• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I mean, lets be honest... they are fine pistols, but they are just lacking the features to justify anything more than $700 (and that would be for a minty one). I have seen several Wesson Valors at the $1200 mark lately and have seen a few at the 1K mark. A pistol that surely kicks the crap out of not only this Kimber, but every/any Kimber made to date.

I was looking for a Clack for a long time to use as a base gun to send to either Chuck Rodgers or Lou Biando. I stopped shortly after realizing that Clack owners thought they had something that they are just not.

Fine pistol... be proud to own it... but far from a Valor, which is just a few hundred dollars north of what you want for your Kimber.
    You short sell some of the original "Clack" Kimbers, my first Clack was just as nice and refined as my Wilson CQB, but after that, quality and/or care went downhill to the point that Kimbers are overpriced paper weighty versions of their former selves!

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I can agree with this.

My first gen isn't even a clackamas...but it's much nicer than any springer, wesson, or colt that I have experienced. It's better felt than telt as an old timer might say.

I've owned and shot $1200-1400 1911's and just because they command that price, doesn't make them worth it.
    Feeling my 1st gen kimber next to a buddies les baer....my kimber is nicer. ....imho....not just because it is mine, but because it has a better "feel"...but I don't like tight guns either.

Quality is subjective I suppose.....you couldn't pay me to own a new kimber.

Say what you want, but I will invite anyone to compare my gun to theirs....bring your wilson or your brown.
    They don't make them like this anymore....and maybe this is just one of the lucky ones....could be a fluke.

God bless
    - Shred

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I can agree with this.

My first gen isn't even a clackamas...but it's much nicer than any springer, wesson, or colt that I have experienced. It's better felt than telt as an old timer might say.

I've owned and shot $1200-1400 1911's and just because they command that price, doesn't make them worth it.
    Feeling my 1st gen kimber next to a buddies les baer....my kimber is nicer. ....imho....not just because it is mine, but because it has a better "feel"...but I don't like tight guns either.

Quality is subjective I suppose.....you couldn't pay me to own a new kimber.

Say what you want, but I will invite anyone to compare my gun to theirs....bring your wilson or your brown.
    They don't make them like this anymore....and maybe this is just one of the lucky ones....could be a fluke.

God bless
    - Shred

Shred, I have owned my fair share of series 1 kimbers. Sadly, I am a good bit away from you or I would have taken you up on that offer any day of the week. Any of the semi custom pistols (NH, etc) will beat out the kimbers in every aspect... its just not in the same class/a fair or even comparison.

There is nothing wrong with the series 1 pistols... my point was that for a base model pistol with no checkering, not the best lock up/fitting (its loose), sub par sights, and mim parts... its just not a real apples to apples comparison.

If you are going to compare it to a compare a series 1 kimber to a colt 1991, base model SA, or kimber custom ii... Ill buy it 100%.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I ended up re-reading my post...and was not sure what i was thinking...musta just been all wispy and whimsical...Ive never even fondled a wilson or NH, or yost or an AllenM.

I suppose that quality can be biased by perspective...Checkering is neat and can serve a purpose, but I dont like it on a front strap, I can not tolerate three dot sights, so the blade style target sights work better for me.

As for MIM parts...I prefer machined and forged parts myself as well as you....but those are easily replaced at a small cost.
    I'll throttle my tone back a little.

God bless
    -Shred

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    I had a clack. sent it off to a well known gunsmith who made it an amazing pistol. Loved it a lot and there was a huge difference in quality compared to any mass produced 1911. they were much more on level with a semi custom. When I got mine back It was on par with any other custom 1911. Unfortunately had to sell her during some rough times but it was by far one of my absolute favorite 1911's.

cundiff5535

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Nwi
    I had a clack. sent it off to a well known gunsmith who made it an amazing pistol. Loved it a lot and there was a huge difference in quality compared to any mass produced 1911. they were much more on level with a semi custom. When I got mine back It was on par with any other custom 1911. Unfortunately had to sell her during some rough times but it was by far one of my absolute favorite 1911's.

not to be an ass but who built your "custom" 1911?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Keep the clack. The klackamas markings were before the move when kimber was known for nice target and sporting rifles. The pistol was assembled in New York with special ATF allowance for the old Oregon stampings. To some the clack stamp would add a 500 dollar premium on the pistol.

Top Bottom