• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ordinary I would purchase a pair of keens for summertime wear. Seems like the last two pairs wore out in just over a year. The sides became separated from the sole. With their price tag having gone up over the $100 mark, I just can not justify spending that much on something that last about a year.

Anyone have good luck with another brand?

OkieGirl

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    iti anunka (In the trees)
    I've always had great success with Merrell hiking footwear.

The Moab has been my go-to boot for many years (probably on my third pair now), they hold up to wear and tear and the abuse I put them through. Most of the bigger 'outdoors' stores have some sandals for hiking but the list of preferences can be pretty person specific. I've got a pair of Merrell Sandals that I wear nearly everywhere but would never wear them hiking. The terrain I love is usually very rocky and sandals just aren't a solid choice for me in those environments. Best of luck to you in your quest...

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I've always had great success with Merrell hiking footwear.

The Moab has been my go-to for many years (probably on my third pair now), they hold up to wear and tear and the abuse I put them through. Most of the bigger 'outdoors' stores have that line available to try on and wear around. I also have a pair of Keens that are the same ankle boot that I have for my Merrell's but I'm afraid they aren't nearly as comfortable. A good hiking boot now days will easily run you around the $100 mark...but I'm finding that you do get what you pay for. Best of luck in your hunt for your next pair.
    Thanks for the most part I am ok with spending around the $100 mark, it’s I have been kind of dissatisfied with the keens of late. The last pair I had I refrained from wearing them on the homestead, kept them dry and kind of felt that they did not keep up with me. And after a season of light use they failed in the same manner as the previous pair which I took no such precautions.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I just got a par of Keens this year but haven't worn them yet. They seem well-made, but dang, your story has me worried wcd! I've never spent 100 bucks on any footwear before these in my life. :ugh:

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    I just got a par of Keens this year but haven't worn them yet. They seem well-made, but dang, your story has me worried wcd! I've never spent 100 bucks on any footwear before these in my life. :ugh:
    They were comfortable enough, the first time they failed I thought it was just me being hard on things, which is true, I like things that work as hard as I do.

when the second pair did the same thing with really light use I kind of figured it was not me after all.

Hope yours hold up for you.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    They were comfortable enough, the first time they failed I thought it was just me being hard on things, which is true, I like things that work as hard as I do.

when the second pair did the same thing with really light use I kind of figured it was not me after all.

Hope yours hold up for you.
    The pair I'm wearing right now are Magellan Outdoors. I think I got them from Sportsman's Guide. They've held up really well for over 2 years now. I don't know how well they'd do for hiking though because there's only a single strap in the back, unlike the Keens which are a full foot/closed heel construction. The Magellans have been fine for camping and every day wear though.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Another vote for chacos. They last and are comfortable. I finally replaced my last pair after about 10 years. And I wasn't easy on them either.

Top Bottom