• ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    For informational only!

Apparently this department had an AD with no foul play caught on camera. They immediately ordered Glocks.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Well, at least this wasn't the "drop" issue that the P320 had when it was first introduced.

I have 3 P320s and really like them, but I do understand that with no trigger safety, they are more prone to unintentional discharge if something inadvertently contacts the trigger. I'd be interested to see if the pistol was properly holstered in a holster specifically for the P320, and if any foreign material had made its way into the holster.

Could have been a mechanical malfunction involving the sear without trigger engagement, but I'm betting that since the pistol only fired when the officer was crouching and likely putting pressure against the pistol or holster, that the trigger was probably inadvertently pressed by an ill-fitting holster or foreign material.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Well, at least this wasn't the "drop" issue that the P320 had when it was first introduced.

I have 3 P320s and really like them, but I do understand that with no trigger safety, they are more prone to unintentional discharge if something inadvertently contacts the trigger. I'd be interested to see if the pistol was properly holstered in a holster specifically for the P320, and if any foreign material had made its way into the holster.

Could have been a mechanical malfunction involving the sear without trigger engagement, but I'm betting that since the pistol only fired when the officer was crouching and likely putting pressure against the pistol or holster, that the trigger was probably inadvertently pressed by an ill-fitting holster or foreign material.
    I believe it was a proper fitted duty holster. I will follow up if more info is released.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I believe it was a proper fitted duty holster. I will follow up if more info is released.
    Let's just say I personally know a motorcycle officer who showed up at the range for qualification day and could not get his G22 out of his duty holster. It was stuck. Turns out, it was stuck because this genius NEVER took his gun out of his holster. No holster/weapon is more exposed to the elements on a daily basis than that of a motorcycle cop assigned to traffic duty. He'd go home, take his belt off and throw it wherever it is that he threw it until his next shift, pistol still in the holster. Mother nature did its thing over time. Good thing he found out at the range, rather than while dancing with the devil.

Also had the pleasure to inspect an officer's patrol rifle after a shooting involving several officers. Not sure if he actually hit anything, the optic was looser on the rail than Madonna.

This could very well be the pistol, but knowing what I know, I'm not jumping to conclusions. And as I've said, the P320 seems to be more prone to unintentional discharge than something with a trigger safety like a Glock or the new M&P series. Does seem odd, though, that the P365 doesn't have a trigger safety either, and I've seen no widespread complaints about unintentional discharges with that pistol.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    I would also not be surprised if it's a torsion issue with the frame flexing under pressure and interacting with the FCU to cause an unintentional discharge if things are just right. On all 3 of my P320s, the first thing I did with the stock grip modules is to change them out, because in my opinion, the stock P320 grip modules are cheap, flimsy junk. They scratch easily as well, which probably speaks to their overall quality, IMO.

There is a lot of flex possible in the area of the stock grip module where the FCU sits. My Wilson Combat grip module on my P320 Carry is much more rigid in this area. My other 2 P320s have AXG grip modules, so obviously no flex there, because aluminum.

If this keeps up, regardless of who or what is at fault, Springfield Armory had better strike while the iron is hot with their new Echelon.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I also own three 320's, I bought M17's for the main reason that they came with a safety. I've carried one daily in one of those horribly scary Blackhawk holsters for about two years now.
    None of mine seem have a mind of there own.

Why does this non reproducable phphenomenon seem to happen with just LE?

I learned here that having a safety on a striker fire pistol is a bad thing. lol

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I sold my P320 (w/trigger upgrade) and got a P365XL with a manual safety. I must admit, I worry more about the P365 than I ever worried about a Condition One 1911. Series 80: grip safety, firing pin safety, manual safety, training. I knew exactly what I had in my holster.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    With that price tag for the glocks I am assuming they will be optic cut models. unless that price includes holsters, I figure a dept gets them for less than $600 per Glock maybe because it is rushed.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Saw the video, really glad that ricochet found the wall and not a person (except maybe for the idiot who was stealing drugs from a take-back box IN A POLICE STATION!!)

The reporter: from the local Middle School? He looked 12!!

This quote was from the rando in the Nike t-shirt in the parking lot. No chyron, didn't say WTF he was, just a rando in the parking lot.

“I’m seeing new safety devices out every day,” Zaklukiewicz said. “I think people are still getting hurt.”

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    From the ketchup and mustard SW M66 that I saw at IPD to the cricket lighter loaded into an 870, things end up in strange places.

Wait and see. Firing pin springs being a problem causing guns to go off on their own? Huh?

Hey, have I told you guys about my 870 at Shootrite?

Find it notable that the replacement pistols were Glocks.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Fascinating that the gun could potentially be torqued enough in the holster to allow the sear to slip. Whoever manages to make a pistol light that is not wider than the pistol that it goes on and is actually worth a damn will.make a boatload of money off LEO sales.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I also own three 320's, I bought M17's for the main reason that they came with a safety. I've carried one daily in one of those horribly scary Blackhawk holsters for about two years now.
    None of mine seem have a mind of there own.

Why does this non reproducable phphenomenon seem to happen with just LE?

I learned here that having a safety on a striker fire pistol is a bad thing. lol
    It is not just with LE. Multiple reports with regular people and at matches. It is not unusual to me it would be more likely with LE as they actually wear their guns all of the time and as has seen here subject them to many different kinds of movement, impact and in some cases abuse.
    I also wouldn't say it is unreproducible. I and others have found that you can reproduce a potential OOB discharge with 320s.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I would also not be surprised if it's a torsion issue with the frame flexing under pressure and interacting with the FCU to cause an unintentional discharge if things are just right. On all 3 of my P320s, the first thing I did with the stock grip modules is to change them out, because in my opinion, the stock P320 grip modules are cheap, flimsy junk. They scratch easily as well, which probably speaks to their overall quality, IMO.

There is a lot of flex possible in the area of the stock grip module where the FCU sits. My Wilson Combat grip module on my P320 Carry is much more rigid in this area. My other 2 P320s have AXG grip modules, so obviously no flex there, because aluminum.

If this keeps up, regardless of who or what is at fault, Springfield Armory had better strike while the iron is hot with their new Echelon.
    Echelon marketing material already makes a reference to the design preventing unintended discharges, etc. They are definitely going at that, while still treading lightly.

Top Bottom