• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    This question is specifically for guns like glock and cz that have the serial number on the slide barrel and frame/receiver. If I change the slide from a gun with another serial# is this a crime that can get me in trouble since it is a serialized part?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You are fine. The only serial number that US law cares about is the frame serial and whether it is legible or not.

Other serialized parts don’t matter. Unless that barrel you bought from Cletus was stripped out of a stolen firearm. I could see that causing an issue.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    You are fine. The only serial number that US law cares about is the frame serial and whether it is legible or not.

Other serialized parts don’t matter. Unless that barrel you bought from Cletus was stripped out of a stolen firearm. I could see that causing an issue.
    Yep!!! What Cameramonkey says.
    Frame serial number is all that matters from a legal standpoint.

Where it can hurt you is if it is an old collectible… like a car then you need matching numbers for maximum return.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Did you hvae time to check? What does it say?

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

It does not say, "shall not be infringed except for requiring numbers on the parts that must also match".

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This question is specifically for guns like glock and cz that have the serial number on the slide barrel and frame/receiver. If I change the slide from a gun with another serial# is this a crime that can get me in trouble since it is a serialized part?
    Many European nations serialize the barrel but nothing else. The US only mandates serial numbers on the frame/receiver. The barrel is a non-gun here.

You are seeing European COTS/.gov barrels on US COTS guns. Switch barrels all you like.

GunsCarsPlanes

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2021
    NWI
    Its a non issue....now come resale time it's a 50/50 if someone would try to get away with paying less since the numbers don't match.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory

So, you know Cletus also?

Vanderbilt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2022
    Nineveh
    Yep!!! What Cameramonkey says.
    Frame serial number is all that matters from a legal standpoint.

Where it can hurt you is if it is an old collectible… like a car then you need matching numbers for maximum return.
    ....yep, only an issue with older firearms for collectability.....I have a 1901 DA Colt that is a matching #'s pistol, also have a 1905 S&W, honestly have never really bothered to look....both were bought to shoot, next owner can worry about them being collectables....

Top Bottom