• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    My henry x is a blast too shoot. Makes me really wanna get into reloading just to feed it. Its shot everything and cycles even .38 wad cutters well

Ryzari

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2023
    Friendship
    I'd say everyone should own a Henry .22 lever rifle. They're super reliable, fun to shoot, and cheap. Their lifetime warranty makes it a nice heirloom rifle if you have kids (as well as a great trainer).

I've not fired any of their big boy rifles, though I really want either a .357 or a 45-70. I have shot a Marlin 336 in 30-30 and it was just as fun as the .22, albeit quite a bit more expensive.

There's just something about grabbing a nice lever gun, dressed with some good wood furniture, that never fails to bring out my inner cowboy.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I didn't see a budget mentioned, but the Marlin 1894 in 357 with the 16" barrel is just about the handiest and well-balanced centerfire rifle I own. This model is a little spendy, but the Henry's with the 16" barrel are pretty nice also.

Cropped IMG_2316.jpg

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I've always wanted an 16' octagon lever gun of some kind. I can vouch for everyone needing a Henry .22 lever. Sadly I had to sell mine years ago but it went to a good home, and now I have a Marlin 39a, which to me feels like a more "grown-up" gun.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I've always wanted an 16' octagon lever gun of some kind. I can vouch for everyone needing a Henry .22 lever. Sadly I had to sell mine years ago but it went to a good home, and now I have a Marlin 39a, which to me feels like a more "grown-up" gun.

I got 2 of the 16" octagons... my .44 mag (posted before) and this Bran-spanking-new one.
    Chiappa 1892 Alaskan takedown from Taylors & Company in .357 mag.
    Just picked it up on the way home this afternoon.

IMG_4696.JPG

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    The very first gun I ever bought with my own money was a Winchester 1994 AE in 1986. 30-30. Still have it. I don’t shoot it much now, but will never get rid of it. I have probably used it to kill 15 or so deer. Great gun. Pistol caliber would be better for home defense though.

duanewade

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 12, 2019
    Columbia City
    I just recently picked up a used Rossi R92 in .44 mag and love it. Putting a red dot or reflex sight in it for an upcoming hog hunt at the end of the month and just from shooting with irons know that it will shoot well out to 100 yards.
    Got a red dot mounted on the Rossi and the scope height is almost perfect on this rail (Northwoods, Fairmont, MN) that I picked up on eBay.

Sighted in for dead on at 75 yards as the hog hunting I'm doing will be less than 100 yard shots with most being between 50-75 yards.

20231116_161241.jpg

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I have others as well, but I'm a sucker for the Marlin 1894. I had my .357 and .44 out the other day with a couple of revolvers to keep them company. The great thing about magnum pistol calibers in a rifle-length barrel is that you see tremendous velocity and energy gains over shooting them out of a short-barreled handgun.

The .357 was my first levergun, and the one that started it all. It's a JM gun from 1982, crazy accurate, and easy to shoot. .38 specials feel like shooting a .22, but you can still knock down the centerfire plates with them. .357 juices it up enough to make it a viable deer rifle. Paired with the 3-screw Blackhawk, it puts me in touch with my inner cowboy.

The .44 I got from a buddy. It's a little more ammo-picky when it comes to accuracy than my .357, but does well with loads that I've worked up specifically for it, and packs a hefty punch. The 16" barrel makes it light, handy, and well-balanced. I don't have a single-action to go with the .44, but that Model 69 is incredibly accurate and makes a great trail gun. The two of them together make a great pair for camping in bear country.

53197535870_2a01520939_c.jpg

Top Bottom