• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    So, I happened to have been talked into flying to Las Vegas for 5 days this Thursday for a birthday of a loved one. I have been reading up on their gun laws. It appears they do not honor Indiana or Utah as for July 2009. However, I have read that it is an open carry state but if you open carry in Clark county you have to register your fire arm. Assuming all of what I read means I will not be taking my gun with :noway:. So, I come to ingo, asking the gun gurus, have I maybe missed any loop hole or anything that would allow me to talk my life long compainion with me ( My gun ) :dunno: ?

I assume I am SOL and will most likey leave it at home. Any other ideas of a self defense item I should take or any advice is much appriciated. I'm kind of just a gun gun, I dont really own a tatical folder or any other item for self defense. Thanks in advance for your constructive replies :popcorn:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I went to Las Vegas a year ago. My S&W 442 was properly in my checked baggage both ways. I don't know what the laws in Nevada are, but my 442 was in my right front pants pocket for a week, totally undetected.

I am not giving advice, just stating the facts...

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sorry, I can't help you out on their laws. However, I can make you feel better.

If you like breakfast, and I mean real breakfast, not the yogurt and fruit cup kind; then get off the strip and find a Blueberry Hill Restaurant. It's more of a place that locals visit. I think they have about seven of them around town.

Good food, great prices, and the coffee is the best in town, provided you aren't looking for one of those $5.00 a cup yuppie places.

Enjoy and have fun.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    While NV is an open carry state, my understanding is that if you do this in Vegas, specifically on the strip or Fremont St areas, you will be hassled & more than likely, arrested. You can have a loaded gun in your vehicle, @ least, but not in North Las Vegas or Boulder City. If you frequent NV, you could get the NV license. You will need to take the gun you want to have on your permit, take a class from an instructor in the county (Clark) that you will be getting the license through, and (again in Clark Co.) register (I believe) your gun(s) w/ the Metro PD (even if you don't have to get a 'blue card', the guns are essentially registered as they're listed on the permit, I believe). It'll cost you a couple hundred $$ & will take a few months to get the license in the mail.
    The last time I was in Vegas, they honored my UT CFP so I didn't have to mess w/ the NV license & Clark Co. registration.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    The last time I was in Vegas, they honored my UT CFP so I didn't have to mess w/ the NV license & Clark Co. registration.

Yup, UT and good to go. Otherwise, I would not bother, other than my hotel room.

Side note, hit the pawn shops, lots of guns for sale, rifles, old guns, new guns, duck calls, they pawn everything!! Fun shopping, if you have the extra time.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    Sorry, I wasnt clear on the UT CFP. NV has stopped recognizing the UT & FL licenses! (UT becasue there is no shooting required to obtain CFP & FL because they went from a 5 yr license to a 7 yr license.)
    You can have the gun in your car (outside of NLV & Boulder City) , and open carry (outside of the touristy areas of LV), but you cant carry concealed in NV on the UT of FL permits. Just FYI.

Yup, UT and good to go. Otherwise, I would not bother, other than my hotel room.

Side note, hit the pawn shops, lots of guns for sale, rifles, old guns, new guns, duck calls, they pawn everything!! Fun shopping, if you have the extra time.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Sorry, I wasnt clear on the UT CFP. NV has stopped recognizing the UT & FL licenses! (UT becasue there is no shooting required to obtain CFP & FL because they went from a 5 yr license to a 7 yr license.)
    You can have the gun in your car (outside of NLV & Boulder City) , and open carry (outside of the touristy areas of LV), but you cant carry concealed in NV on the UT of FL permits. Just FYI.

I'll be there in a few weeks, good info to know. I'll try and find out what is legal, I go there often enough (Customer in RENO) to make it worthwhile.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I still don't know what to do guys. I know that I cannot legally carry it on my person loaded. But it would still be a comfort to have in the hotel room at night. Would taking from the airport to residence ( hotel room) and vice versa be legal? Found a tatical folder for on the street

Top Bottom