• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I love folding knives that clip into the pocket for quick use, but my problem is that they are designed for the right handed use (and so are backwards for left use).

I am right handed, but pocket carry on the right often and want to have weapon retention strikes that come from the left.

Suggestions?

~$50 max, no serration.

Thanks!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    man. thats alot of req's! :)

first thing that pops into my head: FIXED BLADE!! but after that, we'll get serious and look at your options.

i carry two folders when i carry a gun (aw, hell, i carry atleast two folders all the time!! bwahhaahaha!!). both are carried tip up. the knife which is carried on my offside can be opened extremely fast with a flick of the wrist. to get this you have to get a bade with a bit of MASS. the spydercos dont do it, and most other of the lite bladed folders.

second option is a "waved" knife. the emersons are FAR out of your price range but the spyderco Delica and Endura with the waves can be found for around $50. the wave is a protrusion from the spine of the blade which catches the pocket and opens with the draw of the knife. you can mod most folders to have a wave. but its PATENTED. most people dont care if it just for a single persons use. but to mod something and sell it, or run around "look what i did!" is not really recommended.

whatever you choose, make sure you go with either a tip down knife (i hate em!) or a tip which put the blade TO THE REAR of the pocket, so you don't reach into your pocket and open the blade cutting yourself.

back to my carry set up. from a weapon ret action: clamp gun/attackers hand with RIGHT hand, bend at the knees and transfer weight to whatever place it should be transfered to. left hand draws knife and flicks it open using inertia and gravity. grip in reverse grip and come across the body delivering stabs downward into the attackers forearms/shoulder/whatever i can punch holes into until they release the weapon and i can create space.

repeat as needed.

lawrra

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Huntington
    I have a Kershaw Leek (assisted opening) that I clip on my pocket, tip up. The clip can be repositioned for tip down or tip up (tip down from the factory). [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Kershaw-Onion-Folding-Knife-Speed/dp/B0009VC9Y0]Amazon.com: Kershaw Ken Onion Leek Folding Knife with Speed Safe: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

I've had this knife for at least 6 years and haven't had any problems.

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    Techres,

Like you, I too carry on the right and use a defensive knife in left front pocket. I currently carry the Cold Steel Recon 1 Tanto. I have chosen both the tanto blade as well as half serration, however they come in spear point as well (as seen below) the cost may be about 10-15 more than you're looking at currently, but I cannot say enough about the knife, it's wonderful and with it's reversible pocket clip, it's perfect for left handed carry.

coldsteel_recon1.jpg

Oh and it opens easy with either a flick of the wrist or using the oversized finger assist.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Techres,

I am left handed and have had some trouble over the years finding a lefty knife, but they are available. Also, it is possible to use a right- handed knife in your left pocket, but it requires some work and may not be ideal. It may be difficult for you because you are learning to use a knife backwards and you are doing it with the hand that presumably has less skill. However, I've learned to use a right-knife in my left-hand. I guess my point is that if you find a right-knife that you really like, don't rule it out. You may be a heck of a lot smoother than you realize.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    This is not what you are going to want to hear but.....after exhaustive testing over the years looking for a reliable option for a knife to use for weapon retention I have only found one knife, the Emerson Combat Karambit worn reaction side, reverse grip. Here are some of the reasons why.

First of all it is a folder, this allows it to be carried in the pocket, in plain sight, below the waist. The problem with something in the waistband is that during a confrontation you are likely to be be bent over at the waist is lots of situations. This is the same reason that I wore my primary and secondary reload horizontally on my belt when I was on patrol.

The Emerson can be drawn fluidly even from a seated position.

Since you specifically say it is for weapon retention, imagine this. You are in an altercation in a low light area, or blood is in your eyes. The BG is trying to get your gun. With the Emerson in the reverse grip and using body mapping (the skill of knowing where the vital areas of your attacker is based on the part of his body you are in contact with) all your inverted cuts will come up and into his groin and under his arms. This will allow you to cut him off of you with out overextending yourself or having to use intentional targeting.

The best thing about the Emerson IMHO is that because of the finger ring you can retain it even when fireing your pistol with a two handed grip. Try this with other knives.

Unlike most other knives you will find, the Emerson also has a trainer available. This will allow you to actually see when you can do under stress instead wondering like lots of other folks.- George

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Any reason for the Tanto tip over the spear? My preference is cosmetic and wonder if there is a functional advantage for the tanto.

the difference between a tanto and a drop point is huge.

tantos are made to penetrate with a stronger tip. but you get two straight edges. not to great for some tasks. but the tip strength on a typical, american tanto knife is the biggest FUNCTIONAL draw.

now.... i think it might be moot when talking about "tip strength" and such on lower end knives without the proper design and enactment.

and i won't flip a DIME to Cold Steal.:ar15:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    second option is a "waved" knife. the emersons are FAR out of your price range but the spyderco Delica and Endura with the waves can be found for around $50. the wave is a protrusion from the spine of the blade which catches the pocket and opens with the draw of the knife.

My primary EDC is a waved Endura (larger) and I love it. The smaller Delica would be ideal for your use and price range. The pocket clip can be arranged righty, lefty, tip up, tip down.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xGiz1eWNuY]YouTube - Spyderco Delica Wave - silveiraknives.net[/ame]

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    spydies are good knives. i have had more than a few.... i like the more solid feel of the g10/liners and steel framed knives than the molded plastic ones. though all the ones i have had have been the plastic, but one! hahahhaaa!!!

i broke two natives doing things which they weren't designed for, so no knock on spyderco there. but both things i was trying to do with the spydies were done directly after with knives with more solid components inthe handle deptment.

spyderco using the Wave (LEGALLY, **** you copycats) was an EXCELLENT move for them.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would prefer a fixed blade attached to the belt at the 8 o'clock position for quick pull and use, but that is not practical in the retail world.

Thanks for the ideas, it has given me some good leads!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Look around. A number of models have thumb studs that are ambidextrous or can be reversed (and of course holes in the blade are ambidextrous) and have clips that are screwed on and can be reversed. Email to some of the top companies' customer service should help to quickly identify models.

Top Bottom