Kids, guns and fun - paid for by Chicago. Was your weekend this much fun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    NRAYouth2012_01.jpg

Chicago buy back money put to good use

by John Boch (aka Templar223)
    Guns Save Life

Darnall's GunWorks and Ranges hosted their 18th annual National Rifle Association Youth Shooting Camp July 26-29th west of Bloomington, IL. One hundred thirty young people ages 8-16 showed up to enjoy a long weekend of learning basic firearm safety and the safe and responsible use of firearms under the close supervision of experienced instructors.

The Darnall's camp is the longest running NRA Youth Shooting Camp in the nation, and this year's attendance was the largest ever. Dozens more last-minute applicants were turned away for lack of capacity.

The camp is a prime example of the good work the NRA does each year making our families and society safer by teaching firearm safety, along with the safe and responsible use of firearms in general.

Some have attributed the crushing interest in the camp to publicity from Guns Save Life's recent undertaking to trade unwanted, unused rusted junk for perfectly good cash at the annual Chicago "Don't Kill A Dream Save A Life" gun buy-back event.

Guns Save Life left Chicago with $6240 in the form of pre-paid credit cards after selling a big pile of rusty junk at the "no questions asked" event.

Monies from Chicago bought virtually all of the ammunition used at this year's camp - roughly $2500 worth of shooting fun and excitement. In addition, Guns Save Life donated four of the twenty-three guns given away to the families of some of the lucky campers at the end of the event. The guns provided by Guns Save Life were paid for with the Windy City's pre-paid cards, and yes, they are valid at gun stores, despite claims from the buyback organizers otherwise.

Instruction at the camp was provided by two dozen or more experienced instructors including Olympic-level coaches and a champion shooter. Shooting stations included trap shooting, Cowboy Action, air rifles, small-bore rifle, small-bore pistol, archery, hunter education and ethics on a firearms training simulator, Ruger Steel Challenge and more.

Visiting younger siblings weren't left out as some had a chance to shoot with the assistance of instructors while their parents watched.

The kids loved the camp, both the shooting events in the day and the night-time activities and camping on the property overnight. I watched as young girls literally jump up and down with excited anticipation waiting their turn to shoot at the pistol station and smiles and laughs were in abundance.

Overall, it was a great weekend sharing the fun and excitement of the shooting sports with the next generation of shooters and future gun owners.

And it felt even better realizing the delicious irony that all of that ammunition we used was provided by those who eschew firearm ownership and ignore the proven benefits of law-abiding firearm ownership, both in self-defense from attack and recreational opportunities.

We made our streets safer this last weekend by teaching tomorrow's gun owners to be experts at gun safety. Each of them can share this knowledge with their friends and siblings as well.

Some might wonder what were the worst things to happen to a bunch of kids and adults handling guns all weekend long in a responsible fashion? There was an asthma attack and one of the volunteer kitchen staff fell and broke her arm, only to return to finish working after a trip to the ER.

It was completely unlike the violence-plagued City of Chicago, where guns are highly restricted and five people were murdered in less than twelve hours Thursday.

One of these days, Chicago residents will realize that much of the violence they experience is a consequence of decades ignoring the proven benefits of legal firearm ownership, especially for those least able to defend themselves when disarmed.

NRAYouth2012_02.jpg

NRAYouth2012_03.jpg

NRAYouth2012_04.jpg

NRAYouth2012_05.jpg

NRAYouth2012_06.jpg

NRAYouth2012_07.jpg

NRAYouth2012_08.jpg

NRAYouth2012_09.jpg

NRAYouth2012_10.jpg

Let me know if you like the pix and I will post more...

John

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Do we do this in Indiana?

*Quickly puts on Director at Large hat*

Why yes, yes we do, and just let me tell you about a wonderful organization that spearheads such efforts--the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association.

ISRPA Home

logo.gif

ISRPA works with local gun clubs, 4-H, Boy Scouts of America, and other organization to encourage structured, supervised youth shooting opportunities which bring discipline and education to young people all over Indiana. Please contact me for further information.

As well, check with your local gun club to see what programs they have. We are very fortunate in Indiana that many gun clubs in our state are working very hard to train the next generation of safe shooters.

*Disclosure: I am a Director-at-Large of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association.

tblosl

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Evansville
    I took my 10 year old to one for the first time in Newburgh at Red Brush. He rated as the most fun he'd ever had. It was a great learning experience. I noticed a significant difference in his accuracy and safety every time we have shot since then.

templar223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    The last few posts cheer me up! We need more of these throughout the nation. They are a LOT of work to put together and execute, but the rewards the deliver are virtually priceless.

One young man said he loved the smell of spent shell casings. I share that love.

From an old Blue Press piece 15-years-ago where I first read it and was forever impressed by it, I shared the following line with this young man about his comment.

"Yes, sir. I too love that smell. You know what it smells like?"

"I dunno," he said to me.

"Young man, it smells like freedom."

Pooty22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I agree with the others that this is a great event. It's unfortunate that so many young people and even people my age that have never seen a gun in real life, let alone had the opportunity these kids had at this event to learn about firearms in a safe and fun manner. I really hope this event and others like it continue to thrive.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    If you get the opportunity take a kid to an Appleseed. They won't just have fun, they'll
    learn to shoot well and get educated, both in safety and history. (let the education part be
    a surprise).

Top Bottom