• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    I have a glock 42 that I am qualified with to carry as a BUG but I am considering getting a glock 43 and my duty weapon is a glock 19. How would you guys recommend carrying it on body and in what holster? And what brand of go bag should I use and what should I in it for patrol? Or would I be better off going getting something like the First On by First Spear? For a active shooter grab and go kind of rig. I am open to new suggestions.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I have a glock 42 that I am qualified with to carry as a BUG but I am considering getting a glock 43 and my duty weapon is a glock 19. How would you guys recommend carrying it on body and in what holster? And what brand of go bag should I use and what should I in it for patrol? Or would I be better off going getting something like the First On by First Spear? For a active shooter grab and go kind of rig. I am open to new suggestions.

What is the possibility of some type of chest rig or plate carrier for an active shooter scenario? One of those would probably be better than a bag for active shooters.

covert justice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2012
    Indy
    I bet you will get a different answer from everybody that replies. Half of them will be from people who do not wear a uniform. It is as personal choice as your underwear. My BUG and its location has changed a few times in my 23 years in uniform. The uniform has changed too. Wherever you put whatever you carry, if it's a BUG, you will only use it when things have gone terribly wrong and you might be hurt! Maybe you should think about putting it someplace that you can get to it with either hand. I know a lot of officers that have carried on their ankles for years. I don't like the ankle for a number of reasons but that is just my opinion. That is a thread of it's own... I have an "Active Shooter" bag that has never left the car. All of the incidents that I have deployed my patrol rifle have been fluid and dynamic. Response time is critical so I have gotten away from the "Active Shooter" bag. I still have the bag but it carries support stuff in it. I have gone to a Rifle plate carrier that has rifle/pistol mags, cuffs, BIG ID Panels and a tourniquet. I found that carrying a bag, wearing a gun belt with a rifle slung was cumbersome. Think about what you need and how you will use it. Will you ditch the bag when it gets in your way? It took me a few calls to figure out what works for me.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm a fan of ankle carry for my backup. The most likely situation where you'd transition to it, IMO, would be if you unfortunately end up on your back with a guy straddling your hips, making your batman tools inaccessible. If you have any experience ground fighting, you should be able to prevent the assailant from raining down blows on you, by pulling his body down toward your chest, at which point you can reach your backup (gun or knife) on your ankle, and end it. Do whatever is best for abilities.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    Depending on the type of uniform you wear, this is the best option IMO. Very fast access and you can get to it with either hand. I replaced my zippers with velco so I could get my shirt open easier. I carried a 27 and it wasn't noticeable. I've since switched to a polo style shirt so I haven't been using it.

As far as active shooter gear goes, I run a plate carrier with everything I'll need ( subjective depending on who you ask but IMO all you need is ammo, an IFAK and tourniquets) on it vs a bag.

DWS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    Sheridan
    ...... I have an "Active Shooter" bag that has never left the car. All of the incidents that I have deployed my patrol rifle have been fluid and dynamic. Response time is critical so I have gotten away from the "Active Shooter" bag. I still have the bag but it carries support stuff in it. I have gone to a Rifle plate carrier that has rifle/pistol mags, cuffs, BIG ID Panels and a tourniquet. I found that carrying a bag, wearing a gun belt with a rifle slung was cumbersome. Think about what you need and how you will use it. Will you ditch the bag when it gets in your way? It took me a few calls to figure out what works for me.

^^ This. Because "Active Shooter" bags are so 2006. .
    The problem with bags is they collect stuff. It's easy to toss it in with the motto, "Two is 1 / 1 is None" and suddenly your carrying around your mothers purse from 1985. Sure - it's great when you need a pair of fingernail clippers or that long lost storm trooper blaster you lost but not as value added in a tense, uncertain and rapidly evolving response.

Todays hip and fashionably conscious LEO's should be strutting down the hallways during the local shooter scenarios wearing the best plate carrier they can afford. I have recently been working on obtaining funds for mine. Afterwords I will still have the ole' go bag sitting proudly in the back seat and will utilize it as more of a deployment bag for perimeters and such to carry those items you always want / need on indifinant deployments and OT shifts..

as as far as BUGS - I would prefer that these type of topics are never discussed in an open forum. Mine is close.. Danger close..

Top Bottom