• ...and so much more!
  • JimFloyd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Ropes and Knots course - Indy - $25.00

Ropes and knots can be used for many applications, but can be especially important when enjoying the great outdoors. Learn knot tying in a relaxed and fun atmosphere with ample hands-on practice.

This interactive 2 hour program includes:

• Rope and knot terminology
    • Basic concepts of tying knots
    • How to tie 10 of the most useful knots
    • Types of rope
    • Rope care and storage
    • Application of knots in everyday life
    • And more!
    To register: http://cicwropes.eventbrite.com/

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Ever since my navy days, when ever needing to secure the end of a rope, I always use a Bowland knot, as the rope will break before the knot will.

All knots reduce the strength of the rope. Some more than others. If memory serves, the bowline is pretty good as knots go, however, at 80% of rope strength. [Actually, I just checked and the data seems to suggest about 65% of rope strength.]

I can't believe no one has mentioned the sheetbend, btw. This is a must know knot as far as I'm concerned (unless someone knows a better one for tying 2 ropes of different sizes together).

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I can't believe no one has mentioned the sheetbend, btw. This is a must know knot as far as I'm concerned (unless someone knows a better one for tying 2 ropes of different sizes together).

Post #17 :D

Works just as well for same sized ropes too.

9rows

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    my maternal grandfather was a veterinarian.

part of his curriculum at ohio state (in the 30's) required that he take a knot tying class. obviously the focus there was on securing animals and similar.

that man could tie a knot.

i loved going fishing with him. tying up the boat, tying off anchor lines, different knots to secure the fly to the tippet for different situations, etc....

btw, he also gave me my first gun. he was a cool old dude. i miss him.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    Some other useful knots, Figure nine (like an eight, but an extra wrap, less strength reduction and easier to untie), Butterfly, can tie on a standing line and is unidirectional, water knot, used for tying webbing together, basically an overhand follow thru, back up with overhand knots for life support. A bowline should usually be backed up as it can come undone if used in life support. A double figure eight is handy for self equalizing and a set of prusiks are handy for securing a rope or holding a load.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    knots & splices

Ebook pdf format, any one interested feel free to download. Site link is,

removed due to possible corruption, sorry guys and gals.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Ebook pdf format, any one interested feel free to download. Site link is,

~~deleted link~~
    Don't know whats up with the site linked above. What I do know is Spybot started going crazy detecting registry and winlogon changes attempting to be made by them.:xmad:

Last edited:

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    It was mediafire, I scanned my computer and reviewed the registey for unknowns. Then I clicked on my link, and, yup media fire, ads poped up and banners. It the free version wadda ya expect. My security did not post any alerts, some times my spyware has false reports, but I submit they analize then fix or let me know what it is. Not saying it was false reports, because in effect it was a alert generating event, redirecting site app.

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Man, I use all the Boy Scout knots pretty regularly, but that's probably because I still work at a BSA camp.

I also climb, so add in all the eights and their variants, plus prusik and everything else it takes to rig anchors. I do a fair amount of boating too, so gotta know your basic hitches. Just make sure to tie stuff slippery.

One handed bowline is cool and all, but who can do the a one handed clove hitch? Good if you're hanging from anchors and need to secure a rope to a carabiner and clip it to you.

And the ultimate useless but showy knot... the thrown figure eight. Takes a decent rope, totally worthless, but looks cool.

YouTube - Flying Figure Eight

ETA: That dudes description on how to tie an eight regularly is about as confusing as you can get.

Top Bottom