• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I read some on it. It's nothing I care to get into; was just curious about the process.
    Making the molds and smoothing them, and in/out of an oven for each color lost my interest.
    Yeah it's very tedious work. I'm tempted to outsource the mold process and I'm currently looking into a 24 head machine to do the work. At that point I'd just be designing and flipping patties for the most part.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Yeah it's very tedious work. I'm tempted to outsource the mold process and I'm currently looking into a 24 head machine to do the work. At that point I'd just be designing and flipping patties for the most part.
    A little more investigation, revealed that the hardest part is the molds. By polishing, they sandblast them in most cases, but there's supposed to be a chemical that some use. The dispensing machine does the work, and all colors are put in at the same time(rather than baking each color individually), then the backing layer after it's baked.
    I'm set-up to make them, minus the PVC, and I would have to hand dispense also.
    I have no market for them, and don't need something else to drain my wallet, but it's interesting.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    IMG_1637.jpeg

made this many moons ago for my wife for our 5th anniversary. Good family friend and co-worker let me use his wood shop. Roughly made from plans for a shaker cabinet from Norm Abrams. The overall size matches the plans, but the doors were altered to match my level of craftsmanship at the time. The original door design was to come clear out to the beveled edge which required the door edges to be at a 22 1/2 bevel to fit flush. I decided against that due to time and not wanting to screw it up. I now have my own tool setup, but lack the time to make serious pieces. I have a fish tank stand for a 75 gallon tank I made from oak and a kitchen island/movable table I made from 2 base cabinets and an oak top with casters. Last piece I have is a L shaped computer desk with shelves at one end and a 3drawer cabinet at the other with the top made from 2 sheets of 3/4 oak plywood.

Lpherr

Occupied
    View attachment 299207

made this many moons ago for my wife for our 5th anniversary. Good family friend and co-worker let me use his wood shop. Roughly made from plans for a shaker cabinet from Norm Abrams. The overall size matches the plans, but the doors were altered to match my level of craftsmanship at the time. The original door design was to come clear out to the beveled edge which required the door edges to be at a 22 1/2 bevel to fit flush. I decided against that due to time and not wanting to screw it up. I now have my own tool setup, but lack the time to make serious pieces. I have a fish tank stand for a 75 gallon tank I made from oak and a kitchen island/movable table I made from 2 base cabinets and an oak top with casters. Last piece I have is a L shaped computer desk with shelves at one end and a 3drawer cabinet at the other with the top made from 2 sheets of 3/4 oak plywood.
    I built a wall hung curio 23 years ago, from my own plans.
    It still hangs in the same spot today.

I would post a pic, but it's full of well.... stuff. A little cluttered. Guess it should've been bigger.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I weather figures depending on the moment and what they're doing. The smaller the scale people have a tendency to over weather them and it detracts from the details. The sniper team that's 1/35th scale. I don't want to overdo it. Now these two are 120 mm or 1/16th scale... obviously the time frame and conditions they are in deserves more when it comes to the harshness of the weathering.

View attachment 298513

View attachment 298514

View attachment 298515

View attachment 298516

My personal opinion is I think sometimes weathering on figures are way overdone. Much like weathering on objects like aircraft ships or Vehicles depending on the time frame and depending on what their environment is.

Much agreed. The whole "been dragged by a truck" look is overdone. The Deadpool Glocks are to blame.

I try to keep the dry brushing to a minimum for the brighter colors. It tends to stand out more. My schemes are much flashier than yours with militaria. I do gameboard pieces, usually fantasy oriented.

I love your textured bases. I had wanted to go that route for some, but was afraid the abrasive materials would degrade the board (OOP game)

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Much agreed. The whole "been dragged by a truck" look is overdone. The Deadpool Glocks are to blame.

I try to keep the dry brushing to a minimum for the brighter colors. It tends to stand out more. My schemes are much flashier than yours with militaria. I do gameboard pieces, usually fantasy oriented.

I love your textured bases. I had wanted to go that route for some, but was afraid the abrasive materials would degrade the board (OOP game)

I'm using the AK interactive textured dirt or mud which is acrylic anyway. It really works well on foam. I have been experimenting with using static grass. I saw a YouTube video from a guy that would take static grass and he would take the longer lengths and get it so it stood up using the static machine and then after it dried he would go back and airbrush it with acrylic paint. It really comes out well looking like real grass after you get done running some dry brushing over it.

I have done some gaming Miniatures as well. Bolt action and 40k. My son is into 40K so I've done a lot of his stuff but he's gotten much better over the years and he paints a lot of his own stuff now.

20230914_212722.jpg

I really enjoyed doing this McFarland's artist proof large scale 40K figure

mike45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    east central
    Decided to try my hand at leather carving. Still need lots of practice but I’ve got some ideas, my brother in law was in the 101st so I’m going to make him a knife with a leather sheath that is has a carved American flag with the Screaming Eagle’s emblem on the front. I definitely gotta get better at the lettering though!
    View attachment 296152 View attachment 296153 View attachment 296155
    Where did you get the leather? I need some for a holster.

Top Bottom