• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got my first kydex holster. So far, it seems to do what it's supposed to. It's a very thin IWB holster, noticeably thinner than my Sparks SS2.

The holster seems very noisy on the draw as compared to leather. Is it just me, or is this a serious consideration?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I figure if you're drawing the weapon, the sound it makes is the last thing that will matter.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Some are noisier than others as well. If the holster uses a detent or molding into the trigger guard for retention, it will make a "click" as the gun is released. Those that use just friction for retention are less likely to make that characteristic noise.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I don't think my Peter's custom holsters OWB prototype is very noisy at all. Sure it makes a bit more noise than the mole skin lined leather safariland.... but I doubt anyone not standing directly next to you can hear it.

I am curious if there's any wear difference between kydex and leather. I'd think leather would wear the finish more than the kydex due to more direct contact. There's very little chance either material is as hard as the finish on the firearm, but clearly carried weapons all show holster wear.

I'll stop rambling.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    My favorate IWB is from Raven Concealment. It is adjustable for depth. They have popular models in stock but will custom mold to your gun and specification if you bring your carrry pistol to the Indy 1500 and leave it for the day. By far the most comfortable of several IWB's i've tried. Used for a High Power on a older fat guy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wear from a holster is most frequently due to debris and grit inside the holster. This is especially true for leather. Once you get something gritty embedded in the leather, it's going to accelerate wear on the exterior of the gun.

Given that, I'm not someone who worries about such things. So the finish on my gun gets scratched or worn. So what?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My favorate IWB is from Raven Concealment. It is adjustable for depth. They have popular models in stock but will custom mold to your gun and specification if you bring your carrry pistol to the Indy 1500 and leave it for the day. By far the most comfortable of several IWB's i've tried. Used for a High Power on a older fat guy.

That is the one I have.

I ordered mine online after seeing them at the show and coming home to do some research. I actually talked to them at the show about a double mag holder, but the guy started talking holsters and said something that stuck in my head. He said the next thinnest holster to theirs would be carrying Mexican.

I would advise getting one at the show if you're gonna. My web order took three weeks.

Top Bottom