• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    It is now for sure that the WI State Senate will remain in the control of the GOP following shameful recount nonsense forced by national big labor. The nation's largest unions combined to spend over $30 million dollars on TV advertising, in a fight that public workers in WI said must be won at all costs.

They lost.

The people of WI spoke, the GOP took control and began doing exactly what they said they would do during the election cycle, and the Democrats fled the state when forced to vote on reforms mandated by the people of their state. Not satisfied with that tactic, they brought in national labor money and paid for recount votes. They claimed the people of WI had been duped in the elections and now understood their mistake.

The GOP won again.

It's time for Republicans nationwide to seize the mandate that they have been given by the people and LEAD. It's ok for us to bash liberal nonsense...the American people have soundly rejected it! We've been told for so long that only the Democrats can complain in the media and get away with it that it seems GOP politicians have put a muzzle on themselves.

It's time to make some noise. We're winning. The overwhelming majority of Americans want what we're offering. All we have to do now is understand how to use the mandate.

Last edited:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I was happy to see the Dems only picked up 2 seats. It would be great if they lost the next 2 that are up for election in a few weeks or so.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Why are they waiting to hold the recall elections on the Democrats? Why didn't they hold them all at the same time? It seems like a waste of money to me.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    47   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    Why are they waiting to hold the recall elections on the Democrats? Why didn't they hold them all at the same time? It seems like a waste of money to me.

Some arcane state law. The Repubs wanted to do them all at the same time, but couldn't get it done.

I was up there all of last week, the TV ads run by the Labor Unions were sickening. It was just practice for next year.

I'm glad the Conservatives won this round.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    It might not be a total loss, if they can swing a couple republicans their way it might turn out in their favor.

Kind of like senator Lugar.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    ... It's time for Republicans nationwide to seize the mandate that they have been given by the people and LEAD. It's ok for us to bash liberal nonsense...the American people have soundly rejected it! We've been told for so long that only the Democrats can complain in the media and get away with it that it seems GOP politicians have put a muzzle on themselves.

It's time to make some noise. We're winning. The overwhelming majority of Americans want what we're offering. All we have to do now is understand how to use the mandate.
    "Mandate?" Based upon recent polls, most Americans seem to disagree with your statement.

http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2011/images/08/09/poll.aug10.pdf

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    That was a CNN poll. Any other polls coroborating those stats?

Take your pick. There is no mandate.

Rasmussen, 8 August - Republicans 41%, Democrats 39%
    Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reports™

Gallup, 10 August - 25% support for Tea Party
    Gallup.Com - Daily News, Polls, Public Opinion on Government, Politics, Economics, Management

CBS, 4 August - 72% disapprove of Republican Congress
    Poll: Disapproval of Congress hits all-time high - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

USA Today, 9 August - Voters aren't happy with anyone.
    Poll: Will anti-Congress mood cause another 'wave' election? - USATODAY.com

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    It is now for sure that the WI State Senate will remain in the control of the GOP following shameful recount nonsense forced by national big labor. The nation's largest unions combined to spend over $30 million dollars on TV advertising, in a fight that public workers in WI said must be won at all costs.

They lost.

The people of WI spoke, the GOP took control and began doing exactly what they said they would do during the election cycle, and the Democrats fled the state when forced to vote on reforms mandated by the people of their state. Not satisfied with that tactic, they brought in national labor money and paid for recount votes. They claimed the people of WI had been duped in the elections and now understood their mistake.

The GOP won again.

It's time for Republicans nationwide to seize the mandate that they have been given by the people and LEAD. It's ok for us to bash liberal nonsense...the American people have soundly rejected it! We've been told for so long that only the Democrats can complain in the media and get away with it that it seems GOP politicians have put a muzzle on themselves.

I never put any stock in these polls, or even the current public opinion. People, for the most part are stupid and have extremely short memories. It's played out time and time again these days.

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    ... The overwhelming majority of Americans want what we're offering.

Nonsense. Only about half of the eligible voters ever go to the polls. Of those who do vote, only about half are Republicans. The looney side of the Republican Party (The Tea Partiers that even John McCain acknowledged caused the financial downgrade.) is actually a very small segment of overall Republicans.

The overwhelming majority of Americans (about 75%) think the Republicans are full of male meadow muffins.

All we have to do now is understand how to use the mandate.

No, all you have to do now is understand what a mandate is. Half of Americans would be just as happy if we cancelled all elections and left the seats empty. A quarter are Democrats. Like it or not, you really have no mandate.

I never put any stock in these polls, or even the current public opinion.

In other words they tend not to say what you want them to.

