• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Off road lights belong off road. But it does seem that in the last couple months I have seen more vehicles using some kind of small LED light bar as extra lighting on the street. I agree it is way too much with oncoming traffic. I saw a pickup a few days ago that had a light bar attached to the front bumper above his winch being used on the street.
    On a similar note, when people swap out a standard headlight bulb with an LED replacement it too can be a problem. When installing an LED replacement bulb there is a procedure to properly re-aim the beams.
    Here in the good ol USA, the DOT reg's require 10% of projected light to shine upward to illuminate/reflect onto street signs. So, since the LED projects with a wider & brighter beam improper adjustment can be a real problem.

Yep, it should be a thousand dollar fine to use them without proper alignment...
    You tend not to see this in states where you can get inspection tickets...

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    [/B]

Yep, it should be a thousand dollar fine to use them without proper alignment...
    You tend not to see this in states where you can get inspection tickets...

Many moons ago I lived in a town that saw ticket income as a huge plus for the city budget. Of the many non-issues they used to ticket for was using foglights when it wasn't foggy. Foglights of that era on mass produced passenger vehicles were nothing more than slightly brighter parking lights but to this particular town they were a free $75 in the city coffers. Proper focus of any lighting on the vehicle is the key but with a large chunk of the current driving population most likely not even able to check their own oil this is asking too much.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Back in the day, I recall IMPD (IPD at the time) actually measuring bumper heights on "lowriders" as a way to curtail all the cruising, parking, street parties, etc...

No reason why local LEO couldn't do the same for light bars and the like.

Heck, start enforcing the super-bright and pulsing lights on motorcycles. Those are freaking dangerous. I'd get a ticket in a heartbeat if I did that on my truck.

There are existing codes for all of this. Just needs enforced.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Firstly, as a 25 year-old reading this thread, this reminds me of sitting around the woodstove at the local store and listening to all the old men as they drank their coffee and complained about "the damn kids these days". No offense intended, it just made me chuckle.:oldwise:

Secondly, being a young Greenetuckian and of the redneck/hick persuasion, I loved lighting up my truck. The bigger the light bar, the more awesome you are. However, even I get a little steamed when I see someone driving around in daddy's money (not being a hater, I just know most of them) with a light bar on going down the road. Even more so now that I'm driving an actual car that sits much lower to the ground. I'm finding that the younger they are, the worse they are; my age group does it but will usually kill the LEDs as soon as they see someone oncoming, the ones that are high-school-aged nowadays either don't understand or (more likely) don't care about the danger they're causing so long as they can light up the night with their awesomeness.

When it comes to HID/LED headlights, I'm a huge fan. Not only because of aesthetics, but because they actually give me a clearer view ahead. I wanted them so badly on my old truck. I could have gotten the bulbs and installed the ballasts but without the correct housing it would have been unsafe. Since I couldn't afford the entire, proper setup, I never got them. My car has them from the factory and I do love them. I also keep my fog lights on full time, mainly because I like the way the car looks with all the lights on, but also so people know I have the low beams on. I've also made it a habit to look for fog lights before flashing someone who I think is bright-lighting me for reasons that were listed upthread.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Firstly, as a 25 year-old reading this thread, this reminds me of sitting around the woodstove at the local store and listening to all the old men as they drank their coffee and complained about "the damn kids these days". No offense intended, it just made me chuckle.:oldwise:

Secondly, being a young Greenetuckian and of the redneck/hick persuasion, I loved lighting up my truck. The bigger the light bar, the more awesome you are. However, even I get a little steamed when I see someone driving around in daddy's money (not being a hater, I just know most of them) with a light bar on going down the road. Even more so now that I'm driving an actual car that sits much lower to the ground. I'm finding that the younger they are, the worse they are; my age group does it but will usually kill the LEDs as soon as they see someone oncoming, the ones that are high-school-aged nowadays either don't understand or (more likely) don't care about the danger they're causing so long as they can light up the night with their awesomeness.

When it comes to HID/LED headlights, I'm a huge fan. Not only because of aesthetics, but because they actually give me a clearer view ahead. I wanted them so badly on my old truck. I could have gotten the bulbs and installed the ballasts but without the correct housing it would have been unsafe. Since I couldn't afford the entire, proper setup, I never got them. My car has them from the factory and I do love them. I also keep my fog lights on full time, mainly because I like the way the car looks with all the lights on, but also so people know I have the low beams on. I've also made it a habit to look for fog lights before flashing someone who I think is bright-lighting me for reasons that were listed upthread.

Guilty.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    "I like blinding other people on the road, 'cause it makes my car look cool"

Probably the same people that run train horns, trash-can mufflers (braaaap), "roll coal", and have bass turned up to 11.

I have learned, though, that being inconsiderate isn't just a young man's game. Lots of old farts run their high beams during the day for "safety".

Back on the topic of LED/HID or whatever lights. I like them as a driver, and hate them on anyone else's cars. Too retina-burning bright. Just a quick blip completely washing out my night vision for several minutes. As an off-roader, I actually prefer much dimmer lights at night. Saves the night vision a ton. When night wheeling, I run a pair of weak old halogens pointed down at out, and no headlights. I can see the trail just fine, and am not blind when I look anywhere but forward.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My new LED headights and LED foglights. The KC driving lights are LED as well.

And I adjusted them, and won’t blind anyone.

pPDDEUA.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Many moons ago I lived in a town that saw ticket income as a huge plus for the city budget. Of the many non-issues they used to ticket for was using foglights when it wasn't foggy. Foglights of that era on mass produced passenger vehicles were nothing more than slightly brighter parking lights but to this particular town they were a free $75 in the city coffers. Proper focus of any lighting on the vehicle is the key but with a large chunk of the current driving population most likely not even able to check their own oil this is asking too much.

That sounds like my dream town!!!

[video=youtube;D-wSRYbWJvU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-wSRYbWJvU[/video]

I also keep my fog lights on full time, mainly because I like the way the car looks with all the lights on, but also so people know I have the low beams on. I've also made it a habit to look for fog lights before flashing someone who I think is bright-lighting me for reasons that were listed upthread.

But, but, you're inside the car so you don't get to appreciate it.

We're outside the car and just point out another fool that doesn't know what fog lamps are actually for.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN

Doesn't it mean the larger the lift, tires, and lights the smaller the junk?

Top Bottom