Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    02FF8B01-A008-41C8-8142-4942C45E539B.jpg

1637821625166.png

F82E41C8-853C-4A4F-AE8C-C0226AE2DFC9.jpeg

This is the one that gets all the love these days, because I live in an apartment and have to keep the noise down. I play it through this:

With this:

Pretty damn cool to be able to walk around my apartment while I play. The amp has Bluetooth in, so I can jam along with backing tracks or songs on my phone. It actually helps me learn songs better because when the guitar and the source come out of the same speakers, you can really feel the music. Out of time or wrong chord/note? So much easier to react to and correct than being behind the guitar and having sound come out the front of it.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    1ED776FC-241C-49C4-8A52-368AD482B834.jpeg 4FC729D3-1CF2-4D47-957E-6089E21B5775.jpeg

I also have a 100% carbon fiber Rainsong from 2000 (back when they were still built on Maui) with a Fishman blender, and the 30th anniversary Ovation from 1996 (the same one that’s pictured on the cover of “The History of the Ovation Guitar” book). I still have the hardcover book which came with it, signed by Charlie Kaman. I’ve owned both of these since new.

The History of the Ovation Guitar Amazon product ASIN 079355876X

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Two more… Me playing guitar (and cbhausen playing keyboard!) as freshmen or sophomores at Indiana State, 11th floor of Cromwell Hall. Mom gave me this 1983 Ovation Balladeer as an early Christmas present.

1637826424537.jpeg

I still own it, though it’s on loan to a high school classmate’s daughter. So I’ve also posted a picture of her playing it, almost 40 years later!

1637825146238.jpeg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    tbhausen, is that lightweight a Yamaha guitar? The lunchbox amp looks like the Yamaha one. I assume it has a piezo pickup? I have a few necks from projects in the back and 20 plus pickups, bridges, tuners, etc. I already built one 6 string cigar box with Telecaster pickups, I am thinking a headless skeleton guitar might be fun.

Around the holidays, I have been playing a little OM sized acoustic when people are around. I still keep an electric on the stand by the amps.

The pictures in post 165 are a good reminder that we were once young.

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It’s a Yamaha Silent Guitar SLG100S (the very first model they released). I bought the thing and basically left it in the box for the better part of 20 years. Pulled it out when I moved into the apartment. There have been two models since then that added different microphone modeling and chorus, but the amp does all that stuff anyway. The first model was also made in Taiwan and had superior workmanship to the subsequent models which came from Indonesia and China respectively.

Reactions: Leo

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have had my beautiful blue Yamaha acoustic/electric for ten years and have never stuck with playing it because it was just too big and uncomfortable for my stubby little arms. I finally broke down and bought an Ibanez PN1 parlor guitar, and it's a much better fit. Now I have no excuse not to start learning for real.

ibanez.jpg

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I didn't know Ibanez made acoustics, still less parlor guitars.

TBH, I'm not much of a guitarist. I just pluck around and bang on it.

Probably has something to do with the fact I actually play bass guitar.

20211105_184908.jpg

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Getting my first bass is working its way up my priority list.
    The Gretsch short-scales that GC sells for 2-something are a good crossover for a guitar player, and have the benefit of kinda looking like your Pauls:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsc...Short-Scale-Bass.gc?rNtt=gretsch bass&index=1

The longer scale of the bass still always gets me. I would love to be able to play fretless decently, but my finger-memory from guitar really throws a wrench in that. I got one of these, and have stopped myself a couple times from taking the fret-pliers to it. I am old enough to know better.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    The Gretsch short-scales that GC sells for 2-something are a good crossover for a guitar player...

Those are fun. Also tends to be easier on the fingers than long scale due to lower string tension.

The irony is that the short scale basses in standard tuning have more apparent low end than a long scale in standard tuning.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I think I have a bass around here somewhere.

Confirmed. There’s an old Ibanez in the closet. lol
    Likewise ! :thumbsup: I like to hook up an MP3 player through the PA speakers, and play bass along with old Beatle songs.

i-Ts4T9bc-XL.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Those are fun. Also tends to be easier on the fingers than long scale due to lower string tension.

The irony is that the short scale basses in standard tuning have more apparent low end than a long scale in standard tuning.
    I bought a short scale (30") Dean bass, mostly to record some back ground tracks to play guitar over. It was fun but my fingers never forgot it was a totally different instrument. Not harder, just different. I ended up buying a Fender sidekick 30 bass amp and a buddy would play it when he came over. Since he always complained about the little bass, I traded it off for a full size Ibanez, which is a lot better instrument. He played it and liked it. Then he moved away. I still use it to put a bass line on a looper sometimes, probably should have just bought an octave pedal. I did not find the long scale, (34") any more difficult than the short 30" short scale.

ancjr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I bought a short scale (30") Dean bass, mostly to record some back ground tracks to play guitar over. It was fun but my fingers never forgot it was a totally different instrument. Not harder, just different. I ended up buying a Fender sidekick 30 bass amp and a buddy would play it when he came over. Since he always complained about the little bass, I traded it off for a full size Ibanez, which is a lot better instrument. He played it and liked it. Then he moved away. I still use it to put a bass line on a looper sometimes, probably should have just bought an octave pedal. I did not find the long scale, (34") any more difficult than the short 30" short scale.

I was just saying 30" scale is lower tension, all other factors being equal. Approximated by tuning 34" down to D C G F and using a capo on the second fret. Muscle memory of knowing where the notes are across scale lengths is the other part. Sounds like you got it.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    I have a sad. I have been practicing on the Ibanez parlor since I got it, and I don't think I am going to be able to keep it. It feels better than a regular dreadnaught or my acoustic-electric, but there is still a lot of strain on my right shoulder. There is so much "me" in the front that it takes up a lot of my lap room, and my arms are too short for my right arm to reach over the body of the guitar to strum. My shoulders are really in bad shape, particularly might right one, and I can't afford to mess it up any more. I need replacement surgery, but I'm taking care of my mom and just can't do it right now.

Maybe one day I'll be able to play. Have the shoulder surgery. Lose some weight. (Can't grow my arms longer though.) Or maybe I should just cross guitar off my bucket list and get a ukelele.

MindfulMan

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Indiana
    I have a sad. I have been practicing on the Ibanez parlor since I got it, and I don't think I am going to be able to keep it. It feels better than a regular dreadnaught or my acoustic-electric, but there is still a lot of strain on my right shoulder. There is so much "me" in the front that it takes up a lot of my lap room, and my arms are too short for my right arm to reach over the body of the guitar to strum. My shoulders are really in bad shape, particularly might right one, and I can't afford to mess it up any more. I need replacement surgery, but I'm taking care of my mom and just can't do it right now.

Maybe one day I'll be able to play. Have the shoulder surgery. Lose some weight. (Can't grow my arms longer though.) Or maybe I should just cross guitar off my bucket list and get a ukelele.
    Ahh, don't give up ! You never have to play 'well', just good enough to personally enjoy it.

Top Bottom