• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deer hunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    I would like to start buying a series of lever action rifles. I would like to purchase a complete set from lets say, .22, .357, .44, & 30-30. I will be buying these one at a time until I get the full set. What are your thoughts on which manufacturer to use, Winchester, Marlin, Henry, or what? Thanks for help.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you want the BEST new production lever rifles to collect, then look no further than Browning...

But for pistol-caliber rifles, like you've mentioned, the venerable Winchester model '94 is probably what you're looking at.

Pre-1964 are most desirable, but you can save big money by buying newer production.

There are DOZENS of chamberings... Good luck on your quest!!

-J-

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I don't see any votes for Marlin. Any reason for that? I have been interested in getting the .357 Marlin with the Octagon barrel for some time now (waiting for the opportunity to present itself). Am I wrong in my choice? Why?

seamusalaska

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 7, 2009
    East Central IN
    Nothing wrong with the Marlins. I have three of the 30-30's and have no complaints. I've had Winchesters with the old top eject system but personally like the Marlin 336 series better: but like any weapon, find what works for you. I don't have nor have fired the .357's Marlins, so can't comment. I find the Marlin quality high. I'm sure someone will have their input soon.

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    I would go so far as to say if you are going to collect newer rifles to use the Marlin may just edge the Win out. I am just a sucker for the classics and that is why if I was going to collect I would chose the Winchester.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    The Marlin 30-30 is a good SHTF gun, too. Ballistics like the 7.62x39 and it wouldn't scare the bejeebers out of anyone if you carried it around since most people look favorably on the good old lever action from all the westerns. The con is that it only holds 6+1 rounds. (10+1 for pistol calibers) but it is light and easily comes on target. The ammo is getting up there in price though. About $16.00 and up for 20 rounds for 30-30, but it is very easy to come by.
    If you're wanting hunting rounds in Indiana, law states that the guns have to be either shotguns or pistol caliber rounds, I believe.
    That may not be the kind of info you're looking for but I thought I'd throw it in.
    I own Marlins and love them. Side ejection is a big plus, especially if you're thinking of putting on a sight. Never had any mechanical problem with them and I've put them through some informal tactical training right along side others shooting AR-15s when I shot well over a couple of hundred rounds in an outing.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I really like my Rossi Model 92 stainless steel SRC in .357 and of course it chambers and fires .38 special as well. It's a nail driver at 100 yards with the iron sights.

Last edited:

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I don't see any votes for Marlin. Any reason for that? I have been interested in getting the .357 Marlin with the Octagon barrel for some time now (waiting for the opportunity to present itself). Am I wrong in my choice? Why?

I and the 1894c Marlin in .357. Excellent rifle. Good choice.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Marlin Was bought out in the last years. production has moved to Ilion New york for the lever actions. There has been some problems with fit and finish in the last few years ( I think they were using up stock sets that were seconds until they ran out of old stock. ) If it has a JM in a circle i would buy it. If it has a proof mark of REP i would check it out like a guy checks out a chick at a strip club. Get a privite dance and check under the hood.

A complete set? Instead of getting all one company get a few of the best.

Browning BLR in any caliber you want: 30-06 7mm 308 243 ect.
    Marlin 336 my favorite is the 35 rem
    marlin 1894 in any flavor
    Winchester 9422 or 9422 mag.
    MAlrin 39a A classic,
    Winchester trappers in pistol cals with the short barrels.

Don't forget a few of the lever rifles no one has mentioned. Savage 99's and winchester model 88's.

I have at least one of each of the above. Except the win 88.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP: Or you could could tailor your collection around a few certain cartridges...

Say, find 2-3 fantastic examples in .30-30

2-3 fantastic examples in .44-40 or .44Mag

2-3 fantastic examples in .22

etc etc.

LOTS of ways to grow a lever rifle collection!

If I only had the resources.... *sigh*

JSeroka

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have looked at alot of lever actions over the years and in my own personal preference I do not care for the winchesters. Now I know for certain they shoot straight, but most of the ones you find on the market these days are top ejecting. I have an issue with getting hit with a hot spent shell after I fire, but hey thats me. I prefer right side ejecting, which Marlin does with all their newer rifles currently. Now you can even find left ejecting and bottom ejecting lever actions. Now as with any other firearm you should buy what you want, so if you want a winchester more power to you, but just keep in mind were that hot shell will be going after your first shot.

slipnotz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 31, 2010
    Marlin has anything that you would want. I use Marlins in 22, 38 special, 357, 44, and 45/70 and have never had a problem.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I would like to start buying a series of lever action rifles. I would like to purchase a complete set from lets say, .22, .357, .44, & 30-30. I will be buying these one at a time until I get the full set. What are your thoughts on which manufacturer to use, Winchester, Marlin, Henry, or what? Thanks for help.

Best lever action out there in .22LR is the Browning Bl-22, IMO. shoots dead on, very short lever throw.....and will eat any ammo. and it's a damn fine looking gun too.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I'd start with .22LR and .35 Rem. If you want more than the .35 Rem, then look at the .338 Marlin Express instead. If you want a gun for big bear then go with a .45-70 or .450 Marlin.

For a pistol caliber I'd go with the .45 Colt or .44 Mag for hunting, make mine a 16" Trapper carbine from Winchester or one of the 1892 clones, or .357 Mag (.38 SPL) for a plinker than can hunt too.

If you need more range go with a Browning BLR, and the possible cartridges open up considerably. I'd probably go with a 7mm-08 or a .358 Win. If you need a Magnum, then something like a 7mm WSM or .325 WSM

Top Bottom