• Total voters

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy
    You have got to be kidding me.

In the alleged name of safety, he had you draw a holstered pistol and fiddle with it there on the showroom floor? Did he have any other obvious signs of mental impairment, like perhaps a trickle of drool from the corner of his mouth or a strong resemblance to the Vice President?

I have spent most of my adult life behind the counters of gun stores, and that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'd've looked at Cletus like he'd just sprouted a second head and turned around and left the shop.

PS: Thank you for saving me a trip. I'll be bloggin' this, if you don't mind...

Yeah, I thought it was an odd request. This was a first for me. Honestly, I was so taken back that I did it before I even thought about it. Outside of training on a designated range, I've never been asked to unholster my weapon. Now, in light of the thread I linked in my OP, I will NOT be loading/unloading in the parking lot of an LGS.

I don't mind if you blog about it. It's a true story and I stand by it. It seems to be a lose-lose situation. If I did obey your sign orders then I feel offended that you are going to make me take out my gun and show you, if I didn't, then you have me manipulating an loaded firearm in public.:dunno:

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    I have always found it interesting that people will give the "no guns=no money" cards to stores and restaurants but give gun stores and ranges a free pass (myself included). It's been said on here 1000 times before that an unloaded gun is just an expensive paperweight. With this logic, telling people to unload is essentially the same as telling them to be unarmed.

Like I said, it's interesting that we give a pass to one group and accuse another group of restricting our rights for doing essentially the same thing.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I voted ignore sign but I don't consider that to be taking any chances.

There is no chance I would disarm or unload.

I've never had any LGS attempt to apply an unloaded policy to my holstered carry gun. If they tried, I'd just cross them off my list of places to visit.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County

I've never had any LGS attempt to apply an unloaded policy to my holstered carry gun. If they tried, I'd just cross them off my list of places to visit.

100% agree. There should be an option for carrying or refusing to business there. Even at Cabelas, the sign says that guns brought in for trade or repair must be unloaded.

The only time I have ever been in a gun shop without being armed was when I flew to Atlanta and wasn't carrying at all that day.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Yeah, it's ironic that a gun shop which is one of the greatest proponents of the 2nd amendment bars people from exercising their rights.

I hear on this forum people getting all upset when a restaurant or a clothing store won't let them carry, so they refuse to do business with them.

How many of them refuse to do business with a gun store when they post the same sign?

Most people don't coonfinger their carry gun at the restaurant.
    Too many do at gunshops.
    Hence the signs.

Those who ignore the signs are expected to leave their gun holstered. Not a problem.

You can post signs, have rules, and even order people to comply.............but some idiot is still gonna sweep you with a loaded gun.
    And another idiot will, and another.

Just one of the perks of working in a gunshop.

Last edited:

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Someone once asked me if I kept a round in the chamber. After I looked at them for a couple of seconds like if he was asking me of I breathed in oxygen I replied "Yes"

He was astounded and asked me I thought that was dangerous. Once again I looked at him for a second like if he were asking me if I breathed out carbon dioxide and again I said "Yes"

He looked at me confused and asked If I thought it was dangerous why I did it.

I simply said. "You never asked me who it was dangerous for."

bobby bobolink

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Paradise Bay
    At the Outpost in Brazil we have no problem with loaded carry guns; it's the customers who can't resist the urge to play show-n-tell that scare the heck out of us. Our posted signs state "Please, no handling of loaded fireams" Yes, you guessed it, it doesn't stop the determined few. yeah, had more than one loaded firearm pointed at me, NOT FUN.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    Need a third choice. Go back to car and spend money elsewhere. They have a sign at Sniper Co. in Fort Wayne that says "No loaded firearms unless holstered." I think most mean guns that are to be holstered. If not I would hit the next one down the road. Freedom Firearms also seems to be OC friendly as of the last couple times I visited. If I was ever asked to return my firearm to my car or unload it in the parking lot. I would not be returning to that shop.

Indy Wing Chun

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    NE Side of Indy

OK, maybe "take your chances" was a bit grandiose. I was trying to convey that you maybe asked to unload, maybe asked to leave, maybe nothing asked at all. The "chances" I meant to imply were the chances of what the owners/operators may do. Didn't mean to get ominous:shady:

100% agree. There should be an option for carrying or refusing to business there. Even at Cabelas, the sign says that guns brought in for trade or repair must be unloaded.

