• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    I was wondering what some of you LEO's and other guys trying to get onto a department's experience has been.

I just finished my first process. Unfortunately didn't end with me getting the job. I made it to the final 6 though, when we started with ~130. It took almost 7 months to get to the final interview, is that about how long most processes take?

My other question is about education/training. Obviously a Bachelors in Criminal Justice is going to be ideal. I already have a bachelors in Ex. Sciences and wanted to know if going back to get an Associates would be worth my time?

Thanks in advance!

GtEcH25

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Bloomington
    Don't take it too hard. Guys I know that are already certified go through many processes before getting hired. 7 months is on the longer end of it but its all about how badly the department needs officers. I'm assuming if you made it to the final 6 you're still on the list?

If you already have a bachelors, I would bother going back to get an associates but a masters would definitely help a lot. I'm getting ready to go back for my masters for the fall just to open up more doors in the future.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I have a degree in Criminal Justice and it really has nothing to do with actual police work. Any degree will help because it shows that you have the ability to be taught and retain knowledge, or at least regurgitate it well enough to pass tests. For future degrees, go for anything management-oriented.

And processes do take up to a year to complete. When I was hired by IPD in '02 the process started in September and the academy started in July.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I was hired my first attempt with just a high school diploma. The process took a full year back then, but has been streamlined and now takes half that.

I do know many officers that applied numerous times before getting hired, though, so don't give up on it.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    I was hired my first attempt with just a high school diploma. The process took a full year back then, but has been streamlined and now takes half that.

I do know many officers that applied numerous times before getting hired, though, so don't give up on it.

8 months for me.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    my process took 2 years :n00b: but it was full of political wavering and was abnormal. I have a degree in criminology and like Frank says, it has little to do with police work. Any degree is better than none.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I was wondering what some of you LEO's and other guys trying to get onto a department's experience has been.

I just finished my first process. Unfortunately didn't end with me getting the job. I made it to the final 6 though, when we started with ~130. It took almost 7 months to get to the final interview, is that about how long most processes take?

My other question is about education/training. Obviously a Bachelors in Criminal Justice is going to be ideal. I already have a bachelors in Ex. Sciences and wanted to know if going back to get an Associates would be worth my time?

Thanks in advance!

One thing to keep in mind so you don't get too discouraged and it's not just limited to LEO jobs but many organizations are bound by certain HR rules that mean they must post jobs and do interviews but in the end they know who they want to hire beforehand. Unfortunately they waste a lot of applicants time and while it is infuriating it is the way of the world. The old adage it's not what you know but who you know is alive and well.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I wish I would have went to college even if just for an associates degree. I have applied for four police jobs. My first was for a reserve for a sheriffs department. I did not get that job for whatever reason. I did get all of the other three and still work for two of the three. All I have is a GED,8+ years military and a good stable work history in the skilled trades. I don't know why agency's hire who they hire. I have been on two hiring interview boards. One for an agency I work for now and one for a outside agency that asked me to sit on their interview board. I can say one thing for this county, most places are picking up the veterans over guys with degrees only.

From what I have seen the background and the polygraph are what gets most guys kicked. Keep trying and someone will grab you up.

J D

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    Fishers In
    It can be really frustrating, but if this is what you want as a profession keep trying. I've worked with and trained several guys and gals who went through our process several times. The unofficial record holder I can think of was five times. They've all done just as well as everyone else after they're through the training and on their own. Hold your head up and keep trying.

Try to improve yourself as you go. If you don't have college an associates can't hurt but usually isn't mandatory. I know several who were hired with an A.S. Keep an eye out for any reserve programs or civilian positions that are available. It's always good experience and can be a foot in the door. Just keep in mind in those positions you can hurt yourself as much as help yourself. It's rare but it happens.

SteviGX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2011
    Really appreciate the encouragement. I'll keep plugging away trying to make myself a better candidate. I think the thing that really killed me during the commissioners interview was just not knowing what to expect.

I already have a bachelors degree. It is in Exercise Science (as they pointed out during the last process, completely unrelated). That's why I was curious if it would be of any benefit to me, to get some classes in Criminal Justice. From the sound of it, I am better off spending that money on other things.

I have the opportunity to be a reserve at this department. If I take advantage of that, will that hinder me with other departments that I apply with? Only reason I could think of is that they may feel I am partial to that department and they would be coming in second.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Really appreciate the encouragement. I'll keep plugging away trying to make myself a better candidate. I think the thing that really killed me during the commissioners interview was just not knowing what to expect.

I already have a bachelors degree. It is in Exercise Science (as they pointed out during the last process, completely unrelated). That's why I was curious if it would be of any benefit to me, to get some classes in Criminal Justice. From the sound of it, I am better off spending that money on other things.

I have the opportunity to be a reserve at this department. If I take advantage of that, will that hinder me with other departments that I apply with? Only reason I could think of is that they may feel I am partial to that department and they would be coming in second.
    It's been my experience that if a Reserve Officer shows that he/she has the makings of a good LEO they will have an opportunity to join departments other than the one that they are a Reserve Officer for.
    In fact many Reserve Officer groups are looked upon as recruiting opportunities for larger departments.
    Kinda like The Minor League in baseball. ;)

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    It's been my experience that if a Reserve Officer shows that he/she has the makings of a good LEO they will have an opportunity to join departments other than the one that they are a Reserve Officer for.
    In fact many Reserve Officer groups are looked upon as recruiting opportunities for larger departments.
    Kinda like The Minor League in baseball. ;)

Yup. Top Brass loves to know if you "fit in" with the family and that you ACTUALLY want to do this for more than just a pay check....

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Kinda totally off topic but it could be worse as time wise. A friend of mine got a job that took 3 years from applying to getting hired.

Top Bottom