• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

He gave this person way more warning, and time than I would have. This person was literally chasing him around his car, and the LEO kept warning.

How much does an officer have to warn a person before they are allowed to act?

Is there a certain criteria?

Come to find out later it was an airsoft gun.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Ugh, that's a really hard one. Do you really, really wanna bet your life on some chick's word that it's not a real gun? Are you *really* sure that pop you heard was an airsoft gun? Can you even tell under full adrenaline dump? Bet your life on that?

Nevertheless, this officer does recognize the subsequent shots as airsoft, and refrains from turning the guy into swiss cheese on the ground. He also does an incredibly smart thing: Holster his gun in a retention holster before going in to grab the guy. Which immediately pays off when the guy tries to fight him for it.

Crazy Guy fights remarkably hard for a dude with several HSTs in him. He survived, too, probably by luck of shot placement more than anything. I can't criticize anything here, in fact I think the police officer took some remarkable gambles with his own life for the sake of this dude.

TheGrumpyGuy

Get off my lawn!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    SE Indy

He gave this person way more warning, and time than I would have. This person was literally chasing him around his car, and the LEO kept warning.

How much does an officer have to warn a person before they are allowed to act?

Is there a certain criteria?

Come to find out later it was an airsoft gun.

This wasn't an airsoft, but LEO still didn't shoot until way past when I would have

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Officers are waiting too long because they get crucified by society and prosectuted for 100% justified actions.
    That is what I think is going on, and it may and probably is costing them their lived, or serious injury.

Is that the officers discretion, or is it department training?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    That is what I think is going on, and it may and probably is costing them their lived, or serious injury.

Is that the officers discretion, or is it department training?
    Officers are trained to use time, distance, and barriers to "deescalate" a situation so that they don't have to use physical or deadly force. But officers are hesitating and not using any type of force because they are fearful of being prosecuted for their justified actions.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Getting tired of the phrase, "Mental Health Crisis." The woman is screaming, don't kill him, he needs to be in a mental hospital, etc. Well fine then, glad we reached consensus on that. Get his azz committed, so we won't have to deal with him.

It seems like for every person not capable of living safely in society...someone is living with them, enabling them to, well, live in society. It just doesn't seem to be working very well.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    ...and a leather holster with a thumb snap... :thumbsup:
    Or a leather holster with a bungee. I swear to God I saw this in Lowes one day. Older dude. J frame in a leather clip holster clipped to his pocket. His retention was a 1/8" bungee. :facepalm:

I'm not gonna lie. For a split second I wanted to threaten him just to see how long it took him to clear that monstrosity from the holster. As well as HOW he would clear it. There was no obvious way he could quickly draw one handed. And I'll bet that thing hasnt been out of the holster in over a year.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Getting tired of the phrase, "Mental Health Crisis." The woman is screaming, don't kill him, he needs to be in a mental hospital, etc. Well fine then, glad we reached consensus on that. Get his azz committed, so we won't have to deal with him.

It seems like for every person not capable of living safely in society...someone is living with them, enabling them to, well, live in society. It just doesn't seem to be working very well.
    It’s a tough situation. Most of the time an officer can tell pretty quickly they’re dealing with someone in mental health crisis. Getting them to the hospital for help is ideal, but that person is still a threat until then. If the person is waving a gun and won’t put it down, how do the police get that person help? There are no magic words.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

This was fast and came out if nowhere.
    How do you train for something like this attack?

Out of the other elevator. What an incredible knife ambush. He doesn't even process that he actually got stabbed for several seconds. The guy could have latched on and dug a hole under that armor for five or six stabs before someone finally shot him off. Another cop almost ate it because he went for the taser first.

That's a worst case ambush and the only reason they survived is because they had more dudes than he could stab.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Officers are waiting too long because they get crucified by society and prosectuted for 100% justified actions.
    And I’ll bet this is the guy they were going up to confront. Imagine if they had been 30 seconds faster? They’d have missed him by passing in the elevators.

Who knows how many innocents he would have stabbed.

Top Bottom