• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I was sitting in my easy chair last night enjoying the "Bond - a - thon", to keep my hands busy I was practicing tying my knots. I have a core group of knots that I know well enough to tie without really thinking about them to hard. I was wondering what useful knots any of you have found or use on a daily basis.

Mine include;
    Double Fisherman, Overhand, Clove Hitch, Square Knot, Bowline, Figure 8, Water Knot, Prusik Knot, and the Hondo for starters

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    One of my favorites is one that was taught to me as the "inside-out bowline". I like it because it can be tied in less than two seconds (literally) and is as strong as a bowline.

I also like the hangman's noose. :dunno:

Blessings,
    B

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Don't forget the double figure eight.

jeremy, many of those are used in high angle rope rescue. Any training?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    i work with boy scouts on a regular basis and have to keep my knot tying up to par. if not, the little buggers will rip me a new one. hehe. also work with the rescue at a steel mill. i've been teaching the figure 8 follow through for rescue work.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I learn to tie knots, then I don't practice and I forget. I can always do a square knot (too simple) and some variations of it, and two half hitches, but I need to peek at a diagram if I'm going to get a bowline tied in less than 5-10 minutes of experimenting.

I'd like to be able to tie a trucker's knot for when I forget bungees or my ratchet straps. I always have 550 cord even if I forget the straps.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I learn to tie knots, then I don't practice and I forget. I can always do a square knot (too simple) and some variations of it, and two half hitches, but I need to peek at a diagram if I'm going to get a bowline tied in less than 5-10 minutes of experimenting.

I'd like to be able to tie a trucker's knot for when I forget bungees or my ratchet straps. I always have 550 cord even if I forget the straps.

remind me to show you a one-handed bowline. easier to remember. and tie.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hey! Please show me how to tie a one-handed bowline! I hear they are easier to remember. And to tie.

<smarta** mode: deactivate>

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I was sitting in my easy chair last night enjoying the "Bond - a - thon", to keep my hands busy I was practicing tying my knots. I have a core group of knots that I know well enough to tie without really thinking about them to hard. I was wondering what useful knots any of you have found or use on a daily basis.

Mine include;
    Double Fisherman, Overhand, Clove Hitch, Square Knot, Bowline, Figure 8, Water Knot, Prusik Knot, and the Hondo for starters

Overhand, Clove Hitch, Bowline, Figure 8, Prusik Knot, Taught line or Wagoner's Hitch, don't know the names of a few off hand but one is the sailor's tie for shoes to keep them tied even with round laces, Miller's or constrictor knot, heaving line or Monkey's fist, sheep shank, highwayman's knot, palomar, blood knot, nail knot, rapala knot, snell

Those are the ones I use most but I don't really remember a lot of the knots I remember when I need them. Especially all the names and different names for the same knot.

Yeah, I like knots.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hey! Please show me how to tie a one-handed bowline! I hear they are easier to remember. And to tie.

<smarta** mode: deactivate>

They are. Here's the bow line so you know how it works.
    Bowline

Now to do it one handed is a little different but ends up the same knot.

Grab the very end, the tag end of the line. Decide how big you want the loop to be and with the same hand put the tag end on top of the line where you want the knot. Now holding both the tag end and the standing line in the same hand with the tag end on top, twist the standing line away from you so the tag end comes up in "the hole". Pust it around the back of the tree and pull it back in the hole with your free fingers and pull the knot tight.

After you've done it a couple times you'll never tie a bowline any other way.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Square knot, sheet bend, bowline, two half hitches, clove hitch, timber hitch, taut line hitch, figure eight knot for the basics.

Then sheepshank, surgeons knot, bowline on a bight, for more specific stuff.

Then eye splice, end splice, and line splice for showing off - I don't use sisal or hemp rope anymore since synthetics are so much stronger.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Buy a book on tying knots and keep it in your SHTF Bag. Practice tying these knots, you will need them if the SHTF.

Don't forget the rope!

Top Bottom