• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I did a quick search here with the search function and have looked in the FAQ, but there doesn't seem to be any mention of the legality of blade lengths in Indiana regarding folding blades or fixed blades.

Does anyone have a reference or something concrete on the legal blade length? I'm looking in particular for the legal length of folding blade.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I recently asked a local cop and he said there is not a length limit in Indiana. I think most states you will be safe with a 3 inch blade or less.

You cannot always trust what a police officer tells you with respect to the law. Just check out the number of times people have run into police officers telling them that Indiana requires concealed carry.

Mind you, this time the police officer is right so this is just an advisory comment. And, most of the time, the police are at least reasonable conversant with the law and will not knowingly steer you wrong.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    You cannot always trust what a police officer tells you with respect to the law. Just check out the number of times people have run into police officers telling them that Indiana requires concealed carry.

Yep.
    Ain't that the truth... I'd trust any normal LTCH holder to know the law over any normal LEO.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    If you're in the market for a knife in the $80-100 range, don't make the choice a cold steel. From what I've seen, their products are typically cheaply made and pretty gimmicky. I can't see paying for one, personally I think you'd be better served by a Spyderco, Kershaw, CRKT, or a Benchmade in that price bracket. I also prefer fixed blades for knives with greater than 3.75" long blades, a 4" or 6" folder really makes no sense. That's just my :twocents:.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yeah i love that there is no blade restrictions here in Indiana...if you drive up to Chicago you are only allowed 2 1/2 inches! For all of us that carry knives that would just suck!

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're in the market for a knife in the $80-100 range, don't make the choice a cold steel. From what I've seen, their products are typically cheaply made and pretty gimmicky. I can't see paying for one, personally I think you'd be better served by a Spyderco, Kershaw, CRKT, or a Benchmade in that price bracket. I also prefer fixed blades for knives with greater than 3.75" long blades, a 4" or 6" folder really makes no sense. That's just my :twocents:.

run away.

what exactly are you looking for in the knife?

I'd really like to stay with this style of knife as its pretty comfortable to use and easy to present from practice.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    If your looking for a defencive blade, go fixed.

AG Russels STING (CRKT), SOG Pentagon, Boker Applegate boot, Tops Ranger Short-stop, Falkniven Garm:

SOG S14 PENTAGON BLACK KRATON HANDLE 9 3/4"
    CRKT 2020 A. G. RUSSELL STING
    TOPS RSS01 RANGER SHORT STOP FIXED BLADE
    FALLKNIVEN G1 GARM FIGHTER KYDEX SHEATH
    BOKER 546 BOOT KNIFE APPLEGATE-FAIRBAIRN COMBAT, 9" OVERALL

If you insist on a folder, your options are very limited. There are lots of knives out there that resemble the Ti light, but they are all automatic, and thus a no-no in IN. The Boker AFD fits the bill though, and there are a few other knives that would cross over easily with your training:
    BOKER 2100 AFD ADVANCED FOLDING DAGGER
    MCUSTA 14 BASIC FOLDER COCOBOLO HANDLES
    SOG 99014 TOPO MERIDIAN ASSISTED OPENING FOLDER

coletrane811

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Noblesville
    If you want a knife that's easily deployable (most are with a little practice anyway), then go with an Emerson CQC-7.

Once of the greatest designs of all time and will last you 20 years.

Heck, any Emerson will last you and most come with the option of a wave feature!

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm just saying I really like and can easily use that coldsteel ti-lite style of knife but maybe there is a better brand available in that style?

Top Bottom