• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Empires Burn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Why does everyone I talk to "push" this brand so much? There is nothing different from any other brand now. They dont make their guns by hand anymore which was their only reason for being help so high. They fired all their gunsmiths and everything is done by machines now. So why are they still so highly reguarded? I dont see the difference. Maybe its just me.

Any ideas?

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I really like my Kimber and would recommend it to anyone. That said I also recommend Colt, Springfield, Dan Wesson, etc. also. My advice to anyone looking for a 1911 is to look at all the manufacturers and decide for themselves what options, etc. that they like, buy it and enjoy.

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County
    I like my Kimber a lot as well. I have heard good and bad about the brand from a variety of people. I think their strongest selling point at this time is their variety in features and in styles (gun fashion). You are likely to find something that is very attractive to you personally. Whereas, brands like Colt and S&W don't have a lot to choose from. Springfield Armory has a good selection and I think Para Ordnance does as well. I am not sure of their reliability though. I know that Taurus doesn't have a very good selection or reliability, and judging by their website, they don't offer anything in 3 or 4 inch barrels.

Anyways, I like my Kimber. She's a beauty and I want to pick up another one. The problem is the price.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    200711260v1_350x350_Front_Color-Black.jpg

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Why does everyone I talk to "push" this brand so much? There is nothing different from any other brand now. They dont make their guns by hand anymore which was their only reason for being help so high. They fired all their gunsmiths and everything is done by machines now. So why are they still so highly reguarded? I dont see the difference. Maybe its just me.

Any ideas?

Good advertising.

Cwood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 30, 2008
    NE Ohio
    I have a series I Gold Combat and love it. You can not get a 1911 built that well unless you step up to Wilson, Nighthawk, etc.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Kimbers are nice pistols, I use to own 2. I bought mine when they were in the $600 range too. That said I don't understand the extreme praise for them. I'm not saying they are not worthy of praise but I've seen some people take it a bit overboard.

I know the prices on Kimber have went through the roof. I personally would look into Dan Wesson or STI before Kimber simply for the increased prices.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A buddy of mine showed me his new Kimber yesterday. It was the lightweight model with 3" barrel and Crimson Trace grips. I have to say that the fit and finish was excellent. The slide moved very smoothly on the frame and the slide to frame fit was tight. The trigger pull was crisp and probably set at around 5 pounds. All the safety features worked. It is a nice gun. Their quality control seems to be excellent.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Finish? Kimbers have a horrid finish. Sure, their fancy SS guns are pretty nice but their black pistols look like they have a bake on finish that I've seen flake off.

And their desert warriors- same BBQ paint.

Blah!

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    Finish? Kimbers have a horrid finish. Sure, their fancy SS guns are pretty nice but their black pistols look like they have a bake on finish that I've seen flake off.

And their desert warriors- same BBQ paint.

Blah!

Horrid? wow I must have an exception.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    No, you don't. If it's black, it's painted. I just don't go for painted guns- their paint is pretty thick and looks a little rough- you know what I'm talking about. I don't know if I'd call it orange peel or what but it's often pretty rough, randomly...

I have seen quite a few where the paint was pretty smooth but it's still paint.

I may need to find an FFL in your area this saturday. Someone is supposed to come from KY to look at my P7M13 while I'm down visiting my sister in Avon. Can you suggest anyone?

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    No, you don't. If it's black, it's painted. I just don't go for painted guns- their paint is pretty thick and looks a little rough- you know what I'm talking about. I don't know if I'd call it orange peel or what but it's often pretty rough, randomly...

I have seen quite a few where the paint was pretty smooth but it's still paint.

I may need to find an FFL in your area this saturday. Someone is supposed to come from KY to look at my P7M13 while I'm down visiting my sister in Avon. Can you suggest anyone?

As far as FFL in avon there is Fort Liberty Firearms,
    in Plainfield there is Plainfeild Shooting Suppy and in Brownsburg, Preimier Arms.

Any of those should be able to help.

So you are pretty much down on Kimber I see that. The two I have left they are my favorite mid price range guns.
    The finish on the AGEIS is flawless no orange peel, very proffesional. My other one is a TAC Pro II, Also very nice.
    Both shoot exceptionally well and are a notch above springfield to me.

Doesn't matter to me wether anybody likes or dislike or buys or doesn't buy Kimber but from what I have seen in the last year I am impressed with them. Until I get burned I will be content with them.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Yes, I am down from what I've seen. BUT if yours are nice, which is why you've kept them, then you've found a good couple of shooters.

Thanks for the info on the shops.

Crimson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2008
    Columbus, Indiana
    I have two kimbers. A Stainless target and a pro carry II. They are both great guns. And I am buying a Dan Wesson this weekend, I hope. But dont just look at kimber when shopping. There are alot of good gun makers out there.

ditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    All of the kimbers that I have been around are consistantly having smooth actions. I believe you would have to send a colt to a custom shop to be as good as a Kimber is right out of the factory.

johnh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2008
    Mooresville, IN
    I have a pro carry 2 and I love it, over 500 and no problems, i traded a taurus toward it. Havent seen anything with the finish but now I may have to take a closer look at it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I like the accuracy of my Kimber but I opted for the 9mm version in a Commander sized slide.My fit/finish is above reproach!

Top Bottom