People, for the most part are stupid and have extremely short memories. It's played out time and time again these days.

Couldn't agree more. Look at the way the INGO Ditto Heads have blamed the Democrats for the downgrade. It's hardly been two weeks since the Republican leadership took an agreement they'd carved out between them and the Democrats to the Tea Partiers, who chose to torpedo the economy yet again. You'd think people would be able to remember at least that long.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Nonsense. Only about half of the eligible voters ever go to the polls. Of those who do vote, only about half are Republicans. The looney side of the Republican Party (The Tea Partiers that even John McCain acknowledged caused the financial downgrade.) is actually a very small segment of overall Republicans.

The overwhelming majority of Americans (about 75%) think the Republicans are full of male meadow muffins.

No, all you have to do now is understand what a mandate is. Half of Americans would be just as happy if we cancelled all elections and left the seats empty. A quarter are Democrats. Like it or not, you really have no mandate.

Couldn't agree more. Look at the way the INGO Ditto Heads have blamed the Democrats for the downgrade. It's hardly been two weeks since the Republican leadership took an agreement they'd carved out between them and the Democrats to the Tea Partiers, who chose to torpedo the economy yet again. You'd think people would be able to remember at least that long.

Oh yeah, John McCain.... well, if he says it, it must be true.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the economy would be in great shape if it wasn't for the Tea Party. If we would've got what the President wanted originally, a clean debt ceiling hike, unemployment would be at 5% right now. You sir.... are a genius!:rolleyes:

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    Oh yeah, John McCain.... well, if he says it, it must be true.... :rolleyes:

Yeah, the economy would be in great shape if it wasn't for the Tea Party. If we would've got what the President wanted originally, a clean debt ceiling hike, unemployment would be at 5% right now. You sir.... are a genius!:rolleyes:

Since I'm not a Democrat I'll be more than happy to say that they inhale sharply through pursed lips just as much as the Republicans. Oh, and 5%? You made that up. Right then.

John McCain was the Republican choice for President. Remember that? Now you're suggesting he's a liar. Not that I won't agree. He has a history of selling his influence for cash and vacations so he can't possibly be all that honest.

Fact is the guy from Standard and Poor's who was responsible for the downgrade stated repeatedly that it was the last minute passage of the debt ceiling hike that pushed them over the edge. Equally, it is a fact that the Dems and Repubs had an agreement that the Tea Partiers torpedoed.

McCain wasn't wrong on this one. By the way, he did state that they had to do it. They'd been elected on a "total standstill" platform, so to compromise would have made them liars rather than simply idiots.

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Since I'm not a Democrat I'll be more than happy to say that they inhale sharply through pursed lips just as much as the Republicans. Oh, and 5%? You made that up. Right then.
    Of course I made up the 5% number. It's called sarcasm. The fact is, the President asked for a clean debt ceiling hike with no cuts a few months ago and submitted a budget to Congress earlier in the year that would've added $10T to the deficit over 10 years. Not to mention the HUGE increase in spending since he's been in office. Repubs added WAY to much to the debt and deficit when they were in charge, but it was child's play compared to what's been done in the past two years.

John McCain was the Republican choice for President. Remember that? Now you're suggesting he's a liar. Not that I won't agree. He has a history of selling his influence for cash and vacations so he can't possibly be all that honest.
    Not sure about a liar, but I don't really trust John McCain. He goes with whichever way the wind is blowing. He always tried to be Mr. Maverick play nice with the democrats, then in 2008 all of the sudden he's Mr. Conservative. I don't put much stock in anything he says.

Fact is the guy from Standard and Poor's who was responsible for the downgrade stated repeatedly that it was the last minute passage of the debt ceiling hike that pushed them over the edge. Equally, it is a fact that the Dems and Repubs had an agreement that the Tea Partiers torpedoed.
    Can you post any links that show the details of this agreement that show that it was more substantial than was eventually passed? I heard numbers thrown around of $4T in cuts/taxes, but I never heard of ANY agreement based on those numbers.

McCain wasn't wrong on this one. By the way, he did state that they had to do it. They'd been elected on a "total standstill" platform, so to compromise would have made them liars rather than simply idiots.

Above^

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy

Kind of hard to quote and respond when you do it that way. So let me just say, re red comment:

#1 - Relevance? None really. Though I will point out that the crash happened under Bush, precipitated by Banking Deregulation. Obama's just trying to dig us out from under a problem caused by the Republicans (not without the help of the Democrats). You still can't get under my skin with anti-Democrat comments. Generally I do not disagree, I'm just willing to be honest about both parties, unlike many.

