• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    One day last week my marriage of 23 years officially ended. I don’t know which day it was, I fired my attorney the first of the year so I am waiting for the copy in the mail to know when it was final.

Last Thursday my sister sent me a text with the newspaper divorce announcement. Since it was in the paper I assume it is final. The mediator said it would be over in a matter of days but I didn’t really believe him.

It’s a relief yet I felt an unexpected burst of sadness. Not because I still love him but because I feel sorry for him. He turned his back on most of his siblings before he decided I wasn’t worthy either. Other than our son he only has a couple brothers he still speaks to.

For all intense purposes my marriage ended almost 5 years ago when the person I married ceased to exist.

I’ve hated him for a very long time because of the condescending way he started treating me. I never thought it was possible to feel this way about anyone. But I hate him. I can’t be in the same room with him. I won’t talk to him unless I absolutely have to. I can’t. He tries to manipulate and belittle me.

For years I stood by him when he couldn’t work due to back and knee injuries. When he wanted to start his own business I supported him. When he wanted to close the business a few years later, I supported his decision.

During the majority of the marriage I was the main breadwinner. He took care of most of the house work and did the majority of the cooking while I worked. He would warm up my car in the mornings and get my coffee ready before I left for my commute. He got our son off to school in the mornings and made sure he made it home safely.

We seldom disagreed or fought. Every so often he would throw a tantrum, I would walk on eggshells and then it would all blow over.

Regardless of what came up, I always supported him. When the dark accusations came up, I stood by him then too even though it meant turning my back on my sister and my daughter for a while.

At the end of 2008 I was downsized from corporate America. The job market sucked. I was previously paid very well which made potential employers overlook me.

My mom was sinking fast into the realms of Alzheimer’s. My sister needed help taking care of her. I started helping take care of my mom because it was the right thing to do.

The fighting started. He couldn’t understand my sense of family obligation. He made me feel horrible for wanting to do the right thing.

In the meantime he turned his back on his dad as he was dying. I realized I could never risk growing old with such a cold and callous person.

He had to get a job to support the family. He resented me for that. His personality kept getting darker and uglier.

Then I found out about his girlfriend. That was the final straw. I started dating other people too a few months later.

Once our son graduated in June 2013, he hired an attorney with the intent to throw me on the streets since I was only working part time. He lied and tried to do horrible things to me.

I hired my own attorney and filed for divorce.

For 6 months we shared the house on alternate days. It was a horrible experience. Although my attorney charged $200 an hour he wasn’t proactive or supportive of my situation.

In the valley, the court is not sympathetic to the mother. Whoever makes the money makes the rules.

After a failed $600 mediation session in December I fired my attorney and opted to represent myself. Although the attorney did not protect my assets he did get the ex out of the house at the end of the year. He had to move into our other house like we had originally agreed.

When he left he stole several structural and family assets and reneged on our earlier agreement to the distribution of joint assets.

This made the divorce drag out until now. We had mediation in Muncie the middle of July. He had to return the items he stole and he has to fulfill our original agreement. The mediator accomplished in two hours what my attorney couldn’t do in 6 months.

I truly believe things happen for a reason. In most bad events there is something positive to be found if you look hard enough.

Losing my job allowed me to spend time with my mom while she still knew me and so I could help with her care.

Losing my job opened my eyes to who I had married. He wasn’t meant to be my happily ever after. My prince charming is still out there waiting for me to find him.

My new beginning starts now and I feel fine. :)

[video=youtube;PE2iup32lgk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE2iup32lgk[/video]

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Edit: my bad... I assumed this was a spoof of the other divorce thread... You know, like her side or something. I guess I should read before posting.

Last edited:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Edit: my bad... I assumed this was a spoof of the other divorce thread... You know, like her side or something. I guess I should read before posting.

I saw your original thread and was thinking you were a tough crowd. I should get the 5 because he is not a missing person and I am not a suspect. :)

No spoof, he shared so I did too. Divorce happens and it isn't always a devastating event. Sometimes it's for the best.

RedneckReject

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Divorce is terrible and yet sometimes wonderful at the same time. I have been through two of them. One of them was the ugliest spectacle ever. One of them was so easy that the mediator was even shocked. Although both were horrible and something I never want to experience again, I realize they were necessary to put me with the person I'm with now. They were also necessary to teach me what I do and do not want in a partner. They helped to teach me who I really am and what I am willing to put up with as well as the things I refuse to put up with. Most importantly they taught me that no matter how hurt I am or how alone I feel, I WILL move on. I will find someone else who makes me happy eventually. That itself has done wonders for my confidence level. I am no longer insecure and worried about being "perfect" for fear that my other half will leave me. Wanna leave? There's the door. I was single and looking (more like browsing) when I met him. I can be single and looking when I meet the next one too.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    As a phoenix rises from the ashes reborn, so shall you. Try not to indulge in hate and resentment for that is the devil's playground. Count your blessings daily and enjoy yourself.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Gungirl, you're in good company here. Good on you for knowing when to walk away from a toxic marriage. It seems as if you're the committed and supportive type. I was as well. We can only give so much and i,I believe that it truly takes both parties to make it work. If the other iisn't interested then make it work for you.

