• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    I was reading the latest piece by Larry Corriea (Link) and I wanted to ask a question about one of his statements:
    Just make it so that your state’s concealed weapons laws trump the Federal Gun Free School Zones act.

So my question is does Indiana's laws trump the Federal Gun Free School Zones act?

What I'm specifically referring to is the portion of 35-47-9-1-2A that allow firearms on school property “if authorized by a school”.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I can't state any legal arguments to say 'yes', but it must, because my kids school has armed policemen there every day. The school system has "given them authorization" to be security at the school.

On the other side of that, I don't know if the federal law exempts uniformed LEO's. If it does, then my argument above is not helpful.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    The Fed law allows someone licensed to carry a handgun within that state, by that state (reciprocity does not apply in this case) to carry on school grounds IF the State allows it. Also, for the purposes of this Act, LEOSA does NOT provide a blanket exception; to be in compliance the LEO must be engaged in official duties; they cannot be an off-duty officer and be excepted. Don't know if this helps, but that's the way the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act was written.

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    The Fed law allows someone licensed to carry a handgun within that state, by that state (reciprocity does not apply in this case) to carry on school grounds IF the State allows it. Also, for the purposes of this Act, LEOSA does NOT provide a blanket exception; to be in compliance the LEO must be engaged in official duties; they cannot be an off-duty officer and be excepted. Don't know if this helps, but that's the way the Federal Gun Free School Zone Act was written.
    Thanks for the info. This is what I was looking for.

Top Bottom