#2 - He chronicled a time line that was openly reported. How could he screw that up? Deny him all you want, what he said was widely publicized and not denied by either side.

#3 - No, and not the point. The Dems and Repubs came to an agreement. The Tea Partiers shot it down. (And let's not forget that they absolutely refuse to budge on "Defense" even though two of our middle-eastern wars have added over a trillion dollars to the national debt all by themselves.) John Chambers repeatedly stated that the delay, clearly caused by the Tea Partiers, was what pushed S&P over the edge. Doesn't matter what the initial agreement was, the Tea Partiers' action was what prompted the downgrade.

By the way, Jake46184, sorry about the threadjack. It would seem that ryknoll3 wants to argue about a parenthetical comment rather than the main topic. How can I not accommodate him? Feel free to return to the main point about mandates, or the lack thereof. I'll play.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky

Wrong, I don't trust any polls no matter if they say something I tend to agree with or not.

And I certainly don't just blame the Democrats, totally silly to put faith in someone based on the label they wear! I think I'm far more skeptical of ALL politicians than you give me credit for.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Take your pick. There is no mandate.

Rasmussen, 8 August - Republicans 41%, Democrats 39%
    Generic Congressional Ballot - Rasmussen Reports™

Gallup, 10 August - 25% support for Tea Party
    Gallup.Com - Daily News, Polls, Public Opinion on Government, Politics, Economics, Management

CBS, 4 August - 72% disapprove of Republican Congress
    Poll: Disapproval of Congress hits all-time high - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

USA Today, 9 August - Voters aren't happy with anyone.
    Poll: Will anti-Congress mood cause another 'wave' election? - USATODAY.com

It is interesting how you pick and choose disparate polls that are totally unrelated to each other. Also interesting that I can use some of your sources to dispute some of your sources. For example your Gallup poll shows 25% support for the Tea Party, suggesting that the Tea Party is not mainstream but if you ask about the VALUES of the Tea Party and do a poll then it looks like 42% of Americans believe the Tea Party is more in tune with their values than Congress. That clearly suggests that the Tea Party is far more mainstream than Gallup suggests . . . just ask Rasmussen Polling (which is one of your sources) =>Voters Still Express More Confidence in Tea Party Than in Congress - Rasmussen Reports™

Further, you cite the fact that people are unhappy with Congress as a reason for there not being a mandate but that has displeasure has NOTHING to do with mandates. Mandates are based on trends of beliefs and they come with winning elections. Clearly the GOP got a mandate to stop ObamaCare, and stop the Democrats. That much is a mandate that they got. But it is unclear what else the GOP got in the last election cycle.

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I'm left wondering just one thing. How is a party that isn't a party be responsible for the downgrade and the general downfall of the economy? I have to wonder if it isn't the politicians on both sides looking for a convenient scapegoat, the talking heads in media are reporting it, and the sheeple are simply yammering the talking points they're fed.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    By the way, Jake46184, sorry about the threadjack. It would seem that ryknoll3 wants to argue about a parenthetical comment rather than the main topic. How can I not accommodate him? Feel free to return to the main point about mandates, or the lack thereof. I'll play.

I don't think you're sorry at all.

And how exactly did the banking deregulation cause the crash?

Bummer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    West side of Indy
    I don't think you're sorry at all.

Ok, you got me there, but I would have rather argued the primary point rather than a casual aside.

And how exactly did the banking deregulation cause the crash?

Primary trigger, actually. Deregulation allowed the bankers to ignore the folks whose job it was to tell them that the borrower couldn't afford it and the property wasn't worth it. They took their profits at the beginning of the loan. (Amortization schedule, anyone?) Deregulation also gave them a chance to figure out how to game the formula Freddy and Fanny used to calculate the overall value of a group of loans. The bankers then artfully bundled the bad stuff with good stuff and sold it off to Freddie and Fanny (the Democrat's part in the crash). All of this came directly from the Wall Street Journal while it was taking place. I'm not into money enough to come up with it myself. In fact I was recipient of way too much money for not enough property when I re-mortgaged a house. The only difference is that I have a good enough job to be able to pay it off. In my case the light bulb only came on after I read all that stuff in the WSJ. By the way, the WSJ also said that the first outfit to go bankrupt was a condo place in Miami that had never let a low income individual darken their doorstep. There were other additional factors, but that was the primary trigger. And no, I'm not going to look up cites for you. I argued this on Topix when it was fresh, complete with full citation. I don't really care what anybody thinks today.

Bottom line: both parties played a part. The Democrats did setup. The Republicans supplied the trigger.

Top Bottom