Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    First, lets get this out of the way.
    There has to be a better name.
    Tactical is so over used.
    And not assault pen either.:(

I really do think it's a good idea: Having a pen that is durable enough to get you out of a tough situation.
    I want to get one, but there were only 2 at the last 1500.
    One was so cheap that a bic stick pen would do about as well
    The other one had a CLAW on the end where I would want to put my thumb.
    I thought that was a really bad idea.

Here are my criteria for a good one
    1. it should look like a pen.
    BO09BO092.jpg

this one looks like a kubaton, not a pen.

2. it should actually be useable as a pen.
    BO09BO093.jpg

This think is 1/2" diameter, it would be like carrying a 2 x 4 in your pocket.
    91SPB_m.jpg

7/8" diameter... just no.

3. durable, of course.

4. As stated before, no claw or point on the end where my thumb goes.
    uzi-tacpen1-bk-thumb.jpg

Out.
    Even though, the claw unscrews on this one and there is a handcuff key under there.
    (Like anyone would handcuff you and forget to take your pen LOL)

5. Lastly, they should not be expensive, Surefire sells a tactical pen that costs over $100.
    For a pen? Too much.

They almost all come with a really good ink cartridge, so that is a given.

What do you think INGO?
    Good idea, bad idea,
    Who carries one?
    Where do you get them?
    Which ones do you like?

Maxpedition makes this one and it is my favorite so far.
    policestuff_2378_6640332813

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    I pretty much agree with everything he says.
    Some of the tactical pens look so menacing that sooner or later, TSA is going to start confiscating them.
    $7 for 2 pens is in my price range.
    I still believe that a dedicated "tactical" pen would be more durable that the Zebra staples pen, though.

And he mentioned flashlights.
    My edc flashlight has become indispensable.

Benchmade makes tactical pens that they sell for over $200!!!!

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I have a few, but my favorite is the Tuff Writer that I picked up used. Solid piece and uses Fisher Space Pen refills.

They are priced higher (I believe for a few reasons) , but that is what I carry

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I pretty much agree with everything he says.
    Some of the tactical pens look so menacing that sooner or later, TSA is going to start confiscating them.
    $7 for 2 pens is in my price range.
    I still believe that a dedicated "tactical" pen would be more durable that the Zebra staples pen, though.

Not sure how you can get much of a better value the the Zebra F701. Stainless steel, non-tactical looking and fine for an office environment, very good everyday writer, light, and cheap at about $7. I purchased two only because I misplaced the first one for a while and they have lasted for years. What is your complaint on durability?

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    I bought a couple of these for my wife and me.

https://www.botach.com/kley-zion-stinger-practical-tactical-pen/

Cheap.
    Actually writes well.
    Feels good in the hand with my thumb over the top.
    Some will jeer at Botach, but that's another subject.

I rarely find myself carrying it though. Have it in a computer bag when I travel, which isn't often lately. No trouble with TSA. It sits among some other regular pens/pencils.

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    Not sure how you can get much of a better value the the Zebra F701. Stainless steel, non-tactical looking and fine for an office environment, very good everyday writer, light, and cheap at about $7. I purchased two only because I misplaced the first one for a while and they have lasted for years. What is your complaint on durability?
    Pudly,
    This is not from any experience, but I can imagine breaking out a car window would actually damage the Zebra in a way that the pen would not work anymore.
    Whereas, the actual "tactical" pens are designed for more abuse.
    I know, at that point you can just replace it for another $7, but, you know, just throwing out ideas.

GNR,
    I have seen the Tuff Writer online but the $85 price tag for the most inexpensive one kind of threw me off of that trail.

R33,
    The Smith and Wesson looked pretty good to me too.
    And it says "Smith and Wesson" on it as a bonus.:D

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd love the 701 if it were one piece, but it's not. It's two pieces held together by a plastic inner sleeve. It can and will fail at that point.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Pudly,
    This is not from any experience, but I can imagine breaking out a car window would actually damage the Zebra in a way that the pen would not work anymore.
    Whereas, the actual "tactical" pens are designed for more abuse.

I doubt there have been any tests, but the Zebra is made of stainless steel while the Maxpedition and Tuff Writer are made of aluminum. I wouldn't bet on those being any tougher.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    I have a S&W one somewhere that I used to use everyday. It was like $30 or something, but the ink ran out and I've never bothered to get a refill. It was certainly durable enough to jab someone in the face and still hold up well enough to write them a sorry note. Now I kind of want to go find the thing and load it back up.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Zebra 701 here, if it ever gets down to that level of defense that my kicks to their groin, and or hands wrapped tightly around their neck is not working, what the heck, get out the pen and jab, kick,strangle, and or poke at will cause by that point it's game on and if I lose some para medic EMT type will get a new pen to fill my toe tag with!

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have a couple of Tuff Writers and a Hinderer Investigator. I like them all and would buy them again, but the Hinderer is my most carried. I have a bit of a problem with expensive pens....

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Here is something interesting along the same lines.
    All steel construction.
    No cap to lose.
    Guaranteed for life.
    $13.
    http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Non-Re...d=1441217393&sr=8-3&keywords=fisher+space+pen

This is the primary one that I carry everyday for work. I tend to lose pens, and these are nice ones; good sturdy body, nice writer. And seriously, if one of us is forced to use a pen for self-defense, what are most of us going to do with it? Probably not use it for "pain compliance" (unless by that you mean "the-loss-of-an-eye" type of pain compliance.) You can accomplish as much with a wooden pencil.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have a few, but my favorite is the Tuff Writer that I picked up used. Solid piece and uses Fisher Space Pen refills.

They are priced higher (I believe for a few reasons) , but that is what I carry

Holy moses, those look like nice pens, but for $80-210 I'd want a lanyard on it too. My pens go AWOL too often, ...

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    My new, black, aluminum, Fisher Space pen refills Maxpedition Acantha came on the UPS truck today.
    The first thing I did with it was sign a document IN THE WRONG PLACE.
    It this an omen?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom