driven past this place several times on my way out to Knightstown. Anybody know anything about it? It's just East of Greenfield. I've never stopped by before. I always forget unless I am passing by.

Kmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Denver,IN
    Bunker Hill fish and game club has one. Only one "lane" though and you must be a member.____46914
    They have park benches set up every 25 yard I believe out to 125yards. 50 bucks initial membership and I think 25 bucks a year. Has a fishing pond and hunting land as well.

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    i guess that everyone already knows that the attabury range may be closing very soon. i live near there and am very disappointed. after their last remodel it is a fantastic range. i stop by there from time to time and lately have been told that business was so slow that it was difficult to see how long it could stay open.

The Atterbury range did close for a short time due to the management co. going broke. It is up and running again on weekends only and is currently being ran by DNR. They are looking for someone to take it over and run it full time again in the spring.

Top Bottom