• What do you do for LGS Carry?

• Total voters

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Does it change things if the store has a sign but their true stance is that they don't care as long as your gun stays holstered?

To me it does. My opinion is that a persons moral standing is more important than any sign. If they don't mind loaded firearms being in the store, then they shouldn't have a sign telling people to unload. As long as you practice what you believe in and stand firmly behind your belief's, I respect you. Even if they aren't the same as mine. But being a complete hypocrite is the same as giving your man card away.

It's the same thing as someone asking you to leave the restaurant or take your gun to your car. Most people choose to leave because they feel it is their right to be armed. However those same people will gladly unload before entering a gun shop. Also, are the employees at these shops allowed to carry loaded weapons? That's another subject of hypocrisy by itself if they are.

It's really not that big of a deal. I just couldn't believe how many people on this board feel it's okay for a gun shop to tell them to 'take their gun to their car or leave' (so to speak) but not a restaurant or other establishment.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    To me it does. My opinion is that a persons moral standing is more important than any sign. If they don't mind loaded firearms being in the store, then they shouldn't have a sign telling people to unload. As long as you practice what you believe in and stand firmly behind your belief's, I respect you. Even if they aren't the same as mine. But being a complete hypocrite is the same as giving your man card away.

It's the same thing as someone asking you to leave the restaurant or take your gun to your car. Most people choose to leave because they feel it is their right to be armed. However those same people will gladly unload before entering a gun shop. Also, are the employees at these shops allowed to carry loaded weapons? That's another subject of hypocrisy by itself if they are.

It's really not that big of a deal. I just couldn't believe how many people on this board feel it's okay for a gun shop to tell them to 'take their gun to their car or leave' (so to speak) but not a restaurant or other establishment.

All very good points.
    Do the insurance policies for gun stores require them to post such sign? The reason why I ask is that I think that does make a difference, if that's the case. The Avon gun store did not always have said sign on their door until the got robbed. Now they do, along with bars on the doors. I wonder if those where requirements before being able to get insurance after the robbery.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    All very good points.
    Do the insurance policies for gun stores require them to post such sign? The reason why I ask is that I think that does make a difference, if that's the case. The Avon gun store did not always have said sign on their door until the got robbed. Now they do, along with bars on the doors. I wonder if those where requirements before being able to get insurance after the robbery.

I would guess every gun shop would have a sign on their door if that was the case. :dunno: I could be completely wrong here, but I doubt an insurance company can tell a business that they cannot allow firearms on their premises, considering it's a Constitutional right...

Personally I think the whole, "The insurance company says we can't allow loaded firearms inside the building." is just complete B.S.. There are different insurance companies and surely ones that will let a business owner, especially a gun store owner, allow them to freely express what they believe in.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    I OC just about everywhere I go (CC at work because it's required). If I walk into a gun shop and I'm asked to leave cause I'm carrying and didn't unload, I'll find somewhere else to take my business. Soon as I walk through the front door at home, I'd be on INGO posting the name and location of the shop that asked me to leave.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Usually I always try to follow the rules and unload if I see a sign requesting it. Friday afternoon I stopped by the Trading Post in Marion, a local pawn shop. I saw the sign on the door requesting no loaded weapons. I had been in there before and unloaded prior to exiting my car. I had every intention of unloading this time too.

Then I saw how crowded the place was and how rough some of the customers in the parking lot looked. I decided not to unload this time. I decided I would rather be prepared just in case. I went in, looked at the guns and left. I did not touch my gun or remove it from my purse.

My whole point of this confession is that although I am inherently a rule follower, I will not blindly follow the rules if it could possibly put me in danger. With recent shootings I try not to be too complacent. I travel alone so I have to do what I feel most comfortable doing since I have no back up. I got a weird feeling about the place once I turned into the parking lot, so I opted to follow my gut and take my chances. Sometimes people at pawn shops are desperate. Nothing happened. I didn't get outed, no one did anything, I just felt better going in there with my gun loaded.

Next time I stop by there, if the lot looks safe I will unload, otherwise I will follow my gut again.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    My whole point of this confession is that although I am inherently a rule follower, I will not blindly follow the rules if it could possibly put me in danger. With recent shootings I try not to be too complacent.

Next time I stop by there, if the lot looks safe I will unload, otherwise I will follow my gut again.

While I empathize with the rule follower notion (which is why I started this thread) I can't reconcile your logic. For me, the point in carrying is that I DON'T know when I'll need it. You can't trust a situation because it looks safe. I'm sure the movie goers in Aurora felt safe in the theater until the first shots were fired.

Sure there are situations that are more dangerous than others, but if you're carrying a gun for safety (or just trying to stay safe by any means) then it is dangerous to assume that a place is automatically safe.

Take your example. You obviously acknoledge that the shop COULD be a dangerous place. Imagine you get there and no one "dangerous looking" is there so you unload and head on in. After you're in is when the bad element arrives, what then?

My point is, if you're willing to break the rules for your safety, then shouldn't you leave your gun loaded regardless?:dunno:

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    Okay, I just ran across this thread and didn't find the answer to a question I had.

I've been to Bradis and have seen their sign "No Loaded Guns in Store". Not a problem; I dropped the magazine out, reholstered the weapon, dropped my shirt back down over it and went inside. When I got back to my car, I put the mag back in. Here in Bloomington, I have gone into MCSports cc'ing several times. It's concealed, so no one sees it.

My question is: Does unloaded mean 1) Mag in the gun but no round in the chamber, or 2) No mag in gun and no round in the chamber?

I didn't have a problem with removing the mag before I went in. There are other places I've been where one cannot carry, and I respect and comply with those rules. The Veterans Affairs office in Bloomington is just such a place, as there is a courtroom in the building.

And yesterday, I had to go to the downtown post office in B'ton, and as it's a federal building, I left the gun in my locked car. When I came out, it was reholstered.

I'm new at this and I just want to do things correctly and not be looking at a fine and/or jail sentence. KnowutImean?

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Specifically to the two questions you asked, yes those are both technically unloaded.

You may see people carry in a gun store with no mag in the chamber because they are "showing" that they are complying with store policy. However, everyone is aware that there may be a round in the chamber. I suppose another reason you might see someone with a holstered gun and no mag, is that they are following store policy and have they have a loaded mag in a pocket or mag carrier.

If a store owner or employee saw someone carrying a gun with a mag in it, I would think that they have to assume that it is loaded. Although I am not a gun store owner or employee, I just shop a lot! :D

Hope that helps.

Top Bottom