• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I cut them and put Tordon RTU on the exposed end of the root. It has killed everything with a cambrian layer I've put it on.

"Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But THEY never met any Precambrian lifeforms, did they?"

I hope you mean cambium :D

To Hornadylnl:

Tordon applied in the fall is best, but be careful you don't get flashover and poison your trees as well. FWIW, you don't say what vines you are treating, but grapevines aren't universally bad. It's a good idea to leave some on non-timber trees because they are an important soft-mast source for birds and the like. If it's Japanese Honeysuckle, nuke it from orbit....

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    "Some people think I'm over-prepared, paranoid...maybe even a little crazy. But THEY never met any Precambrian lifeforms, did they?"

I hope you mean cambium :D

To Hornadylnl:

Tordon applied in the fall is best, but be careful you don't get flashover and poison your trees as well. FWIW, you don't say what vines you are treating, but grapevines aren't universally bad. It's a good idea to leave some on non-timber trees because they are an important soft-mast source for birds and the like. If it's Japanese Honeysuckle, nuke it from orbit....

I never thought you were crazy, but the others apply

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    This is similar to what I have although I haven't found any coiled around a tree like this. Some have been up to 3" in diameter. Most of these vines start nowhere near the base of a tree and usually don't touch the tree within 10' of the ground.

vines.jpg

I've had a few that are really small diameter and they're practically glued to the tree all the way up.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    The small ones in diameter with hairy roots glued to the tree are either poison ivy or Virginia Creeper, both of which look a lot alike until you get to the mature leaves and share the exact same habitat. The circling vine COULD be either honeysuckle or Trumpet Creeper, hard to tell from the photo.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I never really looked that closely when the leaves were up to see what the ends of the vines looked like. Now that the leaves are down, you can see how much stress they're putting on some of the trees. A few look like they're being strangled. I'll try to get some close up pics of the vines in the next few days.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Depends on the time of year. If this was September then hell yes. Now, probably, though some plants have already gone dormant and are not transporting into the root system. In the late spring, maybe not depending on species.

I'll go through and treat the rest and check to see what comes back next year. If necessary, I'll do it again.

The forester I had out also pointed out a tree that he recommended to kill off. He took a hatchet to the bark and had me smell it. It stunk like the orange lady bugs. He said its a nuicance tree but I forget the name of it. Would you happen to know what it is?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I'll go through and treat the rest and check to see what comes back next year. If necessary, I'll do it again.

The forester I had out also pointed out a tree that he recommended to kill off. He took a hatchet to the bark and had me smell it. It stunk like the orange lady bugs. He said its a nuicance tree but I forget the name of it. Would you happen to know what it is?

What are those trees? Around here everyone calls them "stink trees".
    Are they native?
    The trees I'm refering to vaguely resemble a walnut tree.

Hornady I think it's a little late in the year to be killing vines but I'm no expert either.
    Basically the plants and trees are dormant, or seem to be. The sap is down, there is no photosynthesis (sp) taking place.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What are those trees? Around here everyone calls them "stink trees".
    Are they native?
    The trees I'm refering to vaguely resemble a walnut tree.

Hornady I think it's a little late in the year to be killing vines but I'm no expert either.
    Basically the plants and trees are dormant, or seem to be. The sap is down, there is no photosynthesis (sp) taking place.

I may go ahead and wait on cutting the rest of the vines and do it in the spring. I'm trying to get as much of the tops I can.

I'm hoping to find a name for the stink tree so I can try to identify them and ring them. The forester said I should get rid of them. I need to get him back out and come up with a game plan for timber management. I'll probably never have it logged again as long as I'm living but it would be nice to pass this woods on to my daughter with a substantial stand of good timber.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009

Probably Tree of Heaven.

Top Bottom