Kids, does he look like a bad guy or a good guy?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is a true story.

As I was loading my grocery bags into my car in the Bloomington Walmart parking lot tonight, a minivan stopped short behind me. I figured the driver must have decided he wanted the open spot beside my car, but instead, he exited his vehicle. Coming around the front of his car, he stood about 8-10 feet away and asked, "Sir, do you mind if I use you for a minute?"

Well, that is an unusual question. I closed up my car, locked it, and put my keys away with what I'm sure was a look of uncertainty on my face. It was only a momentary pause before he explained, "It's your pistol. Do you mind if I use you real quick?"

Without words, I indicated permission—if not to "use" me, then at least to see where he was hoping to go with this. He moved past the passenger door, where a woman—likely his wife—leaned out the window with what seemed to be as much interest as I had in what would happen, and opened the sliding door of his minivan.

Two young girls were seated in the middle row bucket seats buckled into car seats. I'm not the best judge of age, but I would guess they were between 4 and 7 years old. "Girls," the stranger began, "does he look like a good guy or a bad guy?"

I waved at them. "Hi there," seemed an appropriate greeting for the unusual event, so that's what I said, smiling.

"A good guy," they replied in unison, though with a hint of uncertainty. "That's right, girls," said the man, who was wearing a U.S. Army sweatshirt. "And what makes you think he is a good guy?" Looking at me, he requested, "Could you turn just a bit so they can see your pistol?"

I turned a bit, wary of turning my back on a stranger even in what seemed to be a situation that wouldn't end in tragedy.

"See that?" The man led. "When you see somebody carrying a gun out in the open like that, it isn't normally going to be a bad guy. Bad guys will try to hide it. You can normally trust somebody like this." The woman muttered, "Not everybody," and of course she was right.

Extending his hand to me, the man thanked me. "Thank you, sir. I just wanted to take the opportunity to show them this." He had a good strong handshake.

"No problem, man. I'm just glad to see there are people teaching their kids this. Take care, and have a good night."

"You, too. And thanks again."

And so ended the best open carry encounter I have EVER had. In Bloomington, Indiana, of all places.

:patriot: :ingo:

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Sounds like a great experience. I couldn't imagine how awkward you were feeling at first though :): When someone says, "Can I use you?" I'd be thinking, "Well, sir, I'm flattered but I don't swing that way."

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sounds like a great experience. I couldn't imagine how awkward you were feeling at first though :): When someone says, "Can I use you?" I'd be thinking, "Well, sir, I'm flattered but I don't swing that way."

:laugh:

Im more open minded, I would say "I dont usually swing that way ... but you look like a nice guy". :dunno:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    :nailbite: You are lucky to be alive! Little girls the most dangerous of all. Glad you still had your guard up cause they're known for disarming the best of us.
    Little Girls are Fast.................... Ninja Fast. :mallninja:

Ragenarok007

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    Mooresville
    Not all people in Bloomington are stupid... just the ones that went to college. Ah, my alma mater. Seriously though, I wish they would teach you to think for yourself in college instead of just adopting the views of the instructor of whatever section you happen to register for.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    :nailbite: You are lucky to be alive! Little girls the most dangerous of all. Glad you still had your guard up cause they're known for disarming the best of us.
    Little Girls are Fast.................... Ninja Fast. :mallninja:
    Even the most trained cops, those guys are crazy to OC with all those little girls out there.
    Oh wait if you have a badge it's not the same. ;)

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Not all people in Bloomington are stupid... just the ones that went to college. Ah, my alma mater. Seriously though, I wish they would teach you to think for yourself in college instead of just adopting the views of the instructor of whatever section you happen to register for.

If someone has to "teach you how to think for yourself", than I think Sir, you're beyond teaching. ;)

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not sure what your post meant? A bit lost, I'll admit. Critical thinking skills aren't exactly like "thinking for yourself". Are you saying critical thinking skills are akin to this "thinking for yourself"?

Yeah, I think the ability to think for one's self in completely dependent on a well-developed set of critical thinking skills. You can't have the former without the latter, can you? Or what else would constitute the ability to think for one's self?

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Yeah, I think the ability to think for one's self in completely dependent on a well-developed set of critical thinking skills. You can't have the former without the latter, can you? Or what else would constitute the ability to think for one's self?

Well, I guess I need to ask you this; what is your definition of critical thinking? I'm definitely agreeing with you on a certain level here.

Top Bottom