• ...and so much more!
  • henry0reilly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 12, 2009
    Montgomery County
    laptop question - answered thanks

We had to order a replacement power source for the laptop. The one Amazon sent has the same voltage output 19v but the original says 2.37A output and the replacement says 3.42A

Is it safe to use the new one?

Thank you so much. I was pretty sure it was ok but wanted another opinion.

Last edited:

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    No problem. The amp rating is what the power supply is capable of providing. Your laptop won't use more than it needs just because the power supply is "bigger".
    Voltage is another matter, it needs to match, but the amperage rating can be higher with no issues.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    epeery is right.
    The voltage rating is what it puts out.
    The amp rating is what it's capable of, the maximum rating.

The original could supply up to 2.37 amps.
    Your replacement could supply up to 3.42 amps.

You would have a problem is the new supply had a lower amp rating.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. you are good.

Dell laptops for example. They all use the same connector and voltage (well, except for the new super small ones) We would keep a 350w supply on our service bench because it would run any laptop (at that time) no matter if it was a slow basic laptop (used 60w) or a huge desktop replacement powerhouse (used the 350w).

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I agree with that has already been said... But, FWIW, I've had one of the cheapo replacements just about start a fire once despite being the proper size. I was using the laptop in bed and the power supply was on a pillow next me. Some period of time later that power supply decided to get quite hot and that pillow ended up a bit brown (as did my pants).

Since then, only OEM replacements for me. At least in Dell (being that I'm waist deep in Dell laptops around here), you can pretty much take your pick of the litter for about $20 on eBay since, as stated previously, they've used the same voltage and connector since time began. Always go as big as you can find/afford on amperage as long as you're above the minimum. Most of the time I see them rated in watts, so, same theory applies.

Also, at least in Dell, they're prone to eventually making a buzzing/beeping noise when the caps start to fail. If that happens, clip the cord off and toss it. Out of probably 10 of them in the house, I've only had one do it, but I don't take any chances anymore.

Top Bottom