• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    As a relative noob to reloading, I have only used three different powders thus far. I often set up my press for a single caliber and just reload in spurts, as I have time. Sometimes an hour, sometimes only 10 -15 minutes. In between sessions, I just leave the press set up and come back when I can. Sometimes that's days or weeks later.

Imagine my surprise seeing this warning as I was on Hodgdon's reloading data site:

"Powder left in the reloader's powder measure hoppers for extended periods, overnight or several days, should be avoided. Powder needs to be stored in original containers ONLY, when not in use. Numerous modern smokeless powders are double base in construction, containing both Nitrocellulose and Nitroglycerine."

Yikes! I have only emptied my powder measure if I'm switching to a different powder. Otherwise, I just keep it at least 1/2 full while I'm reloading. Is this simply a CYA statement drafted by Hodgdon's lawyers, or is leaving powder in the powder measure for days/weeks/months a really bad idea?

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    You should have done a poll..

This is mostly a matter of owner likes..

I empty my powder measure after EACH loading session.--Right back into the ONE powder container on my bench, that it came out of.

With that said, I have been to several other handloader's home/place of business, and saw powder measures full of powder.

For ME it is just part of the process of 'Clean Up' after loading a batch, to be all set for the next session...Bill.

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I don't know if what I do is right or wrong, but I will leave my powder in the hopper when I'm doing a run as I usually will work on it when I can. But I typically get all the rounds loaded in about 3-4 days. I don't leave them in the hopper for long periods of time. When I'm done reloading, i return the powder to the original container. Also, i label the hopper if i'm doing the reloading over more than one session.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Guilty of leaving it in the hopper. I have different powder measures for every caliber and I just leave it in and top off with new powder as needed. I could make all kinds of justifications for doing so (i.e., I load in a temp and humidity controlled room, so I'm not concerned about my powder collecting moisture; I don't want any stray flakes from a previous powder to contaminate a new caliber; I want my drops to be as consistent as possible so I don't like changing the dispensing screw; etc.) but really I just don't consider it important to empty the measures after every session.

trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I always empty the powder measure back into it's container when I'm done for that day and stick a dryer sheet back in the hopper even if I plan to use the same powder the next day. I look at it this way, I'm old and I'll be dead soon enough and no one would really know what that powder was otherwise.

I'd roll over in my grave if they tossed the contents of a full powder measure out these days.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I think it depends on your habits. In the progressive shotshell press, I used to leave it set up with powder in it. Same press, same powder, shot, wads bolted to the same bench fo at least 6 years. I shot 200-300 shells a week, more if there was a weekend event. I never worried about forgeting what powder was in the tube (I only used one powder) and it did not stay that long. I would pull a pillow case over the press when I was done. It was a rare week that I did not pull the pillow case off and pump out several hundred shells. I think that situation was fine.

If I was shooting hundreds of .45 a week, using the same powder and charge, and loading every week, leaving the press set up with powder in it would not bother me.

I did not do that with most metallic cartridges, where multiple powders were used for multiple cartridges. I was at a match in Ft Wayne where a man blew an AR into multiple pieces because 296 pistol powder was confused with 748 rifle powder. Especially if you do not load that often, it is too easy to forget. If I set up and load 1000 .38 spl one after noon, I may not need more for 6 months. It would be too easy to forget and the powder would be subject to too many environmental variables. I would put that powder away after the loading session.

Whip_McCord

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    NWI
    Some of the older plastic tubes they used for powder measures used to have some deterioration and warping from leaving powder in there for long periods of time. This may not be the case now. If you do leave powder in the measure, make sure it is in the dark. Either close a door or cover with something light proof. Light is very bad for the powder. If you're loading area has high humidity, it would be best to remove the powder.

d30carls

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Cicero, IN
    i leave mine in also but I only buy one powder thus far I bought it and have really liked it have not had any trouble finding at any one gun show so I stay with it but i have one for my rifle and another for my pistol rounds also make sure I always take my first shot of powder and throw it back in the hopper bc it will settle from the ground shaking as you walk through the room my 223 i use 22 grains and it dropps very consistently but it is nothing for me to have 25-26 grains on the first drop after letting it sit even just a couple hours at least weigh your first load as I hope every one does

N8RV

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 8, 2012
    Peoria
    Thanks for all of the input. I adopted an idea that I stole from another reloader to ID the powder left in a measure -- I cut the top off of a 1-lb powder container of the same powder and invert it over the powder measure. Fits well, protects the powder from light, and positively IDs which powder is in it.

I guess when I read "contains nitrocellulose and nitroglycerine" in the warning statement, I envisioned powder measures blowing up all over the place.

Guess I won't lose any sleep over it.

Top Bottom