Kids, does he look like a bad guy or a good guy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well, I guess I need to ask you this; what is your definition of critical thinking? I'm definitely agreeing with you on a certain level here.

The ability to think for one's self, of course. :laugh:

Okay, j/k.

At a minimum: the ability to analyze logically and rationally without presuming/conidering a pre-existing self-serving desired end point. Let the evidence lead one to a conclusion and not the other way around.

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy

Okay, j/k.

At a minimum: the ability to analyze logically and rationally without presuming/conidering a pre-existing self-serving desired end point. Let the evidence lead one to a conclusion and not the other way around.

:yesway: Definitely in accordance with you now. 100% agree with that statement. Good chat :D

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

Okay, j/k.

In other words - The opposite of "Blond". :rockwoot:

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    You both must have been out of town.... Bloomington:rolleyes:

This is what I was thinking too. Bloomington is a nice place with nice people. With that being said, Bloomington is a bit too liberal for my liking. Just my :twocents:

Glad it was a good experience for all, unusual but good.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    :nailbite: You are lucky to be alive! Little girls the most dangerous of all. Glad you still had your guard up cause they're known for disarming the best of us.
    Little Girls are Fast.................... Ninja Fast. :mallninja:

This is the reason they don't allow us to be armed on school grounds. That's where all the little gun grabbing girls hang out.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    Ha, great story. You tell it well - I was definitely thinking this was going to be a 'man with a gun' horror story considering how many we hear of those on INGO.

Demo

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2010
    Thanks for the sharing the fun story OP!

Is it safe to assume the gentlemen "using" you was not OCing?

Was the event the longest moment of your life?...

My children wouldn't look twice at someone OCing because they are accustomed to seeing me carrying. It's sad to think that the antis' children are being raised from a entirely different perspective.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I grew up in B-town. It was a decent place full of patriotic Americans, conservatives. My step father owned a couple clothing stores on the square, we frequented the ELKs lodge for dinner.....long story short, Bloomington was destroyed by IU and Cook through the late '80s and early '90s and is currently unrecognizable in all manners, from the people to the buildings to the laws to the politics. It really wouldn't bother me much if b-town just moved to Illinois the same way Texans wish Dallas would just become part of Louisiana.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Thanks, everybody, for all the nice comments and rep. It was kind of a fun story.

Thanks for the sharing the fun story OP!

Is it safe to assume the gentlemen "using" you was not OCing?

Was the event the longest moment of your life?...

My children wouldn't look twice at someone OCing because they are accustomed to seeing me carrying. It's sad to think that the antis' children are being raised from a entirely different perspective.

I think these were the only questions asked—
    No, he wasn't OC'ing. That part was kind of odd, I thought. With those beliefs about OC'ing, I'm not sure why he wasn't. Perhaps he doesn't carry. Who knows?

No, I wouldn't say it was the longest moment of my life. I couldn't really say what *was* the longest moment, but that particular one didn't seem all that long.

mtgasten

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Greenfield
    This is a true story.

As I was loading my grocery bags into my car in the Bloomington Walmart parking lot tonight, a minivan stopped short behind me. I figured the driver must have decided he wanted the open spot beside my car, but instead, he exited his vehicle. Coming around the front of his car, he stood about 8-10 feet away and asked, "Sir, do you mind if I use you for a minute?"

Well, that is an unusual question. I closed up my car, locked it, and put my keys away with what I'm sure was a look of uncertainty on my face. It was only a momentary pause before he explained, "It's your pistol. Do you mind if I use you real quick?"

Without words, I indicated permission—if not to "use" me, then at least to see where he was hoping to go with this. He moved past the passenger door, where a woman—likely his wife—leaned out the window with what seemed to be as much interest as I had in what would happen, and opened the sliding door of his minivan.

Two young girls were seated in the middle row bucket seats buckled into car seats. I'm not the best judge of age, but I would guess they were between 4 and 7 years old. "Girls," the stranger began, "does he look like a good guy or a bad guy?"

I waved at them. "Hi there," seemed an appropriate greeting for the unusual event, so that's what I said, smiling.

"A good guy," they replied in unison, though with a hint of uncertainty. "That's right, girls," said the man, who was wearing a U.S. Army sweatshirt. "And what makes you think he is a good guy?" Looking at me, he requested, "Could you turn just a bit so they can see your pistol?"

I turned a bit, wary of turning my back on a stranger even in what seemed to be a situation that wouldn't end in tragedy.

"See that?" The man led. "When you see somebody carrying a gun out in the open like that, it isn't normally going to be a bad guy. Bad guys will try to hide it. You can normally trust somebody like this." The woman muttered, "Not everybody," and of course she was right.

Extending his hand to me, the man thanked me. "Thank you, sir. I just wanted to take the opportunity to show them this." He had a good strong handshake.

"No problem, man. I'm just glad to see there are people teaching their kids this. Take care, and have a good night."

"You, too. And thanks again."

And so ended the best open carry encounter I have EVER had. In Bloomington, Indiana, of all places.

:patriot: :ingo:

You might wanna be careful around those 4-7 year olds....they may take your gun from you lol

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    Good to hear this story. That guy must of lived on the west side of Bloomington, It's were the cool people hang out.

Top Bottom