• ...and so much more!
  • TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Too close for comfort
    This first one, I wrote off as a failure, because my attention was distracted and the colors hit bubble gum stage.
    This usually means huge air inclusions, so I decided to split the block to see how bad it was. To my surprise, it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had envisioned. There are a few small spots, that are completely repairable.

View attachment 298472

This next one, is the one I attempted to replicate, since the one color is unavailable. I custom mixed some colors to get it close, and even though it isn't exact, I still like the outcome. I flipped it end for end, trying to show how the colors have variable blends, dependent on the viewing angle.

View attachment 298473

I promise, all of these look better in hand.
    I have two more I'm pouring today.

:wow: That 1st pair in brown/orange/white immediately made me think Van Gogh!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Awesome painting.
    Not to cast a negative comment, but maybe some "weathering" of the soldiers?
    Dirt, a little shading on the uniform.

It's not meant to be a criticism, they're better than what I can do.
    I weather figures depending on the moment and what they're doing. The smaller the scale people have a tendency to over weather them and it detracts from the details. The sniper team that's 1/35th scale. I don't want to overdo it. Now these two are 120 mm or 1/16th scale... obviously the time frame and conditions they are in deserves more when it comes to the harshness of the weathering.

20230910_151026.jpg

20230910_151013.jpg

20230910_150822.jpg

20230910_150840.jpg

My personal opinion is I think sometimes weathering on figures are way overdone. Much like weathering on objects like aircraft ships or Vehicles depending on the time frame and depending on what their environment is.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    They are full blocks, so it would make a nice handle as well.
    The graphite, silver and red is one of my favorite combinations.
    The two Damascus blades I made I used pen blanks for the segments, the hard part is all the cutting I have to do to size them then trying to get them symmetrical so they will match up when I glue up the scales

Lpherr

Occupied
    The two Damascus blades I made I used pen blanks for the segments, the hard part is all the cutting I have to do to size them then trying to get them symmetrical so they will match up when I glue up the scales
    Pen blanks are typically 3/4" square, unless they are round blanks.

This handle, should only require a single cut across the black piece at whatever angle you use (30*).
    If everything is square and fits flush, the green pieces would only be cut to length.
    To keep it symmetrical, build it as one block, then split it to make a book matched set.

1694548324841.png

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Pen blanks are typically 3/4" square, unless they are round blanks.

This handle, should only require a single cut across the black piece at whatever angle you use (30*).
    If everything is square and fits flush, the green pieces would only be cut to length.
    To keep it symmetrical, build it as one block, then split it to make a book matched set.

View attachment 298947
    That’s pretty much how I did it, just lots of tedious sanding and gluing to try and keep everything symmetrical and tight.

Lpherr

Occupied
    OK, these are the last three (unless by some miracle someone orders a bunch), so this is the end of the cast block pics.
    The colors are off a bit without any sun.

The one that looks like a red color, is actually a bright pink.
    The black/white one, is similar to the Opal block, in that the dominate color varies by viewing angle; like Abalone.
    The other is a mix of blue and purple with some extras.

I have nine blocks to decide what to do with.

1694625864834.png

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I can see the logo stamp on the brown one. It looks like it worked pretty good.

They both look nice, and compliment the knives well.
    Thank you! It does work very well. I need to flatten the top side so I have a reference to keep it straight but that’s easy enough to fix

Lpherr

Occupied
    Thank you! It does work very well. I need to flatten the top side so I have a reference to keep it straight but that’s easy enough to fix
    I was going to do that. I believe I put a small notch at the top center, but it was pretty small.

Top Bottom