• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    So I read where the EPA has shut down the only lead smelting plant left in the USA. I Realize that most of the lead used in industry is recycled, but this would have to have an impact on lead ammo. Only a matter of time, IMO, before they ban the sale of lead bullets and shot altogether. Maybe this has at least something to do with people hoarding .22lr.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No, it's just an end-around "benefit" of gun control that is obtained. Guns are worthless without ammunition. Can't get the guns, take away the ammo. Pretty old story. Thankfully, technology will solve this issue. It'll just be pricey. They already have sintered copper "lead free" bullets. Getting them to have the same properties and weight of lead is the trick. I'm thinking a heavy polymer isn't too far off in the future now that they've created the market.....

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    How much "virgin" lead from that smelter did American ammo manufacturers use?

...and I'm sure glad someone's finally gotten around to this topic.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Admittedly I don't know the answer to the question of where most US ammo plants get their lead. I seem to remember that 80-90% of lead used in US manufacturing comes from recycling, primarily car batteries. If the current admin has its way, the EPA will ban the sale of, or possibly the use of, any ammo containing lead. In that case, lead supply won't matter. My takeaway is that some ammonia about to get more expensive to manufacture.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    If people were paying attention, not too long ago there was an attempt at taking lead ammo off the shelves by the EPA, but apparently they EPA lacks the authority to reach into sporting arms ammunition. Im not saying it cant happen, but there is a lot of red tape to get through before it can. If it were that simple, Obama would have already hit that button.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There will always be a demand for lead here in this country, imported lead will just take the place of domestic, just like everything else in the economy.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    A lot of lead is imported from the likes of china to make car batteries. The majority of ammo, 70-80% is the guesstimate, is made from recycled lead from those batteries.

Prices may jump, but not significantly. IMO.

fuddus99

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Lawrence, IN
    Plenty of lead to go around. Just one less place that'll be creating it. Car batteries (and other batteries), old TVs, Monitors, and a helluva lot of other electronics use lead that will ultimately end up being recycled.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Agree with most all comments so far, but I still think the EPA will try to ban shooting lead bullets or shot outdoors, citing harm to the environment. ie the squirrels might eat some and get lead poisoning, or it will get into lakes and streams. This is no more far-fetched than the other crap they pull.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A lot of lead is imported from the likes of china to make car batteries. The majority of ammo, 70-80% is the guesstimate, is made from recycled lead from those batteries.

Prices may jump, but not significantly. IMO.
    This has been brought up many times, and I think the percentage if higher than 80% even. General consensus was that the only reason this would cause a significant price rise was if it caused people to panic.

I'm surprised as well the EPA hasn't tried harder to ban lead in bullets.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I also expect the EPA to ban the use of lead ammo. I just hope we can find a substitute, since its unrealistic to expect someone to be on our side in government, top stop it from happening in the first place.
    It just gets worse and worse, every year...

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    The EPA is prohibited from regulating lead in bullets. Plus, in the two most recent lawsuits brought to try to force the EPA to regulate lead ammo, the EPA has sided with the NRA is resisting these demands. That is the EPA itself knows it doesn't have the power to regulate lead bullets, but gun control groups keep suing to try to force them to do so, and so far the lawsuits keep getting dismissed.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    BrewerGeorge that's good news and I'm glad to hear it. However, there are many things I thought I'd never see happen in this country that are happening now.

Top Bottom