• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Bought the stained glass at one of the first auctions my better half and I went to after we were married. Supposedly came out of the old Holiday Inn in Lafayette and it was made in Lafayette by Kaleidoscope, who is still in business. Was going to go in our house but I got laid off and we moved to SC for 5 years. Fast forward another 16 years. Tired of it taking up room in my barn so I set this plan in motion. Made the frame from a desk I got that our church threw out. The desktop was solid ash under the veneer. Took the photo and had the poster made. When I met my wife, she lived in the apartments in the shadow of that tower. I left the frame natural as I figured my wife would want it finished like our kitchen cabinets, which she refinished. I gave this to her for her birthday. She thought it was a wonderful gift. She then refinished the frame and we hung it up. It is 3’ wide and 4’ tall. IMG_0918.jpeg

Midwestjimbo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Highland
    Bought the stained glass at one of the first auctions my better half and I went to after we were married. Supposedly came out of the old Holiday Inn in Lafayette and it was made in Lafayette by Kaleidoscope, who is still in business. Was going to go in our house but I got laid off and we moved to SC for 5 years. Fast forward another 16 years. Tired of it taking up room in my barn so I set this plan in motion. Made the frame from a desk I got that our church threw out. The desktop was solid ash under the veneer. Took the photo and had the poster made. When I met my wife, she lived in the apartments in the shadow of that tower. I left the frame natural as I figured my wife would want it finished like our kitchen cabinets, which she refinished. I gave this to her for her birthday. She thought it was a wonderful gift. She then refinished the frame and we hung it up. It is 3’ wide and 4’ tall. View attachment 302424
    I love this idea. I've got a couple of auction stained glass I could not figure out what to do with it. I'll be sure to give you credit if I can make the time to try something similar. Beautiful piece.

Lpherr

Occupied
    Bought the stained glass at one of the first auctions my better half and I went to after we were married. Supposedly came out of the old Holiday Inn in Lafayette and it was made in Lafayette by Kaleidoscope, who is still in business. Was going to go in our house but I got laid off and we moved to SC for 5 years. Fast forward another 16 years. Tired of it taking up room in my barn so I set this plan in motion. Made the frame from a desk I got that our church threw out. The desktop was solid ash under the veneer. Took the photo and had the poster made. When I met my wife, she lived in the apartments in the shadow of that tower. I left the frame natural as I figured my wife would want it finished like our kitchen cabinets, which she refinished. I gave this to her for her birthday. She thought it was a wonderful gift. She then refinished the frame and we hung it up. It is 3’ wide and 4’ tall. View attachment 302424
    Interesting idea.
    Could've made a hidden gun cabinet or spice cabinet, since it's in the kitchen.
    It's pretty easy to put full extension drawer guides on one side, so the side pulls out.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Never did wood carving. And using a chainsaw so far. Just did this today. Trying to make mushrooms. This a 14” x 8” . I’ll post as I go along. I could use a dremal and a wood lathe, but axe and chainsaw and drill will have to do. View attachment 302756 View attachment 302810
    If you decide to make more "mushrooms" there are some pretty cool attachments for the angle grinder now too.
    I got the bottom pic package, the top 2 in the bottom pic is useful, less so the chainsaw blade. I'd be interested in the other options also.
    Screenshot_20231002-100558_Samsung Internet.jpg

Lpherr

Occupied
    Tells us how you did it.
    Like with any finish, it started with sanding.
    The surface imperfections need removed, and establish a smooth surface.
    After progressive sanding, it goes to the buff jack using several compounds and various wheels.

Pretty simple.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I haven't been able to work on many fun projects.

Few people at work quit (good for my paycheck), means I have to get up an hour earlier. Projects around the house, toddler and puppy... helping family members get ready for a move. No energy for projects or even grilling :*(

Lpherr

Occupied
    Got these two finished, just need to make sheaths. I’m thinking cross draw will look good with them. Used 1084 steel with a final HRC of 61-63 and curly walnut scales, the other is sporting flame birch scales View attachment 304372 View attachment 304373 View attachment 304374 View attachment 304375 View attachment 304376 View attachment 304377 View attachment 304378

Love the blades.
    IMO, they would look amazing with a stabilized burl, or maybe a hybrid handle.

Top Bottom