Let's Organize "ILOCD": (Indiana Legal Open Carry Day)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    The event name point is well taken... This would be "our" event to plan, organize, and participate in (hence the "Let's" in the thread title). It's out here in the open now and in no way exclusionary. Of course we should build on what's been done in the past (as I wrote earlier). So, in the spirit of politeness, this is a formal "reaching out"--"Let's" do this :)

I agree with previous comments that "Indiana Legal Open Carry Day" could be perceived as implying that that it is legal only on that day etc by the less educated, or/and observant, in our State.

May I suggest a slight change?

"Indiana 'Open Carry is Legal' Day"

..or something similar?

I would also think it would be nice for you to reach out to the others on here that have done this before, and at least offer to work with them, rather than making this a separate event. It would be the polite thing to do, I think...

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    All this is right now is me poking around on a computer late at night, thinking out loud about a not-new idea to carry forward with a theme for a public-awareness event I hadn't personally heard of (much less participated in) in the past. It's up to us to make more of it, if enough of us think it's worth the effort.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'd be curious to see how many would be willing to do it in their own hometowns on the specified date statewide. :dunno:

Just get as many carriers as possible to carry openly that day.

Then, next time, we converge more open carriers upon any areas that just don't "get it" yet.

Then, open carry Thursdays for a few months. :rockwoot:

Eventually, it becomes so normalized and popular that even I switch to concealing just so I can stir up arguments on the internet. :D

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    In a perfect world, I think many of us would agree that the sight of armed citizens should be the norm, instilling a calming, comforting confidence that competent individuals are nearly always at hand who know when and how to defend themselves and the innocent and defenseless. It's all about education and awareness, one baby step at a time.

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    Walk? It's hard enough just convincing the concealers to come out of the closet and OC in their own yard for a day!

:scared:

:laugh: (Just kidding CCers)

I have a blackhawk holster for my G36, and a Fobus holster for my XD45, both of which can only be concealed by the two heavy coats and a sweatshirt that I have, so I've opted to only CC around my grandfather, because he doesn't think OC is a good idea. But as soon as I'm out of his sight, the sweatshirt comes off.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Damn, street full of gun-totin rednecks!! :)

:):
    Margaret <stomping into office>: "Milburn! You've got to do something about those dreadful hillbillies!"
    Drysdale: "I did. I just increased J.D. Clampett's net worth by 10%."
    Margaret: "I've had it! Either they go - or I go!"
    Drysdale: "Bye. <points to Claude the french poodle> And get that mutt outta my office."
    Margaret <covers poodle's ears>: "Daddy didn't mean it, Claude. Milburn, tell him you're sorry."
    Drysdale: "I'm not apologizing to that d**n mutt!"
    "Miss Hathaway!"
    Jane: "Yes, chief?"
    Drysdale: "You find a way to keep J.D. Clampett and his forty million dollars in my bank, or YOU'RE FIRED!"
    Jane: "But chief..."
    Drysdale: "Out!"

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    :):
    Margaret <stomping into office>: "Milburn! You've got to do something about those dreadful hillbillies!"
    Drysdale: "I did. I just increased J.D. Clampett's net worth by 10%."
    Margaret: "I've had it! Either they go - or I go!"
    Drysdale: "Bye. <points to Claude the french poodle> And get that mutt outta my office."
    Margaret <covers poodle's ears>: "Daddy didn't mean it, Claude. Milburn, tell him you're sorry."
    Drysdale: "I'm not apologizing to that d**n mutt!"
    "Miss Hathaway!"
    Jane: "Yes, chief?"
    Drysdale: "You find a way to keep J.D. Clampett and his forty million dollars in my bank, or YOU'RE FIRED!"
    Jane: "But chief..."
    Drysdale: "Out!"

I assume that's before my time.

And I want a shirt too!

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I definitely like the idea, but I can do without political references on the shirt. I know people on all sides who believe in, fight for, and carry out their 2A rights.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    It's a long time from now, and it would probably be so cold that folks would want to bundle up which could take away some OC options, but doesn't it make sense to do this on January 9, 2011?

(that's 1/9/11...1911...ah, forget it...it was a good idea in my head, anyway)
    ;)

TJSieling

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 10, 2010
    Indianapolis - West Side
    I didn't read the whole thread... cliffs notes anyone?

Indiana Legal Open Carry Day possibly changed to Indiana "Open Carry is Legal" Day
    Trying to come up with what a shirt could possibly say
    Might be handing out informational papers
    SANDALS MUST BE ACCOMPANIED BY SOCKS
    Bacon is a drug

All running on the assumption that it will happen. Also brought up was trying a set date during the week for everyone to OC to "normalize" the sight of citizens with guns.

Mrkeller

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Greensburg
    I'd be curious to see how many would be willing to do it in their own hometowns on the specified date statewide. :dunno:
    I like that idea. Bad thing is, I don't know of anyone else in my town that would be willing to do it. I have only seen one person in public that had a holster, no gun, just the holster.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I like that idea. Bad thing is, I don't know of anyone else in my town that would be willing to do it. I have only seen one person in public that had a holster, no gun, just the holster.

Maybe I'll come hang out in your town that day.

I already have my town trained. ;)

Top Bottom