I'm glad to read that things are looking up for you. Keep on keeping on girl. Don't get so hung up or spend too much time trying to find the right guy. Spend some time alone and work on you. Work on what makes you happy. Enjoy things you couldn't before. And most of all, enjoy life :)

I'm proud of you for ssharing your story after how heated my thread got.

Although to be fair, I too thought it was a spoof thread because that's usually how INGO rolls. :)

Message me some time. Maybe we can trade war stories :)

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    Nubody should have ta live at'a way.......went thru my own hell on earth fer 4-1/2 yrs.....then.....no choice....had ta file......filed in '05.....were'nt final till Feb '08...it cost a azzload.....in more ways than $$.......ya got MY best wish's fer yer new start......:yesway:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    things happen for a reason, they don't always seem clear to us at the time, but there is a reason that this happened to you.

my story is similar, we were married for almost 18 years,i worked one full time and one part time job for most of the marriage, when "she" got pregnant it was a high risk pregnancy(twins) and she quit working, after the girls were born, she stayed home, i had two two jobs, and took care of the girls after i got home and on my nights off, because she "needed a break" i got up when they cried, i fed them,bathed them, i did everything for them.

she decided she wanted to go back to school, so she started school, night classes, and since she didnt work, guess who paid for them?, first she wanted to be an accountant, so for a year she took accounting classes, then she wanted to be a medical office assistant, and about that time, she decided she couldn't get along with our landlord(one on a long list of people she didn't like) so we became home owners,i took out money from my 401k to buy the house she wanted, i painted the insides, i fixed the walls(neither up to her standards). and since i took the money out of my 401k i had to pay a penality and owed the goverment money at the end of the year(i had to borrow from my parents), she put up...nothing!. a few years later she went to work part time(she had given up on school by now), she worked 3-4 days a week, 3 nights and sunday, and i was back to one job (for now), soon she wanted to go back to schol again, and this time she wanted to do criminal justice(if your keeping track thats 3 major changes) and i got another part time job,(i have been lucky with my pt jobs, they have been in my hobby areas, first was a pet store, and then a gunshop).

about four years ago(when my girls were graduating 8th grade) she decided that she could find someone better, and started seeing a 19yo boy(yes 19, he was a friend of my daughters)then she moved in with her brother to "sort things out", after two months she asked to move back in, i let her, i loved her, so i would do anything for her!, a day after she moved back in, she told me she still had feelings for her boy toy( she told me that on my birthday!), two weeks later she went out with a friend, and didnt come home till 7.30 in the morning, and on the saturday after that she went to nashville with her best friend, and didnt tell me, i found out when i got home from work and my daughters told me, i asked her to leave, it was over, and i couldnt take anymore.

i told her i was going to file for divorce, she asked me to wait till she started school(back to criminal justice) i said i would, on december 22nd i met with a divorce lawyer, and it was final in march the year after we seperated,i had to giver her 1/2 the equitity in the house, and had to refinance the house in my name, (i ended up paying more for the house the secondtime i bought it than i did the first time), but i did that so my daughters wouldnt have to change schools and make new friends, it was worth it.

i still have my second job,(i like it), i have a new girlfriend(i love her) and my daughters still live with me, my ex has moved 3 hours away, is remarried, fights with him all the time, he's lost his drivers licence(dui), and she's still in school, i tell everybody that in her history classes she can tell the kids about the events cause she lived through them!

but im happy, and everything happens for a reason! gungirl you will live, learn, and love!

good luck!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Living in a situation like that is unbearable and we often stay longer than we should. I did. Don't get me wrong, I am not pro divorce but when it gets abusive mentally, it can affect one's own mental health which can affect physical health. I was developing fibromyalgia that was stress induced until I got divorced and a year later it went away. Walking on egg shells doesn't even describe the volatility of my ex. The stress comes from all sides, working hard to make it work, never knowing when the next blowup will be, dealing with false accusations from someone you care about, trying to protect other family members, etc..

The law in Indiana overall divides everything based on the current incomes of the spouses. I supported my Masters Degree wife to stay home because that is what she wanted and that ended up screwing me.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Sometimes they're just not as advertised, and you don't find out for some years, or until a crisis hits. My first wife and your husband would have been "perfect" for each other; they would have collapsed into a quantum singularity of misery and hatred. Her issue centered on a mental illness, and I got doodads going up my spine as I read your description. I just have to back off and realize that's not always it; some people are just rectal orifices. Though there were suicidal thoughts along the way, she died accidentally, so we were all spared the ugliness of the divorce. It was inevitable, though.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Just wanted to thank everyone for the flashbacks of my x wife and that **** poor excuse of a woman/marriage. Gungirl, you dont stand alone. Many of us have horrible stories to tell. All we can do is move on with our lifes, make sure we never ever accept anything less than what we deserve in a relationship and never stoop to the levels of our exes and act like that to our next spouse/partner, etc.

I wish you the best on the rest of your journey.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Best wishes to you GG. I have been down the divorce road too. I was with someone that drained the life out of me. Everything was about her, and what she wanted. Not needed, wanted. I am much happier. I remarried the right one the next time around. It was till death do us part! I am single widower now with way more good memories then bad ones!

sassy lassy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Elizabeth
    Divorce is just one of the changes we may have to endure throughout life. Fortunately it is oftentimes the catalyst for the best things that ever happen to us. I wish this for you as you move on to your next adventure.

Top Bottom