The only time I have ever been in a gun shop without being armed was when I flew to Atlanta and wasn't carrying at all that day.

Need a third choice. Go back to car and spend money elsewhere. They have a sign at Sniper Co. in Fort Wayne that says "No loaded firearms unless holstered." I think most mean guns that are to be holstered. If not I would hit the next one down the road. Freedom Firearms also seems to be OC friendly as of the last couple times I visited. If I was ever asked to return my firearm to my car or unload it in the parking lot. I would not be returning to that shop.

There will never be a poll that has every option that every person wants. I didn't include a "refuse to enter" option b/c I wanted to see people's opinion on actually carrying in said LGS. Since a lot of gunshops tend to be as much hangouts as businesses and I see people in there (NOT employees) with what appears to be a loaded firearm (I never ask), I was seeing if those signs are kind of meant for "noobs" and other "non-regulars" to prevent "coonfingering" and as long as you're holstered they leave you alone or if these signs are enforced more actively.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, only one shop I've ever been in actually check to make sure I was unloaded.

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Their shop, their rules. I unload in the car.

This ^^^^^^^ I have never considered unloading or reloading to be that big of a deal.

Since I am trying to find a smaller carry gun I will often pull out my EDC and compare it to anything I am considering so I can judge if there is enough of a size or weight difference to justify the purchase of a different carry gun. Even if I wasn't planning on doing that I would still unload just out of courtesy to the shop.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    This ^^^^^^^ I have never considered unloading or reloading to be that big of a deal.

Since I am trying to find a smaller carry gun I will often pull out my EDC and compare it to anything I am considering so I can judge if there is enough of a size or weight difference to justify the purchase of a different carry gun. Even if I wasn't planning on doing that I would still unload just out of courtesy to the shop.

To me it's not a "big deal" in regards to convenience, it is a big deal in the interest of safety though. If they are going to insist someone unloads, then they should provide a clearing barrel..

To quote KirkFreeman..

Eez gun. Eez not safe!

Don't coonfinger your weapon.

Bigshep

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 29, 2012
    New Albany
    I actually PM'd one of the employees at my LGS on here when I started carrying a few months back and asked them what their actual policy is on carry in the store. They don't care. They only want for your carry gun to be holstered and not leave that holster while you're in store. If you're wanting to test the fit of holsters or whatever for your carry gun you either need to have it unloaded before you come in or if they have one in stock they'll let you test fit with one from the case. Did that for me once. Anything that is going in for sale/trade/whatever needs to be unloaded.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    Poll needs a "Laugh. Go shop elsewhere." option.

I'm surprised to see that Bare Arms treats its customers that way. I drove past last week and considered going in, but the bizarre religious content on their website gave me pause. Now I think I'll find another shop instead.

Tamara

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple, near t

I've always considered unnecessary coon-fingering of loaded pistols, ostensibly in the name of "safety", to be a pretty big deal, but I'm all squeamish and nervous around guns that way. Every time I see one of those signs, I want to say "How 'bout I just leave it in the holster, Cletus? It ain't hurtin' anybody there."

(I get especially chapped if the person asking me to do it is too ignorant or inconsiderate to provide a sand barrel or other appropriate safe backstop for me to use in gassing up my heater again when I leave.)

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    Gun stays concealed, gun stays loaded. Shops have as much right to control the state of my concealed sidearm as they do to prescribe what underwear I have on.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    You have got to be kidding me.

In the alleged name of safety, he had you draw a holstered pistol and fiddle with it there on the showroom floor? Did he have any other obvious signs of mental impairment, like perhaps a trickle of drool from the corner of his mouth or a strong resemblance to the Vice President?

I have spent most of my adult life behind the counters of gun stores, and that is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. I'd've looked at Cletus like he'd just sprouted a second head and turned around and left the shop.

PS: Thank you for saving me a trip. I'll be bloggin' this, if you don't mind...
    Now that deserves some rep!

Top Bottom