How 'bout a CC/OC hybrid?

picture.php

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    A few years back I asked the owner of 2nd Amendment Guns in Whitestown if his sign was just for insurance purposes. He responded that it was not for insurance (and then some lame "my only insurance is on my hip" comment) and then proceeded to tell me he didn't want other people to have guns in his store. At some point in the conversation before I asked that question he was talking about carrying at HS football games because "nobody's gonna infringe on his rights" (rather amusing). So I asked him if I was currently carrying if I had to leave... his response was "if you are carrying a loaded gun, then yes". I abruptly stopped the conversation and proceeded to go look around at stuff along the wall (I think I made it quite obvious that I was indeed carrying). I figured he never specifically told me to leave and I had plenty of time to walk out the door (store is only about 30' long) before he could call to report trespass. It was worth it to make my silent little protest to his stupidity.

I haven't been back since.

Oh, another funny tidbit... I see him around town all the time. I have never noticed him actually carrying except when he was working. His clothes aren't exactly baggy and I took a pretty hard look. I'm thinking he is a lot of talk. I guess I just find it funny because he ran his mouth so much about not having HIS rights infringed upon (yet he didn't really care about other's) yet I am the one who carries anytime I am wearing pants (and as some of you have seen in other threads... sometimes when I'm not :-) )

RobertaX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Broad Ripple
    Ew, thongs. Not a good look on most gunnies. Also, not comfy. Pretty much the .410/.45LC revolver of the undergarment world: plenty of appeal to the overly-imaginative but.... [Write own punchline]

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I will not do business with a gun store that will not allow me to carry a loaded firearm inside. If they don't support the 2nd, I won't support them and their family.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I always thought it was really meant for guys bringing in guns for work or trade. I could certainly see a liability standpoint of it though for their business though. That being said, I USUALLY abide by the sign by carrying my weapon HOLSTERED and out of respect for their wishes I remove the magazine (placing it in my back pocket so it's still accessible).

TODAY, however, I traveled to a couple of the LGS as I normally do each week/when I get the chance to do so. I walked into one of my favorites (PSS) which actually DOES NOT have such a sign posted. Hence, I was OC and loaded without dropping the mag. I've OCed in there DOZENS of times, as has my wife. Often talking to Bob, bargaining, etc. I've NEVER had a problem in there in the 15 or so years I've bought from them probably nearly half of all my gun purchases. Yet, today one of their "new" guys (I think he's been there maybe a year or so, don't remember him before that) asked if it was loaded, and it caught me "off guard." He asked (or rather "ordered" although respectfully) that I go back to my vehicle and unload. My wife and I complied, but didn't buy anything and had my FIRST "unsatisfactory" visit there. :dunno: I'm still a little disappointed to be honest. Make a policy, stick to it by all employees and enforce it universally...or don't do it at all IMO.

Then went to Bradis and dropped mag as usual per their sign on the door, no problems.

Bob has ALWAYS had a sign at PSS. When did they take it down?

Our sign reads:

Scutter01 says: Keep your loaded handgun in its holster, you GOOBER!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Can anyone explain to me how a LGS refusing your business until you unload your firearm is really any different than the restaurants and other businesses that the same people boycott because they don't allow firearms and have asked people to leave or unarm?

A gun without bullets is the same as no gun. The way I see it, it's just that businesses way of trying to not look like complete hypocrites. I've never been to Bradis and now that I know you have to unload, will never be there, but I don't see how they can be voted gun shop of the year on a pro 2A board while not respecting your right to carry a loaded firearm... WTF INGO? :n00b:

serf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Greenwood
    been to one lgs that had such a sign... havn't been back. both lgs i frequent now encourage carrying (but ya better leave it in the holster.)

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Can anyone explain to me how a LGS refusing your business until you unload your firearm is really any different than the restaurants and other businesses that the same people boycott because they don't allow firearms and have asked people to leave or unarm?

A gun without bullets is the same as no gun. The way I see it, it's just that businesses way of trying to not look like complete hypocrites. I've never been to Bradis and now that I know you have to unload, will never be there, but I don't see how they can be voted gun shop of the year on a pro 2A board while not respecting your right to carry a loaded firearm... WTF INGO? :n00b:

It's up to the individual whether to boycott a business that refuses to allow firearms in their business whether loaded or not. You can boycott the business out of principle, but there are not enough people carrying that would make much of a financial negative impact on a business. As soon as states legislated in favor of CC or open carry, shops started posting No Guns Allowed signs. I lived in Virginia when such legislation passed. Prior, I never saw a no guns allowed sign. Shortly after it was signed, the signs started popping up all over the place!

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    It's up to the individual whether to boycott a business that refuses to allow firearms in their business whether loaded or not. You can boycott the business out of principle, but there are not enough people carrying that would make much of a financial negative impact on a business. As soon as states legislated in favor of CC or open carry, shops started posting No Guns Allowed signs. I lived in Virginia when such legislation passed. Prior, I never saw a no guns allowed sign. Shortly after it was signed, the signs started popping up all over the place!

Very true. However I really just wanted to point out the irony that the same people that boycott and protest establishments where people from this very board have been asked to leave because of carrying, support such gun stores with the same rules. I wasn't sure if anyone else on here realized it and just wanted to point it out for everyone. ;)

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Very true. However I really just wanted to point out the irony that the same people that boycott and protest establishments where people from this very board have been asked to leave because of carrying, support such gun stores with the same rules. I wasn't sure if anyone else on here realized it and just wanted to point it out for everyone. ;)

Does it change things if the store has a sign but their true stance is that they don't care as long as your gun stays holstered?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

Yup, I thought the same thing as you did.

Top